Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trump - First President with Early Stage Dementia?
Quote | Reply
It's a serious question, he's so erratic - kind of reminds me of someone close to me during the early stages of dementia. Erratic, temperamental, moments of ultimate stupidity and brilliance (which are in turn undermined by his stupidity), insistence that falsehoods are true.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - First President with Early Stage Dementia? [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or any senior manager I've ever known

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - First President with Early Stage Dementia? [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Senior as in over paid supervisor not some random old person that happens to be a boss?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - First President with Early Stage Dementia? [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not possible.

Trump is the healthiest president ever. He told us so. It must be true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Senior as in upper management not age.

Random acts of management indeed

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's long been speculation that Reagan was showing signs of dementia while in office.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/...s-of-alzheimers.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go with Reagan, but I have bought into the Duffy theory that the outlandish claims and falsehoods are smoke screens. Like the latest on the millions of fraudulent votes costing him the popular vote. That was the number one article on CNN today instead of all the other stuff that actually mattered.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - First President with Early Stage Dementia? [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
There's long been speculation that Reagan was showing signs of dementia while in office.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/...s-of-alzheimers.html

That's what I thought. Seems like I've read that Reagan was getting pretty out of it by the end of his tenure.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - First President with Early Stage Dementia? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
I would go with Reagan, but I have bought into the Duffy theory that the outlandish claims and falsehoods are smoke screens. Like the latest on the millions of fraudulent votes costing him the popular vote. That was the number one article on CNN today instead of all the other stuff that actually mattered.
PSSSSST !! dont let the cat out of the bag, lets see how long it takes for press to figure that out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Jefferson was known to have "bouts of melancholy", so I suppose there's a chance one of the early presidents had (or eventually developed) dementia, but we just didn't have a name for it yet.

I read on the Internet that George Washington (the original G-Dubya) was known for some pretty erratic tweets and embarrassing selfies. But, as Teddy Roosevelt once said, "don't believe everything you read on the Internet."

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - First President with Early Stage Dementia? [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
Thomas Jefferson was known to have "bouts of melancholy", so I suppose there's a chance one of the early presidents had (or eventually developed) dementia, but we just didn't have a name for it yet.

I read on the Internet that George Washington (the original G-Dubya) was known for some pretty erratic tweets and embarrassing selfies. But, as Teddy Roosevelt once said, "don't believe everything you read on the Internet."

Good one. But I believe it was Lincoln who said that.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - First President with Early Stage Dementia? [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chri55 wrote:
Travis R wrote:

Good one. But I believe it was Lincoln who said that.

Quote Reply
Re: Trump - First President with Early Stage Dementia? [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:

I think melancholy would be depression not dementia?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - First President with Early Stage Dementia? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Travis R wrote:

Trump is not suffering Dementia. And I wish it was depression. He most likely has some type of 'Narcissistic and/or Egocentric Disorder'. Its not a good problem to have when leading a major nation as it makes you susceptible to manipulation.

BTW - Winston Churchill battled depression and he did pretty well as a world leader.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - First President with Early Stage Dementia? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Travis R wrote:

Trump is not suffering Dementia. And I wish it was depression. He most likely has some type of 'Narcissistic and/or Egocentric Disorder'. Its not a good problem to have when leading a major nation as it makes you susceptible to manipulation.

BTW - Winston Churchill battled depression and he did pretty well as a world leader.

You wish he had depression? How impressive.

By the way, every President we have had was a narcissist and many, if not all were incredibly egocentric. Obama would top the list of narcissists in my lifetime with Nixon coming in a close 2nd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The difference is this has been Trump's MO since day 1, and he was fairly unhinged even going back to the 80's and 90's. He just functions in a different way than anyone else. I do think a lot of is intentional to take the focus off more important things but I think it's just the way Trump operates.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - First President with Early Stage Dementia? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Travis R wrote:

Yes, I believe that melancholy was kind of a loose term for what has eventually been termed depression and the various flavors of that. I was trying to point out that we have refined our definitions of various psychological states over time, so a past president could have easily been overlooked because they were "diagnosed" in much more general terms. "Bouts of melancholy" could just as easily have been replaced with "bouts of madness" or some other similar now-obsolete term to describe someone that could be diagnosed as having dementia, Alzheimer's, Post-Concussion Syndrome, etc. by today's definitions.

I'm not aware of any past presidents that were described as having "bouts of madness", but had heard of Jefferson having bouts of melancholy before, so maybe that was a poor example, on my part. Sorry if that confused the issue. I think I knew what I meant! :)

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see what you were saying now. Makes sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - First President with Early Stage Dementia? [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
You wish he had depression? How impressive.
By the way, every President we have had was a narcissist and many, if not all were incredibly egocentric. Obama would top the list of narcissists in my lifetime with Nixon coming in a close 2nd.

I said I wish it was depression and not whatever dangerously pathological syndrome he is dealing with. Depression in a President is a personal tragedy, Pathological Ego-centrism will lead to a national tragedy.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
Thomas Jefferson was known to have "bouts of melancholy" ...

... And Trump has bouts with Melania

What's your point?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply