Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trump already cleaning out the illegals
Quote | Reply
Is this going to be like divorce/affairs/marijuana use/etc. that once we have a handful of people booted for it we no longer care?

WASHINGTON, D.C. ― President-elect Donald Trump’s pick for commerce secretary admitted at his Senate confirmation hearing Wednesday that he recently fired a household employee who could not provide proof that they could legally work in the country.

Having undocumented household help has sunk at least two previous cabinet secretary nominees.

Billionaire private equity executive Wilbur Ross told the Senate Commerce Committee that when he hired the worker in 2009, the person provided what looked like a valid driver’s license and Social Security card. After Ross was nominated by Trump, he asked all his household staff to provide such documentation again.

“When I was getting ready for this hearing I wanted to recheck all our present and former employees,” Ross said, adding that all but one of about a dozen workers provided the right documentation.

“This one employee was unable to and therefore was terminated,” Ross said. The entire process happened in the last month.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump already cleaning out the illegals [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn those pesky regulations!

I have a personality disorder, I don't drink coffee...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big deal. Do you think Wilbur Ross is actually doing the hiring of his household help? I'd be surprised if he knew their names.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is unacceptable, he should be hung for hiring them in the first place, castrated for firming someone just because they don't have proof of citizenship. How can we trust someone who can't even do the simplest of things in their own household.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: Trump already cleaning out the illegals [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Big deal. Do you think Wilbur Ross is actually doing the hiring of his household help? I'd be surprised if he knew their names.

Wasn't what I asked.

Linda Chavez, Zoe Baird, and Kimba Wood all lost positions because of it. Does it now fall under, 'big deal'?

Just like a candidate having had an affair does now, though it toasted candidates in the past (and granted some of them were fuckall stupid about it), having been divorced changed in the '80's, past drug use with Bush and Obama, etc.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me get this right, since 2009 he's had illegal immigrants working for him but a month before his nomination he decides to check again? Wow. That is diligence of the highest order. I am glad he's not in charge of the Megan's Law website.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Trump already cleaning out the illegals [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
Let me get this right, since 2009 he's had illegal immigrants working for him but a month before his nomination he decides to check again? Wow. That is diligence of the highest order. I am glad he's not in charge of the Megan's Law website.

Pretty sure you're a moron. He did the check BECAUSE of the vetting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
windywave wrote:

Wasn't what I asked.

Linda Chavez, Zoe Baird, and Kimba Wood all lost positions because of it. Does it now fall under, 'big deal'?

It might. Times change. We'll see. Until then this is not hitting my outrage meter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
windywave wrote:

Wasn't what I asked.

Just like a candidate having had an affair does now, though it toasted candidates in the past (and granted some of them were fuckall stupid about it), having been divorced changed in the '80's, past drug use with Bush and Obama, etc.

I said not a big deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

We're in agreement here. I guess that makes us both morons?

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Trump already cleaning out the illegals [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

Why would he have reason to do it otherwise?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

Absent the required verification of a document that has an expiration date, a well-founded reason to believe that a document originally provided was fraudulent, a SSA no-match letter, the destruction/loss of existing records, and perhaps some other limited reasons, I don't believe you can legally require a current employee to resubmit. (And I don't think additional vetting because you're up for a Cabinet post is one of the other limited reasons.)

I can see checking the I-9 forms on file to verify that everything was done properly in the first place, but asking every employee to resubmit seems to be a dick move, if not an unlawful one. Say a US citizen employee who had provided proper documents upon hire had refused, there may be a legitimate lawsuit if the employee was fired after refusing to cooperate.

That said, I agree that it's no big deal. I didn't think it was a bid deal for Kimba Wood and Zoe Baird.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

It would be nice (but naive) to find that someone would do the right thing out of principle rather than because they are forced into it.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump already cleaning out the illegals [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

It would be nice (but naive) to find that someone would do the right thing out of principle rather than because they are forced into it.

Someone hired this person and since he was going to be vetted they made sure everything was done right. I see no reason why someone would go back and check because one should assume it was done properly originally
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Someone hired this person and since he was going to be vetted they made sure everything was done right. I see no reason why someone would go back and check because one should assume it was done properly originally

If he assumed it was done properly originally why would he have to worry about it? Why should it matter whether it was found in vetting or whether it was found later? This is incredibly low on my outrage meter, but I don't think your argument makes any sense and it seems like you are doing it just to argue.
Quote Reply