Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Even more outboard questions
Quote | Reply
Is there a site that tells you what years a motor used the same parts?

So I have a dead 1981 Johnson outboard. Preferably I get a Johnson (I think Evenrude shared the same parts as well) from that time frame so I can still use the old engine for parts.

How can I find out that the Johnson from, say, 1979-1983 was essentially the same motor and used all the same parts?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Even more outboard questions [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have alot of free time...

epc.brp.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post this question on an fishing or boating forum.

Have you googled? Here is a start.

I'd be inclined to do the same thing as you propose, BUT, think you'd be better off shopping new engines and buying best value that comes up and selling current motor as parts unit.

You are not supposed to be eating breakfast with your son right now are you?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Even more outboard questions [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't need you idiots.

Looks like the lower end for sure was shared from 1980-83 and maybe beyond.

http://www.sterndrive.info/..._need_help_page.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I said shopping for "new engines" I meant new to you. Buy a used engine. I've found that if I have time, great deals on used equipment can be found by waiting and watching craigslist. Don't pin yourself in a corner looking for something that shares parts with you dead motor. You've got two months to look, eh?

I'm sorry for the misleading post. My dog wanted to be petted and that seemed more important than proofreading a reply to a guy with a small, broken Johnson.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

What horsepower?

Evinrude and Johnson are identical other than paint and decals, and occasionally the shape of the motor cowl. Back in the 70's the Evinrude hoods were more sculpted, the Johnson's were more squared off.

Evinrude/ Johnson Trained Tech, OMC Sterndrive Master Technician, former dealer, former OMC employee, blah, blah, blah.
Quote Reply
Re: Even more outboard questions [daleagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7.5hp. 1981 is what I have. Broken crankshaft that won't be getting repaired. Looking to buy a motor that uses the same parts so we can use the old motor parts if need be.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
7.5hp. 1981 is what I have. Broken crankshaft that won't be getting repaired. Looking to buy a motor that uses the same parts so we can use the old motor parts if need be.

That's a brilliant plan. What can go wrong with buying a 35 year old motor? After a few months, you'll have two parts motors - or one big anchor.

Jeez man! Quit looking at crap outboards and spend a little money to buy something that is reliable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
When I said shopping for "new engines" I meant new to you. Buy a used engine. I've found that if I have time, great deals on used equipment can be found by waiting and watching craigslist. Don't pin yourself in a corner looking for something that shares parts with you dead motor. You've got two months to look, eh?

I'm sorry for the misleading post. My dog wanted to be petted and that seemed more important than proofreading a reply to a guy with a small, broken Johnson.

This really deserves to be recognized as an excellent reply on this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Even more outboard questions [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
BLeP wrote:

That's a brilliant plan. What can go wrong with buying a 35 year old motor? After a few months, you'll have two parts motors - or one big anchor.

Jeez man! Quit looking at crap outboards and spend a little money to buy something that is reliable.

There are plenty of 30 year old motors that are reliable.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
BLeP wrote:

What fun is that?

Blep. Buy a book and rebuild the 81 Johnson. All the parts will probably fit on the kitchen table. Perfect winter project.
Last edited by: knewbike: Dec 14, 16 18:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IIRR the 6, 7.5, and 8hp engines in the range of mid-1980's through early to mid-90's are all basically interchangeable. The carb and intake is different on the 6 and the positions on the block might be slightly different. The 8 and the 7.5 are identical to and including the actual horsepower.

Super easy to work on. I'm pretty sure the crank is the same on any of them, but just buy one with a shelled lower unit and have at it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:

POTM!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
BLeP wrote:

SUCK IT!!! I just bought a Scott Outboard from the 1960s for $25!!

And it works!

SUCK IT LONG AND SUCK IT HARD!!!! (also just bought a used trolling motor to get me back to the dock when this POS from the 1960s fails on me).

Quote Reply