Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Socks for work
Quote | Reply
I'm running out of socks to wear for work, it seems like dockers or any other brand at kohl's only make one size fits all socks and they only last about a year before a toe or heel is poking out.

Anyone have recommendations of good dress socks that don't hurt the bank?

Nothing fancy, I never understood why people wear bright pink argyle socks. Plain brown and blacks work for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Socks for work [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stopped wearing dress socks because of poking holes on my big toe rather quickly and they are expensive to replace compared to athletic socks. These days I wear black Puma athletic socks that I get from Costco about $10 (or so, don't remember exactly) for a 1/2 dozen. It has taken a couple of years before I poked some holes in these socks (toes only).

They are a bit thick so on a hot summer day it is a little too warm at times but that is the only gripe I have about them. Much cheaper and for me more comfortable than dress socks (plus 2-3 pairs of nice dress socks costs more than a 1/2 dozen of these Puma's).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clip your toenails/talons.

Brightly colored patterned socks are the best. Youre missing out.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go down to Marshall's and hit the sock rack. Pretty good stuff on the cheap.

Quote | Reply
I agree with the keeping your toenails trimmed.

I find dress socks pretty cheap. 3 pair for $10-15 and they certainly last a year. I typically buy from an outlet mall store or from Marshalls/TJ Maxx, etc. Just before the holidays Steinmart had fun, colorful dress socks for $1.99.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stance socks all the way. Hit up your local Bloomingdales and buy a few pair on sale.

Quote | Reply
Thorlo makes good socks that last a long time. I've got running socks that are 10+ years old. I've also got hiking socks and some of their other versions that can go with casual work clothes that have lasted 5+ years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Darn Tough Socks

Your welcome.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Socks for work [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Clip your toenails/talons.

Brightly colored patterned socks are the best. Youre missing out.

I thought if you were a runner you didn't need to worry about such things since your toenails fall off after developing blisters underneath.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear these at least once a week. Highly recommended. But then, I get the rest of my work wardrobe from a scrub dispenser, so fashion isn't really high on the priority list.

https://www.lids.com/washington-nationals-stance-brigade-socks/20743566

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Jan 4, 17 6:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you're going for a particular look or style, dress socks are a bad deal. They're far too thin to endure regular use, and the construction is typically on the uncomfortable side.

Go with athletic socks. Running socks tend to be most resilient, but are relatively expensive. Department store crew socks are probably the best deal. The solids (black, navy, tan) work with most shoes.

Today, I'm getting away with white crew socks because I'm wearing mid-height boots. They're quite soft and breathable. I save the dress socks for suit and tie occasions.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing fancy, I never understood why people wear bright pink argyle socks. Plain brown and blacks work for me.

My teenage brother wears high socks with bacon and cheese on them. Apparently bright pink argyle socks are out, and high socks with deli products is in.
Quote Reply
Re: Socks for work [champy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Novelty socks are certainly in. I have bicycle, bacon, and bear eating salmon versions.

In the summer, I stick with multicoloured stripey socks from Amazon. Never pay more then $10 for 3 pairs. That way who cares if they match. They're both multicoloured stripey socks, close enough.

In the winter, Costco wool socks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for black athletic socks. Most any department store sells them in packs of 3 or more, $10 for a pack of three. More comfortable than your typical dress socks and they last longer.

It works for me because I can wear Dockers slacks to work. It might not work on Wall Street.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Socks for work [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
It works for me because I can wear Dockers slacks to work. It might not work on Wall Street.

Should work for me! I wear a suit, but never leave my office where no one but my officemate sees me. I honestly don't know why I have to wear a suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Nothing fancy, I never understood why people wear bright pink argyle socks. Plain brown and blacks work for me.[/quote]

Why do people wear fun socks? Because they're f'ing awesome. Life is far too short for boring socks.
Quote Reply
Re: Socks for work [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Darn Tough Socks

Your welcome.

That's all I wear too. Maybe not considered a dress sock.

Have you had to use the lifetime guarantee yet? I have one bad sock and am waiting on a second to go bad But no additional ones have went bad in a year.
Quote Reply
Re: Socks for work [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Darn Tough Socks

Your welcome.

That's all I wear too. Maybe not considered a dress sock.

Have you had to use the lifetime guarantee yet? I have one bad sock and am waiting on a second to go bad But no additional ones have went bad in a year.

Haven't had any issues yet. I have a pair with over 100 miles of backpacking in them. Pretty much like new.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply