Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Be Honest... How many of us wrote the Patriots off? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always next year.....Cant flip heads forever....

FWIW - Coin flipped tails at the start of the game.
Quote Reply
Re: Be Honest... How many of us wrote the Patriots off? [nhunter344] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was my second favorite Super Bowl ever.
Quote Reply
Re: Be Honest... How many of us wrote the Patriots off? [nhunter344] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nhunter344 wrote:

This is going to irk me until next season starts and I can wash this stain from my memory. Sorry Pats fans, this was not an epic comeback, it was a Pats team playing mediocre at best football (even during the "comeback") and an Atlanta team for the most part handing the Pats a victory.

Actually it was pretty much the definition of an epic comeback. Prior to last night, teams down by 17 or more points going into the 4th quarter were 0-124 in NFL playoff history. The 25 point comeback was the biggest in Super Bowl history. Brady threw for 466 yds, another Super Bowl record. A big 4th down conversion in the 3rd to keep the first TD drive alive. Two 2-point conversions when they had to have them. Edelman's catch. "Mediocre at best" is a little revisionist.

I agree that the Falcons made a few big mistakes, and definitely looked gassed in the 4th quarter, but you have to attribute at least some of that to the Pats ability to control time of possession, keep ATL's defense on the field, and wear them down late in the game. Definitely a bit of a choke by the Falcons but also speaks to the Pats preparation and grit.
Last edited by: Dgconner154: Feb 6, 17 19:37
Quote Reply
Re: Be Honest... How many of us wrote the Patriots off? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alcons' owner Arthur Blank and his wife moved down to the field early in the 4th quarter to presumably get ready to accept the Lombardi Trophy. The camera shots of he and his wife watching the game slip away were kind of awesome even though I'm not a Pats fan.

Has anyone made a montage of this yet? They had several shots of them going crazy in the Box. All smiles on the sidelines, some concern....then near tears.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: Be Honest... How many of us wrote the Patriots off? [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kdw wrote:
"Too bad the game was decided by a coin toss"

Not sure what Atl's Off did in the 2nd half to make you think if they'd won the toss they'd have driven driven down the field and scored a TD. More likely they'd have turned it over.

^This
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now you know how Minnesota fans felt in 1998 when ATL made their first SB appearance. Funny, that was the year I stopped watching MN FB (30 year fan) took a couple years off from the NFL and started following NE in 2000 because I really liked Bledsoe. Best move I ever made. My family still suffers as MN fans while I've enjoyed the past 17 years.

nhunter344 wrote:
zed707 wrote:
In any event, the Pats obviously deserved to win as the Falcons offered up the biggest choke job in SB history. Must really suck for their fans.

ETA: to answer the OP, pretty much everybody where we were thought it was over at the half--me included.

This is going to irk me until next season starts and I can wash this stain from my memory. Sorry Pats fans, this was not an epic comeback, it was a Pats team playing mediocre at best football (even during the "comeback") and an Atlanta team for the most part handing the Pats a victory. At times I wondered why Atlanta even sent personnel out onto the field as the conclusion was obvious. Also clock management was horrendous. Atlanta is playing like ass, NE is scoring at will, you barely have a lead, time is running out and four or five times that I noticed, you snap the ball with 20 seconds left on the play clock with a running game clock.

I fully expected to come into work today and open SI.com and see the headline, "Atlanta secretly switches places with local high school team during halftime!"

As for the OP: I knew the outcome as soon as the second half started. Reminded me of the 1st round of march madness when a 16 seed is up by one at halftime and gets blown away in the second half because they used all of their energy in the first half. ATL looked spent after the half.
Quote Reply
Re: Be Honest... How many of us wrote the Patriots off? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
nhunter344 wrote:

This is going to irk me until next season starts and I can wash this stain from my memory. Sorry Pats fans, this was not an epic comeback, it was a Pats team playing mediocre at best football (even during the "comeback") and an Atlanta team for the most part handing the Pats a victory.

