Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: A question about Gronk [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:
Is hanging them up at 31 actually early for a guy like Gronk though? He takes worse abuse than a running back does. He gets the same guys hitting him, just at higher speed and he has to worry about catching a ball and getting hit rather than just running. I would think 31 would be a ripe old age for him to retire given his position and style of play. Not really the same as a CB or WR who doesn't take the sort of middle of the field punishment that a guy like gronk does.
Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, Barry Sanders, all 30 or 31. Calvin Johnson at 30.

I think Gronk retiring at 30/31 would be early just weighing it against other HoF caliber players. But it'd be totally understandable if he continues to be hobbled by injuries. what made it shocking for those other guys is they were 16-games-a-year workhorses, still at their peaks. So maybe you're right, and given his injury history 30 or 31 would actually be a long career.
Quote Reply
Re: A question about Gronk [trimick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimick wrote:
I know nothing about Gronk's family life, but how does he live if he isn't spending any of his NFL money. Does he come from money?
Marketing deals. He still rakes in a few million in ad money every year. But he doesn't live flashy, doesn't have the expensive cars and mansions, he gets comped trips that he takes with his buddies but he's a pretty low-key dude given how insanely high-profile he actually seems.
Quote Reply
Re: A question about Gronk [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to NFL research, since 2010, Tom Brady’s passer rating is 20.1 points higher when Gronkowski is in the lineup. Over that span, Brady completes 8% more of his passes, throws for 33 more yards per game – but most important, the Patriots win more games when Gronk suits up. New England has gone 69-17 (.802) over that span with a healthy Gronkowski, compared with 12-5 (.706) when he misses games.
Quote Reply
Re: A question about Gronk [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
champy wrote:
There's a lot of value in Gronk, even though he's injured a lot.

Since he's come into the league 6 years ago, he's missed 18 games, but has the most receiving touchdowns out of every one else in that span.

He rarely fumbles (only 2 in his career of over 400 receptions), even though he gets pummeled.

And his Yds-after-catch is always at the top of the league.

And as others have mentioned, he's one of the best blocking TEs ever.

Where he becomes a hindrance is when his injuries become a question mark. I'm sure it affects the couches gameplans when they are not sure if he'll be in or not. But when he's in, big value. When he's clearly out, their gameplan is without concern.

Great info. I would have guessed he missed more than 18 games in 6 seasons - sure seems like more. They are saying now that he won't be back this season. He is now 27 and 28 by next season. Hoping to see him a few more years but I think it is unlikely.

More info:
This is Gronkowski’s third back surgery in his career. He has missed games in five seasons in a row, 21 total in his career. And even though he’s only 27 years old and has been the most dominant tight end in recent history, this setback casts doubt about whether Gronkowski can be a consistent, dependable and injury-free player.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
According to NFL research, since 2010, Tom Brady’s passer rating is 20.1 points higher when Gronkowski is in the lineup. Over that span, Brady completes 8% more of his passes, throws for 33 more yards per game – but most important, the Patriots win more games when Gronk suits up. New England has gone 69-17 (.802) over that span with a healthy Gronkowski, compared with 12-5 (.706) when he misses games.

Again though - flip JUST the Buffalo game at the end of 2014 from an L to a W and that 'without Gronk' number goes to 13-4 (.764). Brady played the first few series and was pretty awful - it was a super conservative gameplan, just get some work in and go home, win or lose.

I won't argue that Gronk doesn't make a big difference in the Pats offensive success but the Pats now have a solid fallback option in Bennett. That didn't exist before this season. I'm far more confident in this offense, as a whole, without Gronk than any season that he's been with the team, they actually have a running game and multiple pass-catchers out of the backfield, which helps negate the loss of a pass-catching TE. Hogan and Mitchell have been running a lot of seam routes that Gronk is known for.

He's a big loss, but those stats are based on fairly small samples and this team is built to do just fine without Gronk imo.
Quote Reply
Re: A question about Gronk [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:

Again though - flip JUST the Buffalo game at the end of 2014 from an L to a W and that 'without Gronk' number goes to 13-4 (.764). Brady played the first few series and was pretty awful - it was a super conservative gameplan, just get some work in and go home, win or lose.

I won't argue that Gronk doesn't make a big difference in the Pats offensive success but the Pats now have a solid fallback option in Bennett. That didn't exist before this season. I'm far more confident in this offense, as a whole, without Gronk than any season that he's been with the team, they actually have a running game and multiple pass-catchers out of the backfield, which helps negate the loss of a pass-catching TE. Hogan and Mitchell have been running a lot of seam routes that Gronk is known for.

He's a big loss, but those stats are based on fairly small samples and this team is built to do just fine without Gronk imo.

I hope you are right. I want to see another Super Bowl win for the Patriots!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:

I hope you are right. I want to see another Super Bowl win for the Patriots!

I saw these stats and they aren't really telling the whole story. Without Gronk, the Pats rely on their RB more, so passing yards drop. Also, the sample size without Gronk is small, and also included games with other key players missing. Would certainly not pass the test of a serious analysis of the data.
Quote Reply

Prev Next