Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: No ban for Afghanistan, Pakistan, or Saudi Arabia? [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Probably does. The Obama stuff was already in place, Trump was able to use it for quick action. Certainly some valid questions about why those countries and not others, but those same questions would have gone to the previous admin, so we have their answers...right? (I'm thinking that well before the election, Obama was in talks with Trump and made sure to protect Trump's investments, just in case...yeah, yeah, that's it. )

Why are these countries not on the list?
Because someone didn't put them on the list.

Gee, thanks for answering my question. I knew I could count on you for something.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: No ban for Afghanistan, Pakistan, or Saudi Arabia? [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saudi Arabia doesn't pass the cash down, dude. Here's a pic of the 80 falcons the Saudi prince bought tickets for on his plane ride. Check in to reality. If you and your entire village were dirt poor, while people were pulling cash right out from under your feet, you'd be pissed too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/5qzkz4/my_captain_friend_sent_me_this_photo_saudi_prince/

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Jan 30, 17 5:10
Quote Reply
Re: No ban for Afghanistan, Pakistan, or Saudi Arabia? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Saudi Arabia doesn't pass the cash down, dude. Here's a pic of the 80 falcons the Saudi prince bought tickets for on his plane ride. Check in to reality. If you and your entire village were dirt poor, while people were pulling cash right out from under your feet, you'd be pissed too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/5qzkz4/my_captain_friend_sent_me_this_photo_saudi_prince/

Just because the royal family spends a lot of the oil cash doesn't mean that they also don't spend a lot on Saudi citizens. I'll ask again...have you ever actually been to Saudi Arabia? Have you done any reading on the country and it's finances other than make assumptions based on photos? I'mm gonna give you a hint...it's not me that needs to check in with reality here.

ETA: I should note that there are poor people in Saudi Arabia; but they are a minority. There is quite a bit of wealth that passes down from the royal family. A World Bank Report said that Saudi Arabia had the 10th lowest poverty rate in the world: http://english.alarabiya.net/...says-World-Bank.html

Others put the rate higher than that, at perhaps as high as 25%. But the government does spend quite a bit on their citizens: "The Saudi government spends several billion dollars each year to provide free education and health care to all citizens, as well as a variety of social welfare programmes – even free burials. The government also provides pensions, monthly benefits and payments for food and utility bills to the poor, elderly, disabled, orphans and workers who are injured on the job."

This doesn't mean that there aren't people who are pissed at the royals for spending as much as they do on themselves...there are. But I've never heard anyone link that to terrorism. Certainly, OBL wasn't poor, nor were any of the 9-11 hijackers.

Last edited by: spot: Jan 30, 17 6:49
Quote Reply
Re: No ban for Afghanistan, Pakistan, or Saudi Arabia? [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The individual terrorists themselves aren't poor. That would make them to uneducated to be effective. What is happening is angry educated men (takes money) that can engineer effective attacks. So saying the individuals that attacked weren't poor is irrelevant. Nobody is afraid of a shoeless bum with a slingshot that can't do basic math. But what makes great terrorists is smart people pissed off about their surroundings. They feel helpless, like they are being taken advantage of, so they lash out. You can't ask for a better situation than the oil producing countries, and that's why they came from there. Did they come from there? Yes. Because things are great? No.

Case in point -
a 2011 study using microlevel data on the Palestinian economy found “evidence of the correlation between economic conditions, the characteristics of suicide terrorists, and the targets they attack. High levels of unemployment enable terror organizations to recruit better educated, more mature, and more experienced suicide terrorists, who in turn attack more important Israeli targets.” A recent country-level analysis by three German economists found evidence that “education may fuel terrorist activity in the presence of poor political and socio-economic conditions, whereas better education in combination with favorable conditions decreases terrorism.” (Israel situation is slightly different in that they are fighting over land, not oil)

Recipe for a terrorist - Engineering degree, no good jobs because royalty is hoarding the cash, local leaders pointing out how the West is profiting from all your oil. That guy is angry and can make bombs.

A person that's always been poor doesn't go shoot up an office building. But a person that had a job there (potential wealth) and then was fired does. He's angry at the loss and feels betrayed, and that leads to violence. Just like a guy that sees his potential wealth being shipped out to fuel all our cars. The royals are too dangerous to attack, so we're the best target.

So again.. and again... it's the lack of a middle class because of the wealth-hoarding of the elite that is the root of the problem. The cure is a 1-2 punch of working towards renewable energy and mandating that we don't buy oil unless that country passes down the wealth to more people. The people that normally become terrorists would rejoice and leave us the F alone.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: No ban for Afghanistan, Pakistan, or Saudi Arabia? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, the notion that there is no middle class in Saudi Arabia is simply wrong. Don't know about the other oil producing countries, but Saudi Arabia has a pretty healthy middle class. Why you keep insisting that there isn't is beyond me. Do they have a problem with unemployment? Yes, they do, but I'd love for you to show me a reference that links Saudi unemployment with terrorism.

Second, there are plenty of studies that have looked into the link between poverty and terrorism. Here's a quote from one: "Any connection between poverty, education and terrorism is indirect, complicated and probably quite weak. Instead of viewing terrorism as a direct response to low market opportunities or ignorance, we suggest it is more accurately viewed as a response to political conditions and long-standing feelings of indignity and frustration that have little to do with economics."

http://www.rochester.edu/...ke/214/Krueger03.pdf

Third, the rationale for the founding of AQ has zero to do with economics and everything to do with religion. The entire reason for the attack on 9-11 was about defeating the far enemy (the US) so that AQ could turn on the near enemy (the "apostate" Saudi regime) and return Saudi Arabia, and eventually the entire region to an area ruled by a Caliphate and under strict Sharia law. That is also the entire reason that the ISIS leader declared himself a Caliph.

Quote | Reply
[quote How many of the 9/11 hijackers came from Saudi Arabia? A country that is not on the banned list...

I'll save you the trouble. 15 of the 19 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia.[/quote]

Of the twelve lethal terrorists in the United States since 9/11: three are African-Americans, three are from families that hailed originally from Pakistan, two came from Russia as children, one was US-born and descended from family that emigrated from the Palestinian Territories, one emigrated from Egypt and carried out an attack a decade after arriving, one each had families that originally came from Kuwait and Afghanistan

None of these countries are on the travel ban list.
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Jan 31, 17 6:28
Quote Reply

Prev Next