Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How to Make F'N Pizza... [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good pizza is so easy to make at home. I use a variation on the pizza dough recipe from Franny's restaurant in NYC. Basically, I mix the dough in in my Kitchenaid Friday night. It goes straight in the fridge until Sunday at noon, when it comes out, gets divided into 3 or 4 balls, and then back in the fridge. The two day fridge rise gives the crust awesome flavor and texture.

90 minutes before I'm ready to cook my first pizza, I put my pizza stones in my double wall ovens and crank them to 550. The stones heat at that for about an hour.

30 minutes before I'm ready to stretch the dough, the balls come out of the fridge.

I hand stretch the balls....you can have a fairly wet dough and still be able to hand stretch it if you chill it first. Once stretched, they go into the oven and get cooked a bit. Once the dough has cooked so that you can pull out it with a cookie sheet, it comes out, has the sauce, toppings, and cheese added. Then it goes back in to finish cooking. Par cooking the crust ensures against a soggy crust and gets it done all the way through, and the cheese is perfect without browning on top.

Favorite pizzas around here....Pizza Margherita with fresh mozzarella; bacon pizza; pepperoni pizza with Boar's Head pepperoni; pizza with no sauce, but with spinach, feta, red onion, and a drizzle of olive oil; cheese pizza made with butter kase (that is straight up awesome). Recently I made a pizza with a sauce of ranch dressing spiked with chipotle and ancho chile powder, roasted chicken, and shredded Mexican cheese blend.

I often add a layer of Parmesan cheese on to the toppings before I put the main cheese on, which gives another flavor dimension.

For sauce, I keep it very simple...one can sauce mixed with one can paste, with a hit of garlic salt. That's it.

Can also do pizza on the grill. Key here is to bring the pizza out to the grill, oil one side, put the oiled side down, and then immediately oil the other side. Cook for a few minutes, flip, and then quickly add the toppings. Gotta keep these sparse as the dough will burn quickly on the grill.

Quote | Reply
How the hell do you add sauce after the cheese?

Dunno, we've never had a problem with soggy pizza when the sauce goes on first, but I do agree with you re: fruit on a pizza!
Quote Reply
Re: How to Make F'N Pizza... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar, but if I start a day ahead I do a scratch made sauce. Not that much work, mostly simmer time.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheese before sauce? Sounds like you're making fn cheese toast with some pizza toppings.

My pizza is never soggy. Are you using a pizza stone?
Quote Reply
Re: How to Make F'N Pizza... [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No stone here, ordered one today though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
I made calzones for the 2nd time yesterday, recipe claimed I had enough dough for 2, ended up with 7 and still thicker than I wanted. Never used a french rolling pin till yesterday, way better than a "normal" rolling pin.

Now I want to build a real oven, maybe this one...

Pretty impressive, must weigh a fukton. I've wanted to get a Bubba Keg just for pizza and tandorii chicken.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Make F'N Pizza... [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lucky for me I have MIG welding skillz (ie no skillz, just a wire feed welder LOL) and I own a cement mixer and a 48" beach ball I bought @ Canadian Tire.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Make F'N Pizza... [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
Pick up phone.
Order the best pizza in town (hint. They probably don't deliver)
Go get it.
Eat

Sorry to hear about your lack of true life skills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Lucky for me I have MIG welding skillz (ie no skillz, just a wire feed welder LOL) and I own a cement mixer and a 48" beach ball I bought @ Canadian Tire.

You could also do this

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/...news/234076563-story
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:

Pfft, I have both a little MIG machine for sheetmetal and a farmer style 220v Lincoln buzzbox for creating true atrocities. I've been trying to convince the wife of my need of a AC TIG machine, but no luck yet.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Make F'N Pizza... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I often add a layer of Parmesan cheese on to the toppings before I put the main cheese on, which gives another flavor dimension.

^This

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks awesome. It's my dream to build one of those things. Hopefully soon enough that my old Italian dad and I can cook some pizza or bread up in it.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
racin_rusty wrote:

Pfft, I have both a little MIG machine for sheetmetal and a farmer style 220v Lincoln buzzbox for creating true atrocities. I've been trying to convince the wife of my need of a AC TIG machine, but no luck yet.

What you really need is a plasma cutter! Adding a spool gun to your MIG would be more beneficial unless you plan on doing a lot of stainless steel welding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sell that buzz box & Mig! Get this, optionally comes with a TIG kit. Oh yeah and don't forget the plasma cutter!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually have *two* Buzzboxes... One is under 10 years old. One I'm pretty sure both my Dad and I learnt to weld with.

I don't do a whole lot of welding so the big ol buzzbox and little MIG seem to be fine... until then I can dream about a big multiprocess machine.

A plasma cutter would be nice, maybe if they were $500 and not $2000. A few weeks ago someone posted a combo mill/lathe for sale a few hours away for $950, still kicking myself about not making the time to go get it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
none of the places in this town deliver

Move you live in a shitty town or the 3rd world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
agree on homemade dough, or at least buy the fresh stuff from Trader Joe's. After that, there is an alternate path:

Turn on grill, get it above 400 degrees
Throw down some flour, roll out dough, spray one side with canola oil (i.e. Pam), crack fresh salt and pepper on that side, flip and repeat
Put it straight on the rack, no pizza stone, those are for wimps
Pull off after two minutes, flip onto tray, add toppings (see below)
Slide it onto grill for about two minutes, then remove, slice, eat, orgasm, repeat

Topping options:
- Homemade pesto as the sauce, combo of fresh grated mozzarella (not that pre-shredded crap) and monterrey jack
- Fig jam, combo of fresh grated mozzarella and monterrey jack, prosciutto, top with heaping of fresh arugla after removing from grill
- Balsamic glaze, monterrey jack, blue cheese, thinly sliced steak, fresh arugla

btw, the original idea came from Bobby Flay

Feel free to knock this, but only after you try it.

There are three kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Make F'N Pizza... [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
racin_rusty wrote:

You could also do this

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/...news/234076563-story

Not sure I can find enough wood here on the prairies to keep that running. Great idea for big pizza's though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Made a truly excellent pie for dinner - homemade dough, pesto base, mushroom, kalamata olive, feta, arugula on top after coming out of the oven. And no sogginess. A dough with a pleasant chew.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Make F'N Pizza... [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well done!

Quote | Reply
Making calzones & minestrone tonight. Wifey is hinting it's time to do our favorite - butter chicken.
Last edited by: racin_rusty: Feb 19, 17 4:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have a receipt ?
Quote Reply
Re: How to Make F'N Pizza... [andreasjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andreasjs wrote:
You have a receipt ?

Freudian slip?
Quote Reply