Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

USB-C and car stuff
Quote | Reply
I have a Benz GLC 300. Comes with a couple of USB ports and with an iPhone it charges and plays music. However, with my pixel, music doesn't play. I'm guessing that's because the pixel uses USB C and there is some compatibility issues. Anyone has a way to work around this?
Quote Reply
Re: USB-C and car stuff [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't you just Bluetooth over the music?

Re: USB-C and car stuff [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He probably can but it will sound better through the USB cable.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: USB-C and car stuff [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep what Blep said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you sure it's a USB C thing and not a 'Pixel is not supported by your cars Entertainment system' thing?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know that iPhone works with the car, test a different Android phone.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tried with a nexus 6P. Same issue. Also using USB-C
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
I have a Benz GLC 300. Comes with a couple of USB ports and with an iPhone it charges and plays music. However, with my pixel, music doesn't play. I'm guessing that's because the pixel uses USB C and there is some compatibility issues. Anyone has a way to work around this?

Get an iPhone, problem solved.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: USB-C and car stuff [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got the pixel. I like it a lot better actually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did I really need to put that in pink?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
I just got the pixel. I like it a lot better actually.

Cars user manual doesn't give any instructions?

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:

USB C is the physical connector. If your car has the older USB ports, I assume you're using a USB - USB C cord? USB C is designed to support USB 3.1 ports with the corresponding physical structure, but it also supports 3.0 ports. If your car has an earlier version ports, that might be the issue.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Francois wrote:

Get an iPhone, problem solved.

The phone isn't the issue. He needs a new car. Get a BMW.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Did I really need to put that in pink?

I have a cold and feel like crap, so yes, it needed to be in pink. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quite possible that your car is not compatible with Android. A lot of cars worked with iPhone before any cars decided to integrate with Android as well. If you want to determine if it is a USB C issue or an OS issue I'd find a friend with an older Android and try it out. I am betting Benz made their stereo integrate with iPhone and not Android.
Quote Reply
Re: USB-C and car stuff [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:
Quite possible that your car is not compatible with Android. A lot of cars worked with iPhone before any cars decided to integrate with Android as well. If you want to determine if it is a USB C issue or an OS issue I'd find a friend with an older Android and try it out. I am betting Benz made their stereo integrate with iPhone and not Android.

I think he said he is able to use the phone over Bluetooth, so it's probably not iPhone vs Android.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: USB-C and car stuff [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It probably is actually. There are two competing auto-phone integration standards....

Airplay for Apple.
Android Auto for Android.

Mercedes uses Airplay in their current line up.

Bluetooth is an open standard and the car is simply acts as bluetooth headphone/headset so all phones work, even Moose lickin' Blackberries.
Quote Reply
Re: USB-C and car stuff [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
It probably is actually. There are two competing auto-phone integration standards....

Airplay for Apple.

Bluetooth is an open standard and the car is simply acts as bluetooth headphone/headset so all phones work, even Moose lickin' Blackberries.

And Airplay governs how the car handles iPhone data through a USB cable?

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you're right. This link doesn't list the GLC 300 as supporting Anroid Auto.

https://www.android.com/auto/mercedes-benz/

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. Airplay/Android Auto deal with authentication, file indexing and transfer (for stored music), or hifi audio transmission (streamed music, phone calls), plus notifications from SMS/FB/etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
owen. wrote:

Airplay for Apple.

And Airplay governs how the car handles iPhone data through a USB cable?

Yes, the car brain has to be able to read the file structure of the given phone OS. Which is why a lot of cars would have the USB plug in as well as a headphone jack for your MP3 player or android phone in this case.

As was posted, BT doesn't seem to care about OS, most phones will work with any BT device as long as they are using the current BT standard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
Yep. Airplay/Android Auto deal with authentication, file indexing and transfer (for stored music), or hifi audio transmission (streamed music, phone calls), plus notifications from SMS/FB/etc.

Well, then, based on that and the link I found, I agree, that's probably his problem. Not sure if Mercedes offers an upgrade to the stereo, or if you'd just have to go buy an aftermarket unit to get the functionality he wants.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:

Airplay for Apple.

Airplay or Carplay?
Quote Reply
Re: USB-C and car stuff [fierceSun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You knew what I meant.

Can we continue to mock the "renowned" computer scientist Dr. Francois Modave for confusing a Layer 1 problem with a Layer 5 problem now?
Quote Reply