Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pet Insurance
Quote | Reply
Our vet keeps trying to talk us into it for our healthy, 46 pound 16 week old working class German Shepherd... Thoughts/opinions/etc? The brand they push is $45CAD/month with a $700 deductible... $45*12*10 seems like a reasonable cost but we've never spent that on our previous dogs in vet bills but I'm no finance guy.

Quote Reply
Re: Pet Insurance [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done the math multiple times and it never works out. We have 3 dogs. One has diabetes and a thyroid issue, so, he needs insulin and thyroid meds. Still did not make financial sense.

Here is the one exception -- major medical incident. We went on vacation and the boarding place screwed up our dog's insulin. He went into seizures and had to be taken to the doggie ER, where he had to stay for 5 days. That was $1400. Would have been nice to have insurance for that one incident. But, that was one incident in 12 years.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a greyhounds that got lymphoma. I went the chemo route and it allowed him another couple of years with a high quality of life. Between diagnostics, chemo, and an unrelated tail injury that needed surgery, I spent probably 10,000 in vet bills over a 2 or so year period. Dogs can be expensive. It might come down to whether or not there is a max annual or lifetime payout by the insurance company. I'd check the details.

BTW great looking dog!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think pet insurance makes financial sense. With the numbers you provided, you'd have to have $1240 of vet bills in a year before you came out ahead. Just my opinion, but I think if you can afford a pet, you can afford its vet care.

Thinking back to a dog I had that had lots of vet bills, I think there was only one year where we might've come out ahead with insurance. And with all our other pets I think we would've lost every year.

He's a fine lookin' pup! Keep posting pics; I'm sure I'm not the only one enjoying watching him grow up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I failed to mention that he is one outstanding looking pup!

But, pet insurance still does not make financial sense. It only works out if you have a catastrophic incident, which is rare and unpredictable.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
Our vet keeps trying to talk us into it for our healthy, 46 pound 16 week old working class German Shepherd... Thoughts/opinions/etc? The brand they push is $45CAD/month with a $700 deductible... $45*12*10 seems like a reasonable cost but we've never spent that on our previous dogs in vet bills but I'm no finance guy.

We had some free pet insurance after we adopted some cats. We attempted to put in a claim when one of the cats got really sick about a month in, however, because the vet couldn't give the insurance company a precise cause of the illness, they wouldn't pay out.
Insurance companies down't get rich by writing cheques.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you are suspecting of your hound to be a puppy farm dog, it is just a rip off merchant scheme.

Save your dough comrade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a 12 year old dog that is currently on some fairly expensive medication and has given us a few expensive bills over the years, including a $2000 one (that ultimately led to those expensive meds).

$45 x 12 x 12 = $6480 and with the $700 deductible I still don't think I'd be ahead. The exception would have been that $2000 one but over the course of her life I think it would be a net loss.
Quote Reply
Re: Pet Insurance [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
get a quote from Petplan http://www.gopetplan.com

TEAM ZOOT 2020
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which one are you considering? We are looking in to trupanion. Pretty much having the same debate as you right now.

Keep in mind, most of your vet visits will be under 700, so you're only really going to be using it for high cost, catastrophic situations, if they occur.

Btw, Mike is now the same size as Lola. I'll post some recent pictures when I get home.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Pet Insurance [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have it for my lab. After $2500 in vet bills in a year I decided it was worth it. It paid off last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love German Shepherds, great looking pup!

We adopted 2 shelter cats about 2 years ago. One got sick in the first 4 months which costed us about $1000. After that we got pet insurance (PetPlan) which paid off a year later when the other got sick (the vet thinks they both have a mutated corona virus that didn't turn into full FIP). It would have been $5000 out of pocket for the second one, or in our case, probably putting her down. Our reasoning for the insurance is that we could handle a $1000 expense a couple times per year, but not more than that and not $3000+, so pet insurance made sense given that they were found on the street and might have more issues down the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have it for both my labs. I use petplan. I did not have it for my first lab. At seven she tore her cranial cruciate ligament – total cost just under three grand. When I got my second and third labs I made the decision to purchase it for both of them. It paid off in spades about 18 months ago when my just under four-year-old lab developed epilepsy. Testing was over $3500 to diagnose it has idiopathic. Knock on wood it seems to be pretty well-controlled with Keppra and phenobarbital twice a day – but that gets quite pricey. The way I look at it is if you can afford it and your pets are part of your family but it's not an unrealistic expense each month. Of course I am an n=1
Quote Reply
Re: Pet Insurance [reutebh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our vet and vet friends recommend it for lab puppies due to their desire to make bad choices when eating stuff. We have seen a few legos make it through ours already...

We dropped it on our other dog around two since she didn't eat stupid things. This new dog puts everything in her mouth.
Quote Reply
Re: Pet Insurance [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of the last four posts three of them are lab owners who got pet insurance. Maybe its goot to get it if you own a lab. Not sure why labs are so expensive.

Moonrocket wrote:
Our vet and vet friends recommend it for lab puppies due to their desire to make bad choices when eating stuff. We have seen a few legos make it through ours already...

We dropped it on our other dog around two since she didn't eat stupid things. This new dog puts everything in her mouth.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Pet Insurance [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Which one are you considering? We are looking in to trupanion. Pretty much having the same debate as you right now.

Keep in mind, most of your vet visits will be under 700, so you're only really going to be using it for high cost, catastrophic situations, if they occur.

Btw, Mike is now the same size as Lola. I'll post some recent pictures when I get home.

Also looking at Trupanion. Considering Mike's breed, size and temperament, we're mainly concerned about catastrophic musculoskeletal stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am probably one of the few that came out ahead on insurance. I had an English bull terrier that ate ANYTHING. Boxes of nails, light bulbs etc. Between surgery costs and covered vaccinations I came or ahead.
I have a Scottie now. Other than amputating a toe for cancer, she has been extremely healthy and insurance would have been a financial loss.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. Lola had a couple scares playing around already. We are considering trupanion at least until she is out of her puppy stage.

Here she is now:

Can you tell that I love this dog?

Quote Reply
Re: Pet Insurance [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very cute pup. Reminds me of my old Clyde man... Light colouring, tall/skinny, and a lazy ear. Cried like a baby when we put him down a year ago.

We do need to have a puppy date one of these days... Mike doesn't get alot of puppy time, just adult dog... big n small... played with our neighbors' 130lb great pyrs last week, that was fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember seeing pictures of Clyde on your FB... good looking dog (not like I'm biased).

We should definitely get the pups together one day, before Mike really outgrows Lola. Not sure when as our weekends are pretty packed, but one day I'll take her out your way, or maybe meet half way around Thetis lake or something?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just thought I would bump this thread.

After deciding that maybe pet insurance wasn't for us, we are staring down a $6500 bill. A few days ago, Lola's appetite seemed to waver a bit. She was otherwise fine, so we decided to just keep an eye on her. Last night, she stopped eating entirely, became extremely lethargic, started vomiting, etc. Vet told us to go right to the hospital. Overnight stay, blood work, two rounds of ultrasounds and x-rays determined there was a potential blockage in her gut, and acute pancreatitis, and is looking like the blockage will need to be surgically removed.

FML.

Obligatory puppy picture:

Quote Reply