Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trump on the Wall - "Mexico is going to pay us back later" [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I expect taxing remittances would work about as well as the war on drugs.

In theory, such a plan can sound reasonable.

In practice, it will be relatively ineffective, create more criminals and cost a lot money in the long run when all factors are considered.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on the Wall - "Mexico is going to pay us back later" [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't believe for a second this will work, or if it does, that it will work for long

Hawala agents have been transferring money internationally for muslims for centuries (?), you present cash to your local broker, he informs the destination broker who upon receipt of a code hands over the cash

in 2017, thats still the preferred way that my muslim colleagues living in the UK collect rent from properties in Iraq, Kuwait etc

the money never hits a bank

I can not believe for a second that cuban americans or mexicans have not figured out a way of repatriating cash without having to hit up western union
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on the Wall - "Mexico is going to pay us back later" [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

Serious question: what do you think the "problem" is, and what could Mexico do about it?

The problem is that there are millions of illegal immigrants in the US. (Encompasses a wide range of problems.) Mexico, far from trying to solve that problem, actively encourages it. They could knock that off, for a start. Long run, they could fix their own damn dysfunctional country.

Do you support decriminalization or legalization of drugs in our country? Do that, and instantly Mexico stops being a dysfunctional country.

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on the Wall - "Mexico is going to pay us back later" [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ah, in that case, the world's governments will probably go with the evidence and make a rational choice. ;-)

seriously, my prediction is just based on the numbers: half a trillion floating around, and sooner or later some politician is going to decide they want a piece of that. i make no promises on whether they go about it in a clever way.

from the market side, transfers are also often inefficient and even corrupt. lots of people in the world are still handing an envelope of cash to a long-haul minibus driver and asking him to hand it to a cousin down the road. a few very interesting systems have arisen to solve this - the muslim example is one, and so is the fantastic MPESA system in kenya.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on the Wall - "Mexico is going to pay us back later" [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Not really. As I understand it, the proposal is to tax remittances to Mexico from illegal immigrants. (I know, it's a Trump proposal we're talking about. Still.) As such, I think it's entirely justified- they don't have a right to work here and send money out of the country in the first place, and it would act as a significant disincentive for illegal immigration.

I'm not entirely sure why we wouldn't simply seize these monies altogether. They are profits gained from illegal activity. Tax them? Screw that. Take them. Follow them back to the source and prosecute.

Of course, this will not happen, because we don't particularly want to enforce immigration law, largely because it's unpopular with specific voting segments and partly because some of our industries profit from low wage workers.

Additionally, the process of taxing or seizing, the process of verifying that money was coming from an illegal alien, etc all costs money in and of itself, and we're not interested in spending that money or increasing the government apparatus required to fulfill those functions.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on the Wall - "Mexico is going to pay us back later" [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Additionally, the process of taxing or seizing, the process of verifying that money was coming from an illegal alien, etc all costs money in and of itself, and we're not interested in spending that money or increasing the government apparatus required to fulfill those functions.

I am.

And I think taxing the money presents far less of a problem in that regard than seizure/investigation/prosecution.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on the Wall - "Mexico is going to pay us back later" [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm not entirely sure why we wouldn't simply seize these monies altogether. They are profits gained from illegal activity. Tax them? Screw that. Take them. Follow them back to the source and prosecute.

You pretty much answered the above in your next paragraph, here...

Quote:
Of course, this will not happen, because we don't particularly want to enforce immigration law, largely because it's unpopular with specific voting segments and partly because some of our industries profit from low wage workers.

And that answer above is exactly 100% on the button (and a large proportion of the reason Trump got elected).

Interestingly, if you look at the electoral map Trump support comes mainly form areas that don't have a "problem" with illegal immigration.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

Serious question: what do you think the "problem" is, and what could Mexico do about it?

The problem is that there are millions of illegal immigrants in the US. (Encompasses a wide range of problems.) Mexico, far from trying to solve that problem, actively encourages it. They could knock that off, for a start. Long run, they could fix their own damn dysfunctional country.

See, I don't view an illegal immigrant as a problem, necessarily. Many if not most of them are people who want to work hard and make a better life for themselves and their families. I really don't have a problem with those folks. I do have a problem with a system that allows some to come here and freeload; I do have a problem with employers who hire illegals; I do have a problem with a muddled tax system that in some cases penalizes illegals and in some rewards them.

So I advocate for strong border controls, and at the same time I advocate for employer penalties and some sort of a work visa program. I also advocate for amnesty to some extent - I realize that that's a non-starter for many.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on the Wall - "Mexico is going to pay us back later" [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

And that answer above is exactly 100% on the button (and a large proportion of the reason Trump got elected).

Interestingly, if you look at the electoral map Trump support comes mainly form areas that don't have a "problem" with illegal immigration.

Interestingly, if you look at the electoral map of Trump support I'll think you'll find huge swaths of areas that think they receive zero benefit from illegal immigrants. I live in one of those areas. Don't take that as me saying we don't have a serious immigration problem. Many people who advocate shipping all the illegals back have no idea what that would mean for them.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on the Wall - "Mexico is going to pay us back later" [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Interestingly, if you look at the electoral map of Trump support I'll think you'll find huge swaths of areas that think they receive zero benefit from illegal immigrants. I live in one of those areas. Don't take that as me saying we don't have a serious immigration problem. Many people who advocate shipping all the illegals back have no idea what that would mean for them.

Yeah, I've never advocated sending "them" back.

I think we should streamline the process of making them citizens and doing our best to help them assimilate to American culture.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on the Wall - "Mexico is going to pay us back later" [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
I'm loathe to put words in your mouth, but I've never heard anyone making the argument that you're making (our government and business wants them here) actually favor measures designed to limit illegal immigration. Never. If you were serious about that, I don't see why you wouldn't favor a comprehensive approach, that addresses the immigration side as well as the employment side.

Look at it this way. I am against prostitution but not punishing prostitutes. Punishing people already being exploited is cruel.

If we did not have laws and policies enabling employers to create jobs for them, they would not come. They come for work and better economic situations. Get rid of the jobs, you get rid of the illegal immigrants, without further punishing them.

The system we have now is analogous (and yes, I know this forum reallllllyyyyy struggles with analogies, analogous does not mean identical) to having no punishment for John's but fining prostitutes heavily.

So do you oppose illegal immigration?

Yes

What about deportation of illegal aliens?

No

What I am against is the way we facilitate them coming here, use them for cheap labor, then wanting to pile on punishment and confiscation of money.

Those who want to tax remittances because it is wealth leaving the country, do you also want to levy a tax when someone in the US makes a foreign investment?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on the Wall - "Mexico is going to pay us back later" [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Those who want to tax remittances because it is wealth leaving the country, do you also want to levy a tax when someone in the US makes a foreign investment?

No. (We'd be better off if we could find a way to encourage investment here, rather than overseas, but that's a completely different issue.) It's wealth leaving the country, sent by someone who had no right to be earning it in the first place that bugs me.

And taxing remittances is one way to stop facilitating the exploitation that we both find objectionable. You object to "punishing" illegal immigrants because we've made it so enticing for them to come here illegally, but oppose a plan to make it less attractive for them to come here.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

No. (We'd be better off if we could find a way to encourage investment here, rather than overseas, but that's a completely different issue.) It's wealth leaving the country, sent by someone who had no right to be earning it in the first place that bugs me.

I hope it bugs you even more to consider the wealth earned by the employer of said someone. If we were to address that, we wouldn't have to jump through hoops to try to address the issue of remittances.

Got a problem with dysfunctional Mexico? Stop the War on Drugs in this country. Done.

Got a problem with illegal immigrants sending wealth out of the country? Stop employing them. Done.

What? Easier said than done? Then stop saying it.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on the Wall - "Mexico is going to pay us back later" [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope it bugs you even more to consider the wealth earned by the employer of said someone. If we were to address that, we wouldn't have to jump through hoops to try to address the issue of remittances.

It bugs me just as much. Hope you're ok with that. And I've already said we should go after those employers. I've also said that just because we don't, doesn't entitle foreigners to cross our border illegally, work here illegally, and then send their earnings out of the country. And I also think the "hoops" involved in taxing remittances are likely to be far less onerous than investigating and prosecuting employers. It's low hanging fruit.

Got a problem with dysfunctional Mexico? Stop the War on Drugs in this country. Done.

In the first place, probably not. In the second place, we're under no obligation to slit our own throats when it comes to drug laws just because Mexico can't maintain a functional country. Screw that, total non-starter as far as I'm concerned.

Got a problem with illegal immigrants sending wealth out of the country? Stop employing them. Done.

Or deport them. Done.

Gee, things are so simple.

Quote Reply

Prev Next