Actually it was pretty much the definition of an epic comeback. Prior to last night, teams down by 17 or more points going into the 4th quarter were 0-124 in NFL playoff history. The 25 point comeback was the biggest in Super Bowl history. Brady threw for 466 yds, another Super Bowl record. A big 4th down conversion in the 3rd to keep the first TD drive alive. Two 2-point conversions when they had to have them. Edelman's catch. "Mediocre at best" is a little revisionist.

I agree that the Falcons made a few big mistakes, and definitely looked gassed in the 4th quarter, but you have to attribute at least some of that to the Pats ability to control time of possession, keep ATL's defense on the field, and wear them down late in the game. Definitely a bit of a choke by the Falcons but also speaks to the Pats preparation and grit.

Did they win the game? Yes? Did they come from a large deficit to do so? Yes. Not taking the win away from the Pats.

Its really just semantics, but epic comeback to me doesn't involve one team completely choking (I'm including player and coaches here) and handing the game to the other team. Epic to me means a team grinding its way back through extraordinary play and miraculously pulling off a win. Getting first downs and free yards from stupid penalties and dropped picks isn't exactly grinding it out. The Pats played decent football, decent enough to win, but there wasn't anything eye-popping about it. And Edelman's catch? Right place, right time (see Immaculate Reception). There shouldn't be a receiver in the NFL who should drop a ball that is dropped right into their hands like that. Exciting play no doubt, definitely a highlight that will last for a long time, but from a pure skill perspective, it wasn't even one of the top three catches in the game.

I will give the Pats defense credit though. They made adjustments and stepped up when they needed to with an occasional assist from ATL stupidity. If I were voting, from a pure level of play standpoint, I would give the MVP to the Pats D.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nhunter344 wrote:
Dgconner154 wrote:
nhunter344 wrote:

Did they win the game? Yes? Did they come from a large deficit to do so? Yes. Not taking the win away from the Pats.

Its really just semantics, but epic comeback to me doesn't involve one team completely choking (I'm including player and coaches here) and handing the game to the other team. Epic to me means a team grinding its way back through extraordinary play and miraculously pulling off a win. Getting first downs and free yards from stupid penalties and dropped picks isn't exactly grinding it out. The Pats played decent football, decent enough to win, but there wasn't anything eye-popping about it. And Edelman's catch? Right place, right time (see Immaculate Reception). There shouldn't be a receiver in the NFL who should drop a ball that is dropped right into their hands like that. Exciting play no doubt, definitely a highlight that will last for a long time, but from a pure skill perspective, it wasn't even one of the top three catches in the game.

I will give the Pats defense credit though. They made adjustments and stepped up when they needed to with an occasional assist from ATL stupidity. If I were voting, from a pure level of play standpoint, I would give the MVP to the Pats D.

You're right, it's semantics and we're clearly biased in opposite directions. I do agree that the Falcons made plenty of mistakes, but free yards and first downs from penalties and dropped picks are a part of every single NFL game. The Pats made plenty of mistakes too, the biggest difference is they know how to get their shit together when it really matters. If the Pats had continued to play the whole game like they did in the first half - making mistakes, getting penalties, and giving away yards and first downs - the narrative would be all about how the underdog Falcons knocked off the big bad Patriots, not how the Pats completely choked.

Other than the fact that both balls were tipped, there are zero similarities between Edelman's catch and the immaculate reception. Watch the replay again.
Quote Reply
Re: Be Honest... How many of us wrote the Patriots off? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys are just pissed you didn't think about doing this:

https://www.thestar.com/...owl-twitter-bet.html

Quote Reply
Re: Be Honest... How many of us wrote the Patriots off? [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I doubt we'll change each other's minds but no big deal. Besides, I don't think I'm able to conduct a unbiased discussion on the topic since I'm still bitter about the Pats pimp slapping my Steelers, taking our lunch money and calling our mommas fat during the AFC championship.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nhunter344 wrote:
I doubt we'll change each other's minds but no big deal. Besides, I don't think I'm able to conduct a unbiased discussion on the topic since I'm still bitter about the Pats pimp slapping my Steelers, taking our lunch money and calling our mommas fat during the AFC championship.

I will admit that Julio Jones's sideline catch was one of the best I've ever seen. Easily the catch of the game from a pure athleticism standpoint.
Quote Reply

Prev Next