Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bounty Hunt Went Wrong
Quote | Reply
I'm all for bounty hunting. It is what allows our bail system to work. With that said, it attracts a lot of scumbags. This case should pretty much void whatever licensing this guy holds and he should go to jail to serve notice that you can't just go knocking on doors of innocent people. This is an example of how not to be a bounty hunter.

http://www.azcentral.com/...-with-that/97466110/

I only wish SWAT teams were held to the same standard.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Bounty Hunt Went Wrong [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a much better prank than just sending pizza to someone's house.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should they arrest they Chief of police every time a innocent civilian is traumatized by his cops mistakes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watched the video, I'm not sure what he did that deserves jail time?

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: Bounty Hunt Went Wrong [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think so. Maybe that is unrealistic, but certainly severe penalties should be incurred to discourage such things.

Let's take Florida. It is illegal for you to shoot a police officer that has entered your home, whether justified or not. When I was getting my CWP, my class was taught by a deputy General Counsel at a local Sheriff's dept. So he knew the law. I asked him to elaborate. What if a police officer is in your house illegally. He repeated the law verbatim on the lines that the "castle doctrine doesn't apply in case where it involves a police officer". So I posed a specific instance, where a police officer's ex wife is your current girlfriend and out of jealousy, he enters your home intent to do harm. He again repeated the law as written "castle doctrine doesn't apply in case where it involves a police officer". In other words, you have no castle doctrine rights if it is a police officer period. Whether they are there to serve a warrant, answering a call, or just pissed off at you and wanting to make your life difficult. He said that if the police officer poses a threat to your life, basic self defense provisions apply, but good luck with that. He did say in the scenario I provided, the law would likely be on your side in terms of self defense.

Now, let's see the unintended consequences of that. Bounty hunting isn't legal in florida, so a non-issue there. But there were several instances where lawfully armed homeowners were awoken to the sound of "police" banging on their door or even breaking in. Because they were aware of the law, they didn't not defend themselves, as expected. Thing is, they weren't cops, but actual robbers using their knowledge of the law to at least gain an edge on a homeowner who would likely pose resistance.

Another unintended consequence. I'm not a criminal. I don't live in a bad part of town, so don't really expect accidental raids on my home. So if I wake up at 3:00 to whoever kicking my door in, my alarm going off and kids screaming, I may be inclined to grab by gun and not of the frame of mind to determine if they are police or not. This happens more than you think and the results have been fatal. Even if I or another homeowner weren't to grab a gun, there are potential deadly consequences. Dogs have been murdered, homeowners accidentally shot, and even cops by other officers which were pinned on homeowners. And guess what? Police often are immune to such "accidents". Homeowners not so much. You shoot a cop doing a bad raid on your home, assuming you survive, you are going to jail.

I would prefer these unfortunate encounters be limited. I think No-Knock warrants need to end. I think CI information shouldn't be allowed as the sole source of info for said warrants or any warrants. I think individual officers and immediate commanders should be held personally liable in certain circumstances, and I think that in cases where bad raids are made, by default a minimum payout should occur and it cannot be declined by the homeowner. Why? I don't want to be a homeowner suing a department for a bad call to cover basic cost puts a citizen in the uncomfortable position of having to challenge a police dept. I should not have to file an insurance claim with negative consequences for me because a dept didn't properly vet intel.

I think automatic payments that are significant would put budgetary pressure on departments to properly vet intel before acting on it. But what do I know.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sort of related story I read on the way into work this morning - NJ is more or less eliminating bail (and the bail bondsmen industry). https://www.nytimes.com/...bottom-well&_r=0
Quote Reply
Re: Bounty Hunt Went Wrong [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might be surprised to learn many states allow felons to be bounty hunters. Wait, maybe not, Dog the Bounty Hunter sort of made that a common known thing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, that does not surprise me, though I think it's a bad idea at least with respect to people who have committed violent or financial/fraud felonies.
Quote Reply