Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If This Isn't A Conflict Of Interest... [wasusnowme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It raises concerns, possibly some ethics violations, perhaps insider trading, but I don't know that it's necessarily a conflict of interest.
Quote Reply
Re: If This Isn't A Conflict Of Interest... [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:
What is?

"Rep. Tom Price last year purchased shares in a medical device manufacturer days before introducing legislation that would have directly benefited the company, raising new ethics concerns for President-elect Donald Trump's nominee for Health and Human Services secretary.

Price bought between $1,001 to $15,000 worth of shares last March in Zimmer Biomet, according to House records reviewed by CNN.

Less than a week after the transaction, the Georgia Republican congressman introduced the HIP Act, legislation that would have delayed until 2018 a Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services regulation that industry analysts warned would significantly hurt Zimmer Biomet financially once fully implemented."

A few questions: 1) Did the Bill pass and become law? 2) What did the stock do? 3) Did he make the decision or his advisor? 4) Did he have a previous position or was he adding to it?

1 and 2 seem to be irrelevant. 3 and 4 are legitimate questions.
Quote Reply
Re: If This Isn't A Conflict Of Interest... [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
windywave wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:
What is?

"Rep. Tom Price last year purchased shares in a medical device manufacturer days before introducing legislation that would have directly benefited the company, raising new ethics concerns for President-elect Donald Trump's nominee for Health and Human Services secretary.

Price bought between $1,001 to $15,000 worth of shares last March in Zimmer Biomet, according to House records reviewed by CNN.

Less than a week after the transaction, the Georgia Republican congressman introduced the HIP Act, legislation that would have delayed until 2018 a Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services regulation that industry analysts warned would significantly hurt Zimmer Biomet financially once fully implemented."

A few questions: 1) Did the Bill pass and become law? 2) What did the stock do? 3) Did he make the decision or his advisor? 4) Did he have a previous position or was he adding to it?

1 and 2 seem to be irrelevant. 3 and 4 are legitimate questions.

I think one and two are important.

If he bought the stock and the bill went nowhere I don't see an issue with it because the position of the company did not change in the market place and that will be reflected in the stock price. Also if the stock didn't move on the news I again see no issue with it. Now if he purchased the stock made the announcement, the stock popped, and he sold it I'd indict the fucker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you saying that the use of insider information is irrelevant if the attempted gain doesn't pan out?

Do you feel the same way about attempted murder?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:
What is?

Well, it appears that everyone is so outraged that your questions are not being answered. Next time, you might try following the mob instead of asking mature sensible questions regarding reality.

Me? I'm thrilled so many people are now interested in who is nominated to help run the country. Thanks Trump!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
Are you saying that the use of insider information is irrelevant if the attempted gain doesn't pan out?

Do you feel the same way about attempted murder?

I don't know if this meets the threshold for material nonpublic information. If a Pentagon general in charge of procurement bought shares before announcing a big purchase I think that meets the threshold, but just introducing a bill is bouncing around the 40-60 range since it was just a proposal for a bill that has to pass to houses and get signed. I actually do think additional information especially about stock price and trading history would be informative in making the determination.
Quote Reply
Re: If This Isn't A Conflict Of Interest... [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Perseus wrote:
RZ wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

How did Harry Reid go from a popper to a multi millionaire while being a "public servant".

These "players" created the "game" and are setting all the rules. I choose to hate both.

We have some serious dirt balls in politics. We need term limits on everyone.

You mean like elections?

So are you fine with abolishing term limits for the president?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See post #15

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: If This Isn't A Conflict Of Interest... [trimick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimick wrote:
klehner wrote:
Perseus wrote:
RZ wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:

How did Harry Reid go from a popper to a multi millionaire while being a "public servant".

These "players" created the "game" and are setting all the rules. I choose to hate both.

You mean like elections?

President is not the same as member of Congress. There is institutional memory in the latter that is important to preserve that doesn't exist in the former.

Term limits are not the solution to a problem in instilling in the electorate the ability to think critically. It's a Band-Aid solution to a systemic problem, and one that creates its own problems.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
trimick wrote:
klehner wrote:
Perseus wrote:
RZ wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:

You mean like elections?

President is not the same as member of Congress. There is institutional memory in the latter that is important to preserve that doesn't exist in the former.

