Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Inauguration open thread [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
Serious question: what about the Tangerine Tyrant makes you think he will "fix" the debt problem?

He wants lower taxes, increased military, a brand new wall, massive infrastructure spending. How does that add up to anything except more debt? There is no math that makes sense in that.
Serious answer: I didn't say I support Trump. :) I believe his populist message rang true to many people and that's why he was elected, but what they failed to do is listen to his solutions and decide if they actually make sense. I don't think they do, but we'll see.

That said, you're only listing part of the equation. He also wants to roll back globalization and create an economic climate that encourages businesses to move back to the US. Less spending on foreign/global causes, less support for other nations, a more US-centric approach to our budget. Does the calculus work if businesses do come back and we spend a lot less on international causes? What if the tax reform includes closing loopholes /eliminating some credits?

I don't know the answers to these questions, but that isn't what my post--that you replied to--was aimed at anyway. Trump's doom-and-gloom inauguration speech was aimed at the anger and fear of many in this country, and in many respects I agree with them.
Quote Reply
Re: Inauguration open thread [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply.

I can completely understand and appreciate that response. Things are more challenging and life for the average American has regressed in certain ways, on each side of the political aisle. I'm still a couple years away from 40 so it wasn't that long ago, but I was able to work nearly full time, take a little extra time in school, and finish university with little student loan debt (~$8k-ish, could have been less had someone taught me about sound money management before I finished school!). That wouldn't be possible today at the same university; inflation has destroyed that option.

Of course there's insane health care expenses, driven up for inflated administrative and care costs. We could list a thousand things.

Culturally I think we sometimes forget how sound we have it overall. Even our poor are wealthy on a global spectrum, with some truly experiencing poverty, but we have such an inflated sense of our "needs" that we overlook that. That said, it's also not acceptable that someone can be underemployed to the point that they're scraping to pay rent and then end up with collectors on their butt because they had an abscessed tooth and don't have adequate access to preventative health care.

Trump spoke that language on the campaign trail. I get it, even though I don't get what he's promising. I just wish that in there he'd do the Presidential thing now and remind the country of how great we have it in most ways, how great we have been, and what his plans are to again move us toward an America whose government fights for all of us & yet has an eye on our global partnerships. It's something I'd have hoped to see in anyone elected, but Trump unfortunately seems to have a special ability to stoke the fears of those who don't have answers but have frustration.
Quote Reply
Re: Inauguration open thread [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

http://www.cnn.com/...uguration-gigapixel/
How did Bush know to look at the camera? Zoom in and see. So much win!
Last edited by: johnnybefit: Jan 21, 17 14:29
Quote Reply

Prev Next