Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "Alternative facts" - our new normal from the government [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watching the first official briefing now. It's remarkably normal, and dare I say informative. No questions about the crowd size, yet.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: "Alternative facts" - our new normal from the government [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Watching the first official briefing now. It's remarkably normal, and dare I say informative. No questions about the crowd size, yet.
No kidding. A total bust in terms of LR material so far.
Quote Reply
Re: "Alternative facts" - our new normal from the government [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here it is...

Quick pivot to healthcare.

Quote Reply
Re: "Alternative facts" - our new normal from the government [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a difference from the last appearance. Started off with a self-deprecating joke, seems to have taken the edge off both sides.

Edit: he just admitted that his numbers were incomplete regarding metro, now defending the "total viewership" number, on which he's probably correct.

Last edited by: sphere: Jan 23, 17 11:11
Quote Reply
Re: "Alternative facts" - our new normal from the government [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
What a difference from the last appearance. Started off with a self-deprecating joke, seems to have taken the edge off both sides.
Quote:
I think we can sometimes disagree with the facts.

Uh, ok. We disagree with 1+1=2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
the foundation for how we communicate with our President and his Administration

There will be none

Quote:
"Chuck, if we're going to keep referring to our press secretary in those types of terms, I think we're going to have to rethink our relationship here," Kellyanne Conway said on NBC’s “Meet the Press” after host Chuck Todd asked about press secretary Sean Spicer’s criticism of the press one day earlier.

I read that as "Either The Press accepts whatever facts The White House puts out [alternative or otherwise], or they will not be allowed access"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I just came out to read a statement, and I did it."

Ha! You don't say. Translation: don't shoot the messenger.

Last edited by: sphere: Jan 23, 17 11:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
"I just came out to read a statement, and I did it."

Ha! You don't say. Translation: don't shoot the messenger.

regardless of the administration I always think this has to be the worst job. In this admin even more so.

I think we should have a pool for how long he lasts or how many will hold the post over 4 years etc etc.

you have to take this job as a stepping stone for the next (I would think). Brutal.
Quote Reply
Re: "Alternative facts" - our new normal from the government [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's doing a pretty damn good job so far, today.

I wonder if we'll be able to sniff out the bullshit by his demeanor. His crowd size appearance was completely different. Nervous, agitated, stammering, and he basically admitted that he wasn't comfortable with it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

I wonder if we'll be able to sniff out the bullshit by his demeanor. His crowd size appearance was completely different. Nervous, agitated, stammering, and he basically admitted that he wasn't comfortable with it.

thanks I will catch later, you and I both saw him live Saturday and I think we agree that wasn't pretty......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

Listened to the whole thing via radio. Although I'm eager to jump on anything Anti-Trump, this seemed pretty benign and not the type of exchange I was expected given the anti-media talk that has been going around. Although I'm a huge supporter of responsible media and think an open / free media is absolutely essential to our form of government, I do have to call out whoever the reporter was that asked the Press Secretary if they could expect honesty out of him. That was a tool move, in the extreme.
Quote Reply
Re: "Alternative facts" - our new normal from the government [MOP_Roy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He took that well, and in fairness, I think he had to take a few direct shots, given his last performance. There was no getting around it, and I don't know if there's a better way to put it to rest than to put it as bluntly as possible. He steered away at the appropriate interval. I think it went a long way to resetting the WH-WH Press Pool relationship. Somewhere between yesterday's hostility and Obama-era coziness would be ideal, and I think we might be headed there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:
What would the consequences be if the press just treated the story in a matter of fact way- Trump claimed the crowd was the biggest ever, the facts say otherwise. Then moved on to covering other news about the administration?

I think it's fairly obvious: that the administration would have no compelling motive to report on anything factually. This is a line-in-the-sand moment for the press, in their relationship with the incoming administration. They're either going to hold them accountable for their words, or they're going to roll over and type what they're told to. They can either function as a free and independent press, or they can function as a propaganda machine for a stunningly dishonest administration. Today is when they decide.

My wife and I both noticed, separately, in a change in the headlines of articles in the NYTimes that point out these lies. They use words like "wrong".

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

I think we'll be able to sniff out the bullshit by the content.

What we're going to get is non-answers to nearly everything. Why? Because Spicer won't know the answer, through absolutely no fault of his own. Nobody will know the answers, because nobody (possibly including Trump himself) knows what position Trump will take, or what his tweets really mean.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: "Alternative facts" - our new normal from the government [sslothrop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sslothrop wrote:
The scary part is that trump isn't lying. He believes his crowd was bigger and the media is trying to deceive us.

Quote Reply
Re: "Alternative facts" - our new normal from the government [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
In the first place, you can't trust the media. They're often just as dishonest as Trump.

In the second place, is your purpose in debunking his claims about the crowd size to persuade his "dimwitted base"? Serious question.

Because I'm still not seeing the point that you say has gone over my head. What I see is that getting sucked into this kind of petty bickering over something utterly inconsequential has turned people into mirror images of Trump himself. You're just as think skinned and as easily provoked as he is, and just as unable to let go of a minor issue. It's crazy. You're turning his pathological character defect into a political asset in the process, too.

Uh, no. Degree counts. Not saying the media doesn't get stuff wrong, or selectively skews/misrepresents info (as an aggregate; obviously not all media outlets are created equal), but Trump spews way more blatantly false crap on a regular basis in proportion to everything else he says. Dismissing them as equivalent is like equating a broken leg w/ lung cancer since they're both negative health conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: "Alternative facts" - our new normal from the government [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tell it to Nancy Sinatra.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: "Alternative facts" - our new normal from the government [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Quote:
Alternative facts sounds like something out of North Korea, China, or any Soviet-era eastern bloc country where the government strictly controls the message and there is no freedom of press.

There were lots of things wrong with our previous administrations, but buckle your seatbelt. We are about to endure a whole new level of constant lying, one that we've never before experienced.

Quote Reply

Prev Next