Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kiffin out for championship game
Quote | Reply
Lane Kiffin has been fired as OC for Alabama just before the championship. Pretty odd to fire your OC this late, even though Kiffen is already headed out the door. Big gamble to make that kind of change right before the big game.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Last edited by: slowguy: Jan 2, 17 9:38
Quote Reply
Re: Kiffin out for championship game [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always thought it was crappy when a coach rolls out before the bowl game, but Kiffin wasn't doing that so I wonder what's really going on here. Was he not engaged? Were the players mad? Maybe Kiffin is just a dumb ass. This quote from an ESPN story makes me think so. "Kiffin, who credits Saban for showing him how to handle an entire program as a head coach, joked last week that he couldn't recall any fond memories at Alabama, only the so-called "ass-chewings" Saban gave him from time to time." http://www.espn.com/...mson-tide-title-game
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fired? He took a job at FAU
Quote Reply
Re: Kiffin out for championship game [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

He was supposed to continue as OC through the championship, and then move onto the FAU job afterwards. Today, Saban announced that he was out and Sakisian is in.

I say "fired" because this wasn't the plan. Alabama didn't play great offense in the first playoff vs Washington, and Kiffin and Saban don't get along, so my guess is the two diva personalities just couldn't make it work for one more week.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:

He was supposed to continue as OC through the championship, and then move onto the FAU job afterwards. Today, Saban announced that he was out and Sakisian is in.

I say "fired" because this wasn't the plan. Alabama didn't play great offense in the first playoff vs Washington, and Kiffin and Saban don't get along, so my guess is the two diva personalities just couldn't make it work for one more week.

Wow, I wonder who is spiting who here?

Saban looks like shit of they lose but can blame it on Kiffin. Kiffin can say - they couldn't with without me. Not sure who is served by this but the players might be the ones losing in this scenario.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The reports indicate Kiffin has been "elsewhere mentally". Late to meetings, late to media, not fully engaged during the walk through drills. Sabin doesn't have time for that shit, especially since Sark is waiting in the wings and has been active as the OC already.

Best part about all of this: it shows Kiffin hasn't learned shit from Tennesee/USC/Raider times.

Not be honest, if I was Kiffin I stay at Alabama for as long as I could. Win rings, dominate recruiting, AND his salary was more than he'll earn at FAU or UAF, or whatever that place is he is leaving for. Winning is fun...this is something people who win a lot forget. Just ask Lebron how much fun it was in Clevland after he left Miami (before he actually won). Winning is fun, and makes showing up everyday easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Earlier today, the College Game Day crew said Saban was "beside himself" after the Washington game b/c of how disorganized the offensive play calling was all game. Saban has his guy - Sarkisian. Sark was taking a bigger and bigger role. Saban finally had enough. He runs a tight ship and Kiffin was more a distraction than an asset.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Kiffin out for championship game [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Earlier today, the College Game Day crew said Saban was "beside himself" after the Washington game b/c of how disorganized the offensive play calling was all game. Saban has his guy - Sarkisian. Sark was taking a bigger and bigger role. Saban finally had enough. He runs a tight ship and Kiffin was more a distraction than an asset.

I am not a Saban fan but it is interesting how he has taken a chance on a couple of "projects" like Kiffin and Sark. Anyone else find it odd that Alabama's weakness seems to be in the QB dept? You'd think they would have a blue chip or 3 every year.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Kiffin out for championship game [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Their inability to recruit top tier QBs has been puzzling to me. However, 'Bama is known as a running team and has not featured the QB in the past. Thus, a blue chip player, looking to be showcased, has many more options.

I thought after Russell Wilson, Wisconsin would have better luck recruiting QB prospects. That has not been the case. Want to play O line in the NFL? Go to WI. RB? WI. TE? WI. But QB and WR have been lacking.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I thought after Russell Wilson, Wisconsin would have better luck recruiting QB prospects. That has not been the case.

