Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Denizens of the indoor gun range. [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:

5. The asswipe with a muzzlebrake on a 223.

This is why I don't shoot indoors. Also, about 60% of the people I see shoot indoors have no muzzle/trigger discipline.
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the indoor gun range. [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
owen. wrote:

This is why I don't shoot indoors. Also, about 60% of the people I see shoot indoors have no muzzle/trigger discipline.

Is that serious? I don't think it does a disservice to gun owners when something is exaggerated.

Do you have a RO at the indoor range? Most do where I am at and they aren't doing there job if your statement is accurate.

I've never encountered anything like that at a range with a RO or for that matter non RO. Though I do mostly go to an outdoor range with a good reputation. Present day members have to recommend new members which is not going to happen if you are not practicing good range etiquette.
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the indoor gun range. [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
eb wrote:
windywave wrote:
What is a muzzle brake and why is it bad to use?

Reduces recoil by diverting gases to the side and rear. Pisses off everyone but the shooter because those diverted gases are LOUD!

Why are they louder than the gasses just escaping through the muzzle regularly?

I'm not sure that it's actually louder but instead of the gasses and concusion/noise going straight down range, they are dispersed out the sides and/or top causing them to be closer too those around. I was spotting for a friend shooting a 308 with a muscle break that had about a 45 degree angle, the concusion from the gasses was enough to make me move out of that area.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the indoor gun range. [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
owen. wrote:

Is that serious? I don't think it does a disservice to gun owners when something is exaggerated.

Do you have a RO at the indoor range? Most do where I am at and they aren't doing there job if your statement is accurate.

I've never encountered anything like that at a range with a RO or for that matter non RO. Though I do mostly go to an outdoor range with a good reputation. Present day members have to recommend new members which is not going to happen if you are not practicing good range etiquette.

Man that's a good system (members recommending members). Yes, the indoor range had an RO. I'm not saying mine was representative of all indoor ranges... I hope it wasn't.
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the indoor gun range. [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
11. Idiots who think an indoor range is a place to shoot a rifle.

While I agree with your statement at 25 yards, I have an indoor range close to me with 100 yard rifle lanes.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
owen. wrote:

What specifically are you referring to in regards to muzzle/trigger discipline?

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the indoor gun range. [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
223 and 308 should be zeroed at 30 yards or meters for a battle zero. Keeps it within 4 inches rise or fall up to 300 about.

I'll zero at 25 in an indoor range and tweak at an outdoor range. But it keeps the wondage adjustment spot on. But I only do it in designated rifle areas. And only when I get a new rifle. Like I didn last week.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the indoor gun range. [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CruseVegas wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
owen. wrote:

??? military much.

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the indoor gun range. [raygovett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
raygovett wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
owen. wrote:

??? military much.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the indoor gun range. [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finger on trigger while not on target and sweeping everyone (themselves included). 101 stuff
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the indoor gun range. [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:

6. The asswipe who's AR is ejecting brass 10 bays over.

Well you know, they kick really really hard...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Finger on trigger while not on target and sweeping everyone (themselves included). 101 stuff

I've seen pictures and videos of swat guys doing that.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

Thanks, that was my first guess, but I don't know what I don't know. :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the indoor gun range. [wrmattil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wrmattil wrote:
Every Rifle I own, from .223 to .338LM, have Muzzle Brakes. I do not however, :) use them at an indoor range.

Using a Brake is a great help in target acquisition for any follow up shots.

LM - Lapua?

It seems like muzzle brakes are becoming popular even on lighter calibers. A guy I know picked up a 6.5CM Kimber; it has a muzzle brake. I was razzing him a little, but he says that it tightens up his groups substantially. He didn't think initially that he would use it, but now he leaves it on all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the indoor gun range. [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
wrmattil wrote:
Every Rifle I own, from .223 to .338LM, have Muzzle Brakes. I do not however, :) use them at an indoor range.

Using a Brake is a great help in target acquisition for any follow up shots.

LM - Lapua?

It seems like muzzle brakes are becoming popular even on lighter calibers. A guy I know picked up a 6.5CM Kimber; it has a muzzle brake. I was razzing him a little, but he says that it tightens up his groups substantially. He didn't think initially that he would use it, but now he leaves it on all the time.

LM is Lapua magnum.

Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the indoor gun range. [turtleherder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turtleherder wrote:
We have an indoor range owned by a women so it's very women friendly. In fact it's friendly to everyone. Not as much macho, Dick measuring crap. In my opinion we need more women range owners.

We finally had a range open in my area that is family friendly. Before this place opened up I had to take my wife somewhere that she said looked like a scene from CSI.
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the indoor gun range. [gotsand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gotsand wrote:

I cannot stand indoor, public ranges.

#truth.

I will drive over an hour and past too many to count indoor ranges and outdoor in the DFW area to a great outdoor range.
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the indoor gun range. [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never been to a gun range but HOLY SHIT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo-TOE-FVDc
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the indoor gun range. [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was with the whole class doing the full farah while spinning around? I guess what they were supposed to do was hold it at ready but that would be really dangerous.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, I'm glad for the ranges in my area. We don't have indoor only outdoor ranges.

$100 a year for a volunteer run range with no employees. 70% of the time I go the place is empty. At most I have seen three other people there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only been to an indoor gun range once with my 85 year old father. This was in Stuart Florida and the youngest person was about 70 besides me. I've never seen so many bullet holes in the ceiling and how bad some people shoot. Then you have the guy next to you with the 10 gun collection, laser sights, and a bunch of other crap that I wasn't even sure what it did, shoots a couple hundred dollars of ammo and still can't hit the target consistent.

We shot mostly the 22 (cheap ammo) a few rounds in the 38 revolver and a few rounds of the 9mm. I've grown up hunting and pretty good with a rifle or shotgun. I would say first time with pistols, I was a B. Fairly good groupings but a few strays from time to time and most of my groupings were a little southwest of center. Not sure what was causing this but with a little practice I think I could be pretty good. My dad's groupings were amazing for an old guy.

How the hell do you shoot the ceiling?
Last edited by: summitt: Dec 27, 16 12:45
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the indoor gun range. [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pistoleering is sort of a different animal than rifle or shotguns. In fact, it is much more difficult. Interestingly it is the most common hardware for most adult first time shooters.

Most of the time I shoot fast without keeping my eyes on sight, as I'm instinctive. Does that mean group on a 3 inch target at 15? No, but it means I'm close enough to score full points in competition at half the speed.

I once used to shoot with a Special Forces (Green Beret) sniper. He actually helped me refine some of my technique with long range rifle. That guy wasn't a pisolero as far as competitions go. He was only a marksman (one level above novice) in IDPA where I met him. I was just short of making expert in stock service pistol in my last classifier back in 2008. I was accused of sandbagging to stay sharpshooter. But man, if rifles were involved NRA Highpower, PR shooting, or even tac 3 gun, he could make up for it big time.

Quote Reply

Prev Next