Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any one watch the premier of Taboo?
Quote | Reply
It is gritty, dark and stylish - perhaps to the point of being over the top in self-love. I know I'm supposed to like these types of shows, but I did not find it compelling enough to watch Episode #2.
Quote Reply
Re: Any one watch the premier of Taboo? [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. I was very excited about it, but left wondering what the hell I just watched. There have been a number of series that lost me on the first couple episodes, but grabbed me later, so, I will continue. But, so far, it has not grabbed me.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got it recorded.

What do you mean by "over the top in self-love"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally watched it last night. I love the genre so none of that bothered me, and I'd probably watch Tom Hardy hang wallpaper if it were televised. High hopes for this series.

Also, The Young Pope is set to debut either this week or next on HBO. Looks intriguing.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not yet, recorded and planning on watching it tomorrow.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Any one watch the premier of Taboo? [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:

Tom Hardy is one of the executive producers. It was about 45 min of close ups of Tom Hardy brooding.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Any one watch the premier of Taboo? [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:

In addition to what JSA suggested the premier was also (in my opinion) over-the-top in the presentation of the time period . . . like if one were to do a show on the 60's everyone would be wearing bell-bottoms and flashing peace signs. I'm also tired of the 'reluctant' character, reluctant to be a father, a son, a brother, hero, villian and etc . . . and also reluctant to tell us what's on his mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed on both counts -- overdoing the period and the reluctant character.

Also, if this is going to turn supernatural, I'm out. Not sure yet, but, there are hints at it.

Mind you, I like the supernatural, but was not looking for it in this show.

Quote Reply
Re: Any one watch the premier of Taboo? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Same here. I was very excited about it, but left wondering what the hell I just watched. There have been a number of series that lost me on the first couple episodes, but grabbed me later, so, I will continue. But, so far, it has not grabbed me.

please report back in a couple weeks. I am currently DVR'ing the series; haven't watched ep 1. Our tastes are similar and I would prefer to not invest in this one if it's not worth it.

I have got Sneaky Pete on the radar from Amazon as well. Watched ep 1 and it has some promise.
Quote Reply
Re: Any one watch the premier of Taboo? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So far, so good, imo.

I think they always hinted at the show having some kind of supernatural element. After the first episode, that seems more ambiguous than I expected- it might just be madness. I'm leaning towards supernatural, though.

As for the reluctant character . . . I didn't really get that. I read it more as intensity. Same for the period stuff- I didn't find it overdone, I thought it was more of a Regency-noir kind of thing. I liked it.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recorded it, started it while eating dinner last night...and was supremely bored. I WANTED to like it (even set to record the whole series). But about 17 minutes in, I didn't care. 45 minutes in, I got up to clean up dishes and didn't pause it. Didn't finish, and don't really feel like i missed it.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply