Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New TV series
Quote | Reply
Anyone else stoked for Taboo and The Young Pope? Not hearing much buzz about either outside of promos, but they both look highly promising.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Jan 4, 17 6:38
Quote Reply
Re: New TV series [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Young Pope? Is that a Mel Brooks production?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The young pope looks similar to the bourges.

Could be good!

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: New TV series [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:

Could be good!

Is that similar to Borgia?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm interested in hearing whether Tom Hardy's cockney accent slips into Bane like it did in Peaky Blinders.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Jan 4, 17 7:53
Quote Reply
Re: New TV series [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:

Could be good!

Is that similar to Borgia?

Ha! Thats what i meant.

Quote Reply
Re: New TV series [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I watched the premier episode of The Young Pope last night. What a shit show that was. A stylistically incoherent disaster with no redeeming or engaging qualities. The Pope is such an over the top cartoonish villain that it obliterated any chance of a plausible narrative. Nothing at all like I expected from the previews. I always give a show two episodes, but I can't see it going anywhere beyond that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I plan to get into Taboo soon, but another really good one right now is Shooter with Ryan Phillippe. It's on USA, all episodes so far are on demand. Really good show.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
So I watched the premiere episode of The Young Pope last night. What a shit show that was. A stylistically incoherent disaster with no redeeming or engaging qualities. The Pope is such an over the top cartoonish villain that it obliterated any chance of a plausible narrative.

You're looking for plausible narrative?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We just started Sneaky Pete on Amazon. Good so far. I think there's only one season to watch for now.

We're halfway through the second season of Shameless on Netflix. That's entertaining as well, in a different sort of way.

Those are my Tuesday morning suggestions.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Pope is such an over the top cartoonish villain that it obliterated any chance of a plausible narrative.

I watched it based on your interest, and couldn't figure out what to make of the show. I didn't mind the pope's anti-hero/villain turn as much as the over the top caricatures of all the other prelates around him. At least I was trying to figure out what I was supposed to make of the pope. But the other characters- talk about cartoonish. Not interesting at all.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
So I watched the premier episode of The Young Pope last night. What a shit show that was. A stylistically incoherent disaster with no redeeming or engaging qualities. The Pope is such an over the top cartoonish villain that it obliterated any chance of a plausible narrative. Nothing at all like I expected from the previews. I always give a show two episodes, but I can't see it going anywhere beyond that.

That sucks. I planned on checking it out this weekend, perhaps you saved me some time!

Quote Reply
Re: New TV series [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was done after the "don't laugh too much....you should laugh now" scene. WTF was that? And his mother's monologue; I didn't know if that was supposed to be an actual dramatic moment or some sort of ironic meta-treatment. The entire episode just left me baffled and disinterested.

Last edited by: sphere: Jan 17, 17 7:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was done after the "don't laugh too much....you should laugh now" scene. WTF was that?

Exactly. The manipulative, scheming cardinal . . . the sniveling toady . . . then there was the terminally naive confessor to the entire Curia . . . just badly drawn cartoons.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Much to my surprise I really like Good Behavior on TNT. The just finished season one and got renewed for season two. It's weird to hear Michele Dockery's NC accent when I know she is British. Interesting characters.
Quote Reply