Maybe you don't convince kids that you develop great quarterbacks when your line is: "We took in Russell Wilson for one year, which was his record setting 2011 college season, after the NC State football coach stupidly released his 2010 ACC leading quarterback."

Seriously, I'm happy Wilson, who graduated from my alma matter NC State, got to play another year. I think Tom O'Brien's decision regarding Wilson is among the dumbest things a coach has done. He was fired after the 2012 season.

Now to tie back to the OP, while I was at NC State, the head coach was Monte Kiffin, Lane's father. Very different personality from what I recall. I seem to remember that Monte's nickname was "The General." I haven't been able to confirm my recollection via the internet.

More related trivia. Russell Wilson's current head coach's wife baby sat Lane Kiffin while he (Pete Carroll) was assistant coach at Arkansas along with Monte (under Lou Holtz).

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Kiffin out for championship game [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
The reports indicate Kiffin has been "elsewhere mentally". Late to meetings, late to media, not fully engaged during the walk through drills. Sabin doesn't have time for that shit
If Kiffin couldn't stay focused, he ought to be told to pack his bags. Better to have done this a week or two ago, but no need to wait any longer.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Kiffin out for championship game [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:
I thought after Russell Wilson, Wisconsin would have better luck recruiting QB prospects. That has not been the case.

Maybe you don't convince kids that you develop great quarterbacks when your line is: "We took in Russell Wilson for one year, which was his record setting 2011 college season, after the NC State football coach stupidly released his 2010 ACC leading quarterback."

It isn't so much about developing QBs as it is about showcasing them. Without the exposure he got at WI, Wilson likely is not in the NFL. At WI, you are going to get 10 wins and a number of national exposure games.

Then again, here are 4 WI QBs in the NFL:

Russell Wilson
Joel Stave
Scott Tolzien
Tanner McEvoy

Formerly in the NFL:

Brooks Bollinger
Jim Sorgi

That's pretty remarkable given the fact that only really big name was Wilson. Sure, none of these, other than Wilson, were/are starters, but, they are (or were) on active rosters.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
JSA wrote:

I am not a Saban fan but it is interesting how he has taken a chance on a couple of "projects" like Kiffin and Sark. Anyone else find it odd that Alabama's weakness seems to be in the QB dept? You'd think they would have a blue chip or 3 every year.

I wouldn't call those two projects per se, they were/are rock star coordinators, they just had issues as head coaches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Lane Kiffin has been fired as OC for Alabama just before the championship. Pretty odd to fire your OC this late, even though Kiffen is already headed out the door. Big gamble to make that kind of change right before the big game.

kiffi fired and USC wins, what a great day

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Yes. Their inability to recruit top tier QBs has been puzzling to me. However, 'Bama is known as a running team and has not featured the QB in the past. Thus, a blue chip player, looking to be showcased, has many more options.

Each of the last 3-4 years Alabama has recruited either a top 5 pro style or dual threat qb. Right now they have a commitment from #1 dual threat for 2017.
Quote Reply
Re: Kiffin out for championship game [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
JSA wrote:

Each of the last 3-4 years Alabama has recruited either a top 5 pro style or dual threat qb. Right now they have a commitment from #1 dual threat for 2017.

That explains their success in the NFL ...

A quarterback from Alabama hasn’t started and won a regular-season NFL game since 1988.
You read that right.
No Jay Barker. No Greg McElroy. No Brodie Croyle. No AJ McCarron, who is stuck behind Andy Dalton in Cincinnati.

http://collegefootball.blog.ajc.com/...nfl-game-since-1988/

Quote Reply
Re: Kiffin out for championship game [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
slowguy wrote:

kiffi fired and USC wins, what a great day

Some of the stuff on twitter regarding the firing was great. This was my favorite.

https://twitter.com/...s/815983937197588482

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
JSA wrote:

Should this be in pink? Bama signs an Elite 11 QB every year. They had 3 Elite 11 QBs at the beginning of the year including the current starter Jalen Hurts and their 2016 recruit, Tua Tagovailoa, was the 2016 Elite 11 MVP.
Quote Reply