Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Literally vs. Seriously [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What part of this needed to be decoded vs. what he actually said.

He said he would build a wall, he's building a wall. I don't think he ever moved off of that statement and I'm not sure why someone would believe he would.

He said he would stop immigration from Muslim countries that harbored terrorists until such a time as the government had a way to properly vet the people seeking to enter the country. What was heard by a lot of people and reported on was only the first 9 words of the sentence and then the wailing and gnashing teeth started.

Trump has dug himself into a few holes with some of the crap that he says off the top of his head, but on the things he campaigned on for 18 months I think you can take them seriously and literally.
Quote Reply
Re: Literally vs. Seriously [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:
j p o wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:
j p o wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:
I am really surprised this is so difficult for you guys.

So help a guy out? The wall, Muslim ban, EPA gutting, ... all seem to be in the works in one form or another. What is the non-literal rhetoric.

It's exactly the same words as: "we'll be out of all wars", "if you like your doctor", "there will be no red or blue states"

Why is that so difficult to understand?

That I get, but I also think Obama meant the first two things literally and Republicans certainly took them literally. And maybe some who said literally vs. seriously were meaning different things.

But let's take the wall. I was told that we should take the wall seriously but not literally. That after you run it through the decoder what he means is that border security will be tighter and we'll get a handle on illegal immigration. Except now he is signing an EO to get to work on an actual physical wall, just like he literally said.

There have been leaks of an EO on immigration from predominately Muslim countries, while not a total ban on all Muslims, all the countries targeted are Muslim.

It seems to me that people who thought he was engaging in hyperbole were themselves engaging in wishful thinking.

Man, are you in the weeds and I'm a guy of few words.... I should back away and let vitus take over.

What difference does it make if there is a walled structure on the border? If illegal entry into the country is being controlled then who cares if there is a structured wall? It's the image that something is being done about illegal entry. GITMO had become infamous because of the photos of prisoners being harassed. So closing GITMO was also projecting an image that the US doesn't treat it's war prisoners that way.

Turn on CNBC tomorrow morning (Squawk Box) and watch how very successful business people talk about these issues. No one is getting hysterical. No one is talking doom. Then flip over to The View and watch how Hollywood celebrities are planning to burn down the White House.

Decide which people are sane and insane.

$$$$$

I'm not against controlling the border, but a big beautiful 1954 mile long wall along with infrastructure and maintenance does not come cheap. And I don't think Mexico plans to "pay for his fucking wall".

So cost is an issue, now?

Which is more important. Keeping illegals from entry or paying for health care, food, and shelter for illegals who have entered and are entering? And you know, some of them are rapists and killers.
Quote Reply
Re: Literally vs. Seriously [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now, what if he literally builds a wall but doesn't get serious about actually securing the border?

Sounds like he's building a wall and getting serious about securing the border:

http://fox13now.com/...ll-sanctuary-cities/

Trump signed what the White House described as executive orders that begin moving towards building a wall on the US-Mexico border, boosting border patrol forces and ordering an increase in deportations of undocumented immigrants.
<>
The executive orders also seek to end sanctuary cities and the practice of releasing undocumented immigrants detained by federal officials before trial. White House press secretary Sean Spicer said the executive action directed at sanctuary cities would strip grant funding for cities that “harbor illegal immigrants.”
<>

Trump confirmed his plans to build the wall with federal funds and then seek reimbursement from Mexico, an idea Mexico has resisted. But negotiations, he said, would begin “relatively soon.”

“I’m telling you there will be a payment. It will be in a form, perhaps a complicated form,” Trump said.
<>
There remained little question, for example, about whether Trump would push to increase deportations of undocumented immigrants. One of Trump’s executive actions was expected to call for tripling “enforcement and removal operations/agents” of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency, which is charged with arresting and deporting undocumented immigrants living in the US. And his executive action also called for a 5,000-person increase in Customs and Border Protection personnel, a source familiar with the plans told CNN on Tuesday.

Notably absent is anything about enforcing laws against hiring illegal immigrants. But I don't remember him campaigning on that, so . . .

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Literally vs. Seriously [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Notably absent is anything about enforcing laws against hiring illegal immigrants. But I don't remember him campaigning on that, so . . .

As much as I think Trump is doing the politically smart thing by taking actions on his campaign promises, I hope he follows through on the real issues. If he focuses on actually stopping illegal immigrants from entering (by enforcing laws against hiring illegal immigrants) then I will say his actions are substance over form. It will take at least a few years to determine if his policies are more than just a show for his supporters but at least he is headed in the right direction.

Quote Reply
Re: Literally vs. Seriously [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
Beans or no beans?

Beans (in both). Low sodium dark red kidney and LS pinto in the chili. Delish!
Quote Reply

Prev Next