Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is it time to end the Presidential Pardon? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
j p o wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:
I honestly have never understood the purpose of Presidential pardons, I just don't understand what the appeal is to something that allows the President to circumvent the will and ruling of constituents and justices and every Presidential cycle there's another wave of questionable pardons. Why have them at all?

Agree. Would love to understand the history of this and why it is appropriate.

All the way back to Babylon, Greece, and Rome. One of the prerogatives of kings.

I think I was on a conference call today with your brother!

If it was John yes, if it was Todd no. Or really anyone not named John.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it time to end the Presidential Pardon? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

Got it - it was Todd. Any relation?
Quote Reply
Re: Is it time to end the Presidential Pardon? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
j p o wrote:

Got it - it was Todd. Any relation?

Second cousin or so I think. My dad's parents had 63 grandchildren so too many cousins to keep track of. Yes they were Catholic.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it time to end the Presidential Pardon? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Is it time to end the Presidential Pardon

I don't wish to Pardon the President
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Now that Trump is on the whitehouse we're going to see an onslaught of calls for the reduction of presidential power.

This is a good thing.

+1

Bullshit. You'll hear calls from the left, and they will fall on deaf ears, and when the left returns to power, the loud boom you hear will be the sound of their collective amnesia returning at the speed of sound.

Bingo. No way will congress try to change the rules to reign in Trump. That would involve them giving up some power. Ha.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
It goes back to our infancy. Remember, the first POTUS won with a unanimous vote and had to decline the offered role of king. They had absolute faith in his character and judgment and there were no partisan disagreements over either of those issues. Those days are long gone. Maybe the power to commute and pardon have outlasted their useful context.

I think Executive pardon is a good thing that should be kept. Unfortunately, it can be abused, but like many things in the Justice system, the principle of saving one innocent even if it means letting several guilty go free applies. Pardons (from the President and Governors) allow the Executive to right injustices, and show mercy on behalf of the government when appropriate. It rightfully doesn't belong in the Judiciary (since they are the source of the conviction in the first place), and it would be an even bigger mess if it belonged to the Legislature. So having it rest with the Chief Executive makes sense to me.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think of the turkeys!

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well that didn't quite work out as expected...

Quote:
Damarlon Thomas had spent years looking for freedom — ever since he was sentenced to two decades in prison for selling half an ounce of crack cocaine.

He’d nearly reached it, with a president’s help. One of 1,715 federal inmates whose sentences were commuted by former president Barack Obama before he left office, Thomas was living in a halfway house in Saginaw, Mich., awaiting his early release on March 22.
Then on Monday night, police said, two masked men came looking for him.
They stormed in carrying high-powered rifles, Michigan State Police Lt. David Kaiser told the Saginaw News.
One intruder rounded up the nearly two dozen residents, he said, while the other searched the house for Thomas, “located the victim and executed him.”

Regardless of whether or not the guy deserved a 19-year sentence, it's a sad ending to his story. Full story here.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Presidential pardons are simply bullshit. That authority should be wrested from the president.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it time to end the Presidential Pardon? [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know. Stuff like that doesn't happen to good people. Either he went to prison for one of his more petty crimes or was a really bad guy in prison. No loss in my view.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply

Prev Next