Term limits are not the solution to a problem in instilling in the electorate the ability to think critically. It's a Band-Aid solution to a systemic problem, and one that creates its own problems.

I disagree, term limits for Congress and the Senate IS a step in the right direction.

While I'm thinking about it, getting rid of there health care plans and let them go buy individual plans, get rid of their pension, they can save from their over inflated salaries like regular people.

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Looks like it was not an isolated occurrence.

"Donald Trump’s nominee to be the country’s next health care czar invested last year as much as $90,000 in six pharmaceutical companies shortly before leading a legislative and public relations effort that benefited those specific companies, records show.

Within weeks of making investments worth between $1,000 and $15,000 in Eli Lilly, Bristol-Meyers Squibb, Amgen, McKesson, Biogen and Pfizer according to Congressional disclosure forms, Rep. Tom Price co-sponsored legislation and took part in a public effort that ultimately killed proposed regulatory changes that would have likely hurt those companies’ bottom lines."

I have a personality disorder, I don't drink coffee...
Quote Reply
Re: If This Isn't A Conflict Of Interest... [wasusnowme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wasusnowme wrote:
windywave wrote:

Looks like it was not an isolated occurrence.

"Donald Trump’s nominee to be the country’s next health care czar invested last year as much as $90,000 in six pharmaceutical companies shortly before leading a legislative and public relations effort that benefited those specific companies, records show.

Within weeks of making investments worth between $1,000 and $15,000 in Eli Lilly, Bristol-Meyers Squibb, Amgen, McKesson, Biogen and Pfizer according to Congressional disclosure forms, Rep. Tom Price co-sponsored legislation and took part in a public effort that ultimately killed proposed regulatory changes that would have likely hurt those companies’ bottom lines."

Again the questions still apply.
Quote Reply
Re: If This Isn't A Conflict Of Interest... [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
RZ wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:

This. I certainly won't defend this guy but I'll say that this is hardly the first time, in fact it's pretty commonplace among Congresscritters. And only one party believes that more power and greater influence in the federal government is a good thing.

Fuck this guy and fuck Congress, how about that?

Is this a joke? Only one party talks about limiting gov't, but they only say it when the other party is in power; when it's their turn, they like lots of federal power and influence just fine.

So which is worse ~ the party that does what it says (even if it's undesirable), or the party that says they won't but does it anyway?
Quote Reply
Re: If This Isn't A Conflict Of Interest... [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:
RZ wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:

This. I certainly won't defend this guy but I'll say that this is hardly the first time, in fact it's pretty commonplace among Congresscritters. And only one party believes that more power and greater influence in the federal government is a good thing.

Fuck this guy and fuck Congress, how about that?

Is this a joke? Only one party talks about limiting gov't, but they only say it when the other party is in power; when it's their turn, they like lots of federal power and influence just fine.

So which is worse ~ the party that does what it says (even if it's undesirable), or the party that says they won't but does it anyway?

Great point. I think this, in part is why Trump got elected, he doesn't like either party and neither party likes him.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't be serious can you? Google is your friend Ken. Check out Harry Reid and Vegas land deals. And while your at it, how about seeing for yourself how Di Fi has made her money? Hint, make sure to peek at her husbands real estate dealings.

As for the OP. If the guy is dirty get rid of him.

klehner wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:

By having a salary well into six figures for thirty years, and having a good salary for fifteen before that? Is this a trick question? He's been making more than me, and my net worth makes me a "multi millionaire."

What's a "popper"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
trimick wrote:
klehner wrote:
Perseus wrote:
RZ wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:

You mean like elections?

Institutional memory. Really. What good is retained by keeping Pelosi McConnell Reid and McCain? They are what is wrong with this country. Ethically and morally they are all corrupt. Career politicians leach off the system and somehow they all become much richer when they are in office. Take John Yarmuth my Congressman. His network went up 34% from 07 to 08. His brother owns a home healthcare business that he invested up to $5 million and he wrote part of the ACA and the Home Healthcare Planning Improvement act. The HHPIA expands the number of health professionals who can refer patients to home health care yet he claims that this doesn't violate any ethical stance. Everyone talks about Trump and his conflicts of interest but no one talks about the conflicts of interest from Congress.
Quote Reply

Prev Next