Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SHOT Show Coming
Quote | Reply
I have a prediction. I have long had a love hate relationship with Ruger. The politics under Bill Ruger (old man) sucked, but they build everything like a tank and always works well. I really like my SR556 takedown rifle from Ruger. Primarily due to the ease I can switch between 300 AAC and 5.56 with no changes in POA. Hell, the optics is well within 3 MOA combat tolerances. Why? Because unlike most AR developments where manufacturers work off an existing product, Ruger rebuilt their piston rifle from the ground up. No issues with buffer tube and feeding, no issues with aim. It just works.

So I was actually looking at their SR762. It isn't a takedown, but those who have them, say they work better than most AR-10s and at least as good as a KAC or even a H&K. I might argue the accuracy of those two rifles is superior to the ruger, but with a price tag of a couple thousand more, that is an acceptable trade off. Sub MOA vs 1.5 MOA. How much is that extra half inch at 100 or 3 inches at 600 worth. But the price has dropped nearly 500 in the last quarter. This is odd.

I predict that Ruger is going to release a takedown in 762, with quick change options for 6.5 creedmore. The bolt face is the same, the creedmore can function in a short action like a .308. The buffer needs to be stronger, but that can be regulated with the piston, vs a buffer change in a DI system.

You heard it here first, because I have searched for any wording on this on the far reaches of the gunwebs, can find it.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: SHOT Show Coming [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reason the KAC is more expensive is because of a superior bolt. The E3 bolt (and matching barrel extension) really is a better mousetrap.

Personally I'm not a fan of piston driven systems. If you look at weapons subjected to heavy firing schedules, DI does very very well whereas piston driven systems frequently have problems (cracked/warped pistons, receiver wear, cracked receiver, cracked carriers, etc). Some interesting reading on the subject here and here.

DI can be regulated as well. Here's just one example. There are tons of others out there. The only thing a piston can do that I haven't seen DI do (yet) is self-regulate along the lines of LWRCI's self-regulating piston (frankly the only piston gun I'd buy but for that sort of money I'd get a KAC E3)

My $0.02 is that 2017 will be the last "good" show for Shot Show for some time. The industry has set itself up for a world of hurt. Everyone and their cousin bought a CNC and got an FFL during the Obama gun scare not to mention a lot of demand was brought forward. This year will probably be the last hurrah for a lot of companies.
Quote Reply
Re: SHOT Show Coming [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the same thing. A lot of them anticipated a Hillary win that would allow them to make a premium on some hot new products in the short run. By the way, I would love a KAC. I didn't mean to imply they took existing technology. Stoner worked with KAC if I recall in their evolved AR-10 model.

As for the m110, it was supposed to fill in the medium-long range gap the move to widescale use of the m4 created and was temporarily filled by reintroduction of the M14. They had a lot of problems with it in the field. The official line it was too heavy, but it was then used phased to a limited scope. It is now being replaced by an piston driven .308. I did some research and piston system is very similar. The key difference is that the ruger models enclose the piston within the rail, so what you buy with the rifle is what you get. Leaving you limited options.

Me, I scoped my LMT DI system to run match grade handloads out to 600.

I'm in the market for a .308 semi-auto, because I started to EBR my M1A. I quickly realized that while it may be well within combat tolerance (1 moa with its match barrel) and I've found a desirable scope mounting option, it remains a very long barreled gun. I suppose I could rebarrel it, but that is a costly proposition to convert a rifle which wasn't really designed to be scoped into something it isn't. The Galil Ace (about 1.5-2.0 MOA) is looking good to, but they don't have the 20 or 18 inch models out yet. We'll see. My interest in .308 again stems from reloading .308 again with well established loads I have lots of sniper data in my personal notebook. I have a savage 10 police that is all the bolt rifle I need, but want something different.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will work for Shot Show admission :)

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Last edited by: CruseVegas: Jan 11, 17 21:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the Desert Tech MDR: https://deserttech.com/...oad=product_overview

It's not cheap but the cool stuff rarely is :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like the Tavor. I'll give it a closer look.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where did you find this and who are these guys. This is like what I want to do. Create a massive shooting facility and custom weapons.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At first glance, I thought you were posting about the Trump administration and telling us about the coming shit show.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Where did you find this and who are these guys. This is like what I want to do. Create a massive shooting facility and custom weapons.

A looooong time ago I was friends with a really wealthy guy who took a keen interest in all things military. He was wanted to buy Triple Canopy and another defense contractor that will go unnamed and merge them. I looked at their books and toured their facilities and that's how I was introduced to the guys at Desert Tech. I kept up with a lot of the people I met along the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool. I used had some merc clients back during the early cpa years of the Iraq war.

I tried to get a job with triple canopy but they would hire non-veterans. Didn't matter I had other experiences with PMCs. Was offered an audit position with dyncorp after an accounting manager at an fob in Kandahar with them was shot down by the wife. The position still required a move to dfw though and my wife was already a sr manager. The more elite shooting community gets very small.

Here are a lot of weekends warriors with money that allow more elite non sponsored shooters to do what it is they do. So spend some time in Florida or Arizona shooting and you can meet and become friends with some serious names very quick. I'm shooting a pistol match after a 6 year layoff tomorrow night just to get back into it. But found a 2gun match with a lot of big names in Arizona gun industry next month. This competition includes an armored division. I figured being a powerlifter/ironman with a good trigger finger will pay off.

Let you know. Look up sinestral rifleman. I'll be shooting with him.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of people who own gun shops, especially class 3 houses, don't make a lot of money. Think of hem like hobbyist funding their hobby. Sort of like "pot dealers" who buy an ounce. Take their 10% and sell the rest at the cost of the original ounce.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one thing I'm happy about with Ruger. The new mark IV.

My Bull Barrel mark 1, 40 years old? (got it when I was 14). They are a bitch to take apart and clean, it makes no sense. The new mark IV, on click to take apart, threaded barrel, top rail for a red dot if you choose. This new change has me looking at other Rugers
Quote Reply