Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

School me on cattle breeds for consumption
Quote | Reply
I was shopping this AM and saw some good looking steaks. They were Piedmontese, something I had not seen advertise before. I had a conversation with my butcher and he started to school me on different cattle breeds. It was like coming out of the dark ages. I got home and started looking more carefully into cattle breeds:

"The limitations in USDA grading systems means Piedmont beef is frequently select or lower grade. While you might think this would mean sacrificing tenderness, a University of Georgia study showed no significant difference in shear force values between normal muscle and double-muscle beef. However, because delivering a double-muscled calf often proves difficult for Piedmontese dames due to narrow birth canals relative to calf size, homozygous (“pure-bred) Piedmontese bulls are cross-bred with Angus cows. This gives the added benefit of higher grades. To preserve leanness, a Piedmontese bull may be bred with a Continental variety. Heritage Farms makes Piedmontese beef available in the U.S."

So now I've gone from completely ignorant to semi-ignorant. What do you chefs look for when you buy meat for the grill? Are you buying by the breed and if so how different is the taste from one breed to another? Or does it make a difference to the average Joe? Given the fact that I have a choice, I'd like to understand how different the meats are and if you would cook one breed differently than another.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: School me on cattle breeds for consumption [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just go to a good butcher that I trust. I tell him what I want to make, and he suggests the cut. And if he doesn't have it, he'll order the cut.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go to Costco and buy a pack of ribeyes.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on cattle breeds for consumption [gotsand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gotsand wrote:
Here ya go:
http://heritagefoodsusa.com/...ge-beef-taste-chart/

and a paper from someone at Colorado State:
http://www.cabpartners.com/...g_flavorful_beef.pdf

That's gold. Great info. Thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easy matrix for those who blindly believe USDA propaganda...

Is the beef Canadian?

Yes - buy it, it's the shit...

No - are you kidding me? At best it might be okay in a hamburger for dogs....
Quote Reply
Re: School me on cattle breeds for consumption [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah... Lets not overcomplicate things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My daughter shows prize Simmental heifers at local country fairs. They are good natured, pretty and delicious.
But Herefords and Angus are good eatin' too.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: School me on cattle breeds for consumption [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
My daughter shows prize Simmental heifers at local country fairs. They are good natured, pretty and delicious.

But Herefords and Angus are good eatin' too.

I have never heard of Simmental which shows my admitted ignorance, so I looked them up. Really cool history:

"Simmental is a breed of cattle whose history dates back to the Middle Ages. Early records indicate that Simmental cattle were the result of a cross between large German cattle and a smaller breed indigenous to Switzerland. "

Very cool that your daughter shows them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you find that breed has next to nothing to do with it and I think one of the studies linked in this thread backs that up. How they are raised, what they are fed, how old they are etc etc will always over ride breed. I'd take a young, grass fed, finished off with some grain Holstein over an old feed lot, stressed out of any breed you want to put out there.

There's a reason that the beef at the grocery store tastes like ass...it's not because they are raising the wrong breed.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is also a good source. There are a few studies out there that tell you the differences between breeds when raised on the same feed.
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds//#content

When it's good, it's good. When it's bad, you suffer.
Dan
Quote Reply
Re: School me on cattle breeds for consumption [WryMouth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. It's very interesting reading. Kind of reminds me of this:

Quote Reply