Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The dumbest man alive, or the new normal?
Quote | Reply
Have smartphone apps become so all consuming of people's lives that they no longer realize they actually need cell or wifi service to use said apps? I occasionally see my teenage kids display this type of behavior/attitude, of always expecting cell/wifi service no matter where they are, and pretty fucking surprised when cell or wifi service is not available.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/...rtphone-app-failure/

ETA: The app didn't fail, it worked as designed, without cell service the app won't work. duh.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Last edited by: mck414: Jan 17, 17 8:20
Quote Reply
Re: The dumbest man alive, or the new normal? [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unreasonable expectations are the new norm. It'll be interesting how everyone reacts when the grid goes down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

ETA: The app didn't fail, it worked as designed, without cell service the app won't work. duh.

Kind of a bad design, though. Not like you couldn't design it to have at least some functionality without access to a network.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not his fault. It's Tesla's fault.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: The dumbest man alive, or the new normal? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And that's how the article is written, from my perspective.

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was being sarcastic. If you want to test the app, then by all means test the app. But to leave your key at home? That's purely idiotic.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A fool and his Tesla are soon parted . . . how did he get the Tesla in the first place?
Quote Reply
Re: The dumbest man alive, or the new normal? [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
A fool and his Tesla are soon parted . . . how did he get the Tesla in the first place?

How did he get a wife willing to run two miles through the desert to make up for his stupidity? If you can answer one, you'll probably have the answer to the other.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is one of the main reasons I drive a Prius and not a Tesla. If the key is not on me or in the car, it doesn't run. It is also almost impossible (I don't want to find out the hard way) for me to lock myself out of my car too.
Quote Reply
Re: The dumbest man alive, or the new normal? [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you can't break a window, you'll never be locked out of your car.

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Unless you can't break a window, you'll never be locked out of your car.

Had to do that one time with my Ford Focus on a photo shoot. Both the cell phone and keys were locked in the car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
To save the family from being stranded in the desert all night, Negri's wife had to run two miles to find signal and call a friend to bring the key fob.

Dumb? Maybe, but he sent his wife out for a run like a boss!
Quote Reply
Re: The dumbest man alive, or the new normal? [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
This is one of the main reasons I drive a Prius and not a Tesla. If the key is not on me or in the car, it doesn't run. It is also almost impossible (I don't want to find out the hard way) for me to lock myself out of my car too.

My Civic is smart enough to know if there is a key in the car, and won't lock the doors from the outside if so.

(it was my wife's key in her purse in the trunk)

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I dunno, it isn't completely idiotic to think that perhaps the app worked via bluetooth or wifi connection direct to the car. I don't think my first assumption would be that the phone connects to Tesla servers and then to the car. Probably not a great idea to leave the key home on the first test of the app, but I also imagine the car fob is one of the keep in the pocket and everything works sort of things so how would you test the app if the key was in your pocket?
Quote Reply
Re: The dumbest man alive, or the new normal? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
EndlessH2O wrote:

My Civic is smart enough to know if there is a key in the car, and won't lock the doors from the outside if so.

I'm smart enough to know if the key is in my pocket.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: The dumbest man alive, or the new normal? [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:

Probably not a great idea to leave the key home on the first test of the app, but I also imagine the car fob is one of the keep in the pocket and everything works sort of things so how would you test the app if the key was in your pocket?

Ummm, maybe drive it around the neighbourhood? Maybe don't test it on your drive to the middle of nowhere. Just a thought.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm impressed that he got all the way to the desert before the app failed. I just assumed that there would be more dead spots along the way.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The dumbest man alive, or the new normal? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
klehner wrote:
EndlessH2O wrote:

I'm smart enough to know if the key is in my pocket.[/quote

3 "pats" and good to lock and go (wallet, keys, phone)

(and I'm not even Catholic )
How hard is it ?

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: The dumbest man alive, or the new normal? [champy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Unreasonable expectations are the new norm"

That, my friend, is how I would sum up this decade.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply