Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: multiple dead and injured in shooting at Fort Lauderdale airport [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't debate guns with an guy who has suggested those of us who support gun rights are complacent in deaths and mass shootings. Bet Lorenzo forgot that little fommebtbhe made about Duffy. But I didn't.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: multiple dead and injured in shooting at Fort Lauderdale airport [gotsand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gotsand wrote:
I don't think he had to petition for return of his pistol. There was no legal basis to hold it.

Again, thank you for the clarification. I knew I should only get my news from the LR. Stupid mainstream media: "Santiago was then committed for four days to be mentally evaluated. A month later, he petitioned to get his gun back from Anchorage police."

I don't think that article used the word "petitioned" correctly. Multiple other reports say this:

Santiago got the gun back a month later when he retrieved the pistol from police headquarters, and it was that weapon, law enforcement sources told CNN, that he used to kill five people and wound six others at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport on Friday.

http://ktla.com/...d-by-police-sources/

Authorities were so concerned when Esteban Santiago visited the FBI Anchorage, Alaska, office in November that they confiscated his gun and ordered a mental health evaluation. A month later, Santiago retrieved the weapon from police headquarters.

http://www.nbc26.com/...suspect-get-gun-back

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: multiple dead and injured in shooting at Fort Lauderdale airport [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a link to the article I read that sounds like he travelled with nothing but the pistol. I had forgotten that he also purchased a one-way ticket. Even more weird.

http://www.nbcnews.com/...ampage-began-n704516

From the article:
Court documents revealed that Santiago told the FBI after the shooting that he planned the attack, and had purchased a one-way ticket from Anchorage, Alaska — his luggage was a legally checked Walther 9mm handgun and two magazines of ammunition.
According to a criminal complaint, Santiago told the FBI that after landing he retrieved the checked handgun case from baggage claim, went to a bathroom and loaded the weapon, then tucked it into his waistband.

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: multiple dead and injured in shooting at Fort Lauderdale airport [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This report makes it sound different that what I thought people were saying. I thought people were saying he checked in a suitcase, but the suitcase was empty except for a case with his handgun. This makes it sound like he did not have a suitcase. All he had was a gun case that carried his gun. If that is the case, it makes a little more sense. The last time I flew, there were a couple guys who showed up at baggage claim. All they checked was a couple gun cases. They were carrying backpacks, which I assume had their clothing. So, I could see a situation where he only checks a gun case and the gate agent just assumes he has a carry on with clothing.

Anchorage Airport police chief confirms Fort Lauderdale shooting suspect boarded Delta flight w no other bags other than gun in a hard case.

https://twitter.com/...s/817542481419997184

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: multiple dead and injured in shooting at Fort Lauderdale airport [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More here:

Esteban Santiago arrived at the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport Thursday evening more than four hours before his flight to Florida, bringing with him no baggage other than a handgun case, according to the chief of the airport's police and fire department.
. . .
Davis said Santiago brought no carry-on luggage and had no bags to check, except for a single handgun case — no larger than a laptop case. He said that did not create concern at the airport.

"It's not our business whether they travel with a suitcase or not," Davis said. "A single passenger coming with no luggage wouldn't necessarily be unusual."
https://www.adn.com/...carrying-a-gun-case/

Last edited by: JSA: Jan 10, 17 18:01
Quote Reply
Re: multiple dead and injured in shooting at Fort Lauderdale airport [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CruseVegas wrote:

Could you tell me what you mean by "guns perceived as a solution to problems"?

Movies, TV shows and way too many political solutions involve guns and weaponry as a means to resolve conflict and release stress - - and if one has psychological pathologies or has shit for brains - and a problem - picking up a gun is a way out.
Quote Reply
Re: multiple dead and injured in shooting at Fort Lauderdale airport [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I fly without luggage fairly often.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: multiple dead and injured in shooting at Fort Lauderdale airport [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it's been a couple of days since I posed some questions to you regarding citizens and firearms, and still no response, even though you have posted at least ten times on this one thread about your disdain for citizens being armed. So, it appears you are simply gunphobic and have no rational solution to offer to avoid becoming a victim in the scenario I described or any other scenarios we have witnessed in recent years.

Here is a condensed version of the questions for you

• Tell me what YOU would be hoping for if you had been in the room in San Bernandino when two wackos showed up and started shooting. One door in or out and no place to hide. People are being murdered, you are two or three people down the line from the last victim, no security personnel on the site, no cops around. What would YOU want at that moment? Your are ten seconds from being shot. Tell me.
  • Do you have insurance on your car?
  • Do you wear seatbelts?

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply

Prev Next