Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Going to the Opera
Quote | Reply
Just splashed out a small fortune on 4 tickets. Taking the wife and the offspring (13 & 9) to see Mozart's Magic Flute. Looking forward to it.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Going to the Opera [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a magic flute for ya!

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Going to the Opera [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good try, but a piccolo is not a flute.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pan flute, mutha f@cka!!!

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Going to the Opera [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Pan flute, mutha f@cka!!!

Henceforth, in my mind's eye, I will picture you like this:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enjoy. It's a good one, as are all the Mozart operas. Wife has had us get season tickets to the opera (fortunately being in Houston, it's a top 5 company nationally) for several years now. Not cheap seats, but worth it given the talent that comes through.

Hopefully the kids enjoy it. There are a few operas out there that kids would enjoy (The Little Prince was amazing, both musically and visually). Of course, we had season tickets to the ballet last year, and those performances were packed with mothers with the under 12 daughters in tow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Opera is (sadly) underappreciated these days. You'll enjoy the Magic Flute. Among others, make it a point to attend the following when you get a chance.

La Boheme - Make sure to take your wife. She'll thank you.

Pagliacci - Short and sweet (and think Taco Bell triple steak burrito).

Carmen - One hit song after another (and if you remember the Gilligan's Island production of it, that's a bonus)!

Too many more to mention. Enjoy yourself.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a former Lyric Opera of Chicago subscriber (and someone who goes once or thrice a year now) may I suggest cocktails before the show, prepay for doubles at both intermission, be prepared to nap since it is warm, dark, and good music. It's a really good time. Also don't dress like a peasant, minimum sport coat and slacks for gentlemen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have fun! That is a good one and everyone should enjoy it. Agree about prepaying for drinks at the intermission. For years I used to go to the San Francisco Opera regularly. Luckily most of the time for free since the partner I worked for was on the board.

Also good:
Idomeneo
Don Giovanni
The Barber of Seville
Le Nozze du Figero
La Traviata

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Going to the Opera [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply