Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Reliable Humidifiers...Do they actually exist?
Quote | Reply
Looking for a whole house type of humidifier that doesn't lick butt crack. It seems that most of them suck. I would love to get one that is reliable, which seems to be a problem these days for anything we buy as consumers.

EDIT: *We have a pellet stove and I am looking for a stand alone unit in the house to help...

I found this...
http://www.costco.com/...oduct.100312670.html

and maybe this...
https://www.essickair.com/ep9800-pedestal.html

both are available on amazon. I want something that will make the dry air disappear, and use a wick system so it doesn't leave a stupid film all over my house-we have soft water and the chemicals in the water leave a stupid film. I don't want to buy gallons of distilled water to use either.

Anything you have that you love?

Looking to spend less than $150 if I can.
Last edited by: littlefoot: Dec 20, 16 10:40
Quote Reply
Re: Reliable Humidifiers...Do they actually exist? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Skuttle steam based one works great. It's more than $150.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.rocketiaq.com/...nQgdECFUiBswodpbcAjg

I had something similar to this at previous home. Worked great. 15 + years I think I only needed service on it once. Little more involved then what you linked. It attaches to heating system.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For less than $150 you probably aren't going to find anything that is going to put out enough humidity for your whole house. Dry air is like candy to humidity. The humidity will go wherever the dry air is. You typically want to keep the RH in your house around 40% in the winter depending on outdoor temperatures. Colder it gets the lower you usually want it. A cheap humidifier usually can't keep up with the amount of humidity output you need. Steam humidifiers work the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at a Trion 707. After trying several different types over the years, and hating them all for one reason or another, I went looking for a permanent mount centrifugal style. We still use the portable centrifugal style that my parents bought when I was a baby - so it is going on 50 years old and still works fine.

I installed the Trion about a month ago and it has been perfect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My brother's previous house he bought an whole house humidifier that hooked up directly to distribute through the HVAC system. A waterline will be run specifically for this humidifier. He mentioned it cost him $500 but worked great and was a one time sunk cost (no having to buy a new one every so often).

Something to consider since you want to cover a lot of square footage.

If you do buy one of those standalone units I'd vote buying from Costco....their return/exchange policy is redonkulous. If it craps out then you return/exchange for a new one (or equivalent)....not matter how old it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We just replaced our HVAC and the vendor recommended an Aprilaire 800. $1,650 installed price.

I doubt you'll find what you want for $150.
Quote Reply
Re: Reliable Humidifiers...Do they actually exist? [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I probably should add (and I will edit after this) that we have a pellet stove (which we love!) and I therefore don't need to add one to our heater. I am looking for a standalone unit to provide moisture with our warm house.

Otherwise, I would agree that I won't find something to use for the house around $150.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
I probably should add (and I will edit after this) that we have a pellet stove (which we love!) and I therefore don't need to add one to our heater. I am looking for a standalone unit to provide moisture with our warm house.

Otherwise, I would agree that I won't find something to use for the house around $150.

Good to know.

PS we didn't add-on the humidifier.
Quote Reply
Re: Reliable Humidifiers...Do they actually exist? [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok...
I was more or less responding to previous responses, but you happened to be the last on the list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have steam heat so I can't add a humidifier to the system. The cold air humidifiers are a hassle to clean. I use a bunch of vaporizers.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply