Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to roast a f'ing roast.
Quote | Reply
So it came to my attention during the holidays that people cant fucking cook a roast properly. It need not be rocket science.

I've used this method for everything from prime ribs to todays inside round roast. I guess it could work for tenderloin but tenderloins taste like garbage. I wouldnt use it for brisket/flank or the really tough roasts that also need more moisture.

Step 1... salt and pepper with wreckless abandon and let the roast warm up.

Step 2... ready for the oven that's set as low as you can go. My oven, 175F. If your roast is bone in, no carrots required. Let the roast cook until it hits 120-130F. It's not going go much higher when you take it out.

Step 3... Remove the roast and let it rest for at least at least 30min. I did a batch of yorkshire puddings while it was resting. Then heat your oven as high it'll go.

Step 4... 10 minutes later, all done. The carrots didn't cook, I guess they need more heat for longer. Veggies are evil.

Step 5... Yummy in my tummy served with Bulliet. Typical instructions for reverse searing say resting isnt required at this point but I think it would've helped tonight. Only downside to this method is there are very little drippings to make gravy with. I like mustard with my roast bettery anyway.

Quote Reply
Re: How to roast a f'ing roast. [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your pudding looks under cooked.
Quote Reply
Re: How to roast a f'ing roast. [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Is the title "how to cook a f'ing yorkshire?"

Today was the first time I've ever made them and they didnt pop for some reason, further experimentation is required.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
windywave wrote:

Today was the first time I've ever made them and they didnt pop for some reason, further experimentation is required.

Sigh....cooking yorkshire pudding need not be rocket science.

-------------
"Life is fragile - we are all just a slip or a car crash away from being a very different person."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
windywave wrote:

http://www.lawrysonline.com/all-recipes

Use that recipe for the pudding
Quote Reply
Re: How to roast a f'ing roast. [drew_235] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Baking is a womens thing.... shall I point you in the direction of their forum and y'all can share your muffin recipes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lost my appetite when I saw that pudding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
Baking is a womens thing.... shall I point you in the direction of their forum and y'all can share your muffin recipes?

So you're mad because you can't do something a woman can do OR you can't do something more complicated than roast some meat?
Quote Reply
Re: How to roast a f'ing roast. [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I realize my limitations... I can cook protein, carbs not so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First: That looks really good!

Second: Is that steak knife metric or SAE?
Quote Reply
Re: How to roast a f'ing roast. [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In typical Mac Tools fashion they forgot to stamp in the size.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as the roast goes, the only thing I would do differently is slather it in butter, heat the oven to 450* for 10-15 minutes to sear. Then drop the temp to 175-200* depending on the oven.

That is how to cook a f'ing roast.
Quote Reply
Re: How to roast a f'ing roast. [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
As far as the roast goes, the only thing I would do differently is slather it in butter, heat the oven to 450* for 10-15 minutes to sear. Then drop the temp to 175-200* depending on the oven.

Agree on the order of heat. Need more salt and pepper. Take or leave the butter. Remove roast from fridge and let sit till near room temp. Preheat the oven to 450. Sear for 15 minutes flipping once. After searing remove the roast and let the oven cool to 200 or it will overcook quickly. Put roast back in at 200. Cook till center is 120-125 Remove. Let sit for 1/2 hour. Inside temp will go to 125-130.

Eat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go high temp first. 4 minutes per pound of roast at 500. Then turn the oven off. DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR. Take it out after 2 hours. As it rests, prep Yorkshire pudding- I do them at 450 until puffed and brown.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.seriouseats.com/...rib-beef-recipe.html

I actually did this with four ribeye steaks this week: cooked them on a convection setting at 170 for about 1.5 hours or so, then rested them, then put them under the broiler for 90 seconds a side. About 1/16" of sear containing perfect medium-rare steak inside.

The whole "sear first" concept is wrong. Here's an explanation: http://www.seriouseats.com/...rfect-prime-rib.html

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One set of my Grandparents were from the UK - Sunday Roast Beef with Yorkshire pudding was a staple for family dinners.

I like your technique. It's sound.

We also do these days a Roast Beef in the Slow Cooker - This can really tenderize tougher less expensive Roast Beef Cuts.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: How to roast a f'ing roast. [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:

I second this, that or searing it in the pan on the stove first.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: How to roast a f'ing roast. [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do it the other way! Trust me, its better... and easier.

You can almost pre-cook and then re-heat your roast... I started mine at 11:30 and came in at 3 to find the oven off... it turned itself off when the roast hit 125F. Two hours later, the roast was still 124F and I completed the process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
Do it the other way! Trust me, its better... and easier.

You can almost pre-cook and then re-heat your roast... I started mine at 11:30 and came in at 3 to find the oven off... it turned itself off when the roast hit 125F. Two hours later, the roast was still 124F and I completed the process.

I'll give that a try next week. I may give the Yorkshire pudding a try too.

What's the Lava Room's best YP recipe?

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job and thanks for posting with pics.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply