Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ok, Obama does something good.
Quote | Reply
He ends wet foot, dry foot residency policy for Cubans. Why should Cubans get a unique exception for crossing our border?

I'm sure Rubio is pissed.

http://hosted.ap.org/...=2017-01-12-16-50-37

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/obama-ending-policy-giving-residency-cubans-arriving-u-213631433.html

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Ok, Obama does something good. [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to include a link with the Miami Herald. Look keep an eye on the comments.

http://www.miamiherald.com/...rticle126202999.html

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I'll start by saying Im of Cuban descent so I may be a little bias.
Im curious as to why the king of amnesty did this with just a few days of his term left. Traditionally , Cubans more than other refugees, get here and assimilate and actually strive to become Americans , Im not sure if this is still a fact but in the past cuban refugees where mostly conservative and when able would vote republican. I wonder if he is doing this as a favor to the Cuban government or as payback for loosing Florida.
Im all for accepting refugees escaping oppressive communist countries weather it be Cuba ,Venezuala or North Korea but not from countries that have a huge populations of people that want to mow us down with box trucks.
If Cuba was just a shitty country like Mexico and folks were just coming over for economic reasons , I think they should get in line just like everyone else that wants to immigrate here.
Quote Reply
Re: Ok, Obama does something good. [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to live in Florida for quite some time and spent a lot of time in south Florida. Cubans as an immigrant group symbolize the process. I have had issues with some who see themselves as simply Cuban citizens in exile or even a govt in exile waiting to return. But that's another discussion.

No one group should get preference and all should wait in line like my wife did.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Windy won't like this. I mean Cuba is so horrific that every person leaving Cuba should be treated as a refugee. Amiright?!?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess its a bit of a slippery slope when debating one who is immigrating versus one who is escaping persecution.
That being said. I dont believe there are many Cubans left in Cuba that even know there history of fighting for freadom.
Much less ones activley against there govt , and in danger of persecution.
It seems that just like with other country's south of our boarder , they have been informed ( I believe through this administration) how easy it is to apply and recieve assistance when arriving here. And many have learned to game the system . You can live pretty well in Cuba on a monthly ss check from the US.
Which brings me to my question as to why obama has decided to do this. Wealth redistribution is his wet dream.
And here is a system that was doing just that. Below is an article about this problem.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/...art-1-htmlstory.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why? Because the end goal is to normalize relations with Cuba and Cuba wants the US to scrap this policy.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In general Cuba is one of those things that can be a thorn in the side of the president. Most Americans prefer normalized relations, but there is a very vocal anti-normalization community.

He couldn't do it before the election because it might have mobilized more people to vote against Clinton in Florida. One of his key objectives from way back in 2008 was to try to normalize relationships with everyone. He now has one success story.

I wonder if there was some discussion with the Trump team along the lines of both sides agreeing that is was what should be done. Obama does it so that the Trump administration doesn't have to deal with the negative sides. I was trying to think back to the end of previous administrations to things they did as lame ducks that were deemed as smart but political third rails.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.manilatimes.net/...migrants-say/306712/

Whether I think it is a good policy or not is irrelevant. The younger generations of Cuban Americans in South Florida were beginning to become more supportive of the Democratic Party. Hopefully this reminds them of what is important. And hopefully that seals the deal on Florida being red for a few more elections.

Quote Reply