Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Contractor or builder ? Base for basketball net
Quote | Reply
Tired of almost hitting the basketball net in my driveway I got motivated and dug out a spot for it. Finishing up tonight. I was originally going to just put stone down for the net to sit on. Then saw 1' x1' pavers that would fit and look a little nicer. But you'll only see about 6" on the perimeter so then I thought why bother unless it would be better to support the weight and stay level
Any suggestions

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Contractor or builder ? Base for basketball net [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Concrete. Just as cheap as gravel (prob cheaper) def cheaper than pavers and it will look good and be flat forever.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Re: Contractor or builder ? Base for basketball net [stal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never thought about concrete. That would look pretty good. That might be more then I want to get into but I'll see how it settles. The pacers I was going to use were cheap. It would've cost me about $12.
Ended up going with stone.

Thanks for the idea

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Last edited by: Leddy: Oct 24, 16 19:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dirt. You'll be surprised at how quickly the kids will be grown and gone and the b-ball thing has rusted and rotted and needs to be gone.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd probably just tamp down the dirt to compact it and set the goal on that. As the other poster said, you might not actually want this to be a permanent thing, and it's not as easy as people think to get pavers to sit and stay level under something like a basketball goal that moves around.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Contractor or builder ? Base for basketball net [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you and H. My first thought when I read concrete was that would look nice but I probably only need the space for 10 years or so. When I dug out the hill I did consider long term if the net goes I would potentially use it for trash cans. By that time I'd have to see how the wood held up. If it wasn't looking to good then I'd extend it off one side and build the whole thing out of stone to match the rest of the house.
I used stone instead of tamping the dirt back down for looks (all 6" you can see around the base) and to cover a weed barrier I put down.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:

You're going to have problems shooting baskets while laying on your side.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Contractor or builder ? Base for basketball net [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You're going to have problems shooting baskets while laying on your side

Could you elaborate on that ? I don't get it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:
You're going to have problems shooting baskets while laying on your side

Could you elaborate on that ? I don't get it.

the picture is sideways

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Contractor or builder ? Base for basketball net [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
the picture is sideways

It's not a straight on shot but you see in on your computer/phone as sideways ?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:
the picture is sideways

It's not a straight on shot but you see in on your computer/phone as sideways ?

Yep. On a laptop.

I miss YaHey
Last edited by: justgeorge: Oct 25, 16 7:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, that's weird. I see it correctly.
If that's the case it will make playing pig and horse and lot more challenging.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And get those yellow tags off of the timbers.

And are those sycamore leaves?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Contractor or builder ? Base for basketball net [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
And get those yellow tags off of the timbers.

And are those sycamore leaves?

Ha, I did that this morning.

I think so. Not the best at id'ing trees. They shed bark correct? I know there's oak and ash tree's. Then I think there's 3 or 4 sycamore.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sideways here too.

And it's a basketball goal, or hoop, not a net. Did you grow up in some soccer playing godless nation?
Quote Reply
Re: Contractor or builder ? Base for basketball net [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mr. mike wrote:
sideways here too.

And it's a basketball goal, or hoop, not a net. Did you grow up in some soccer playing godless nation?

It'a always been a basketball net in my neck of the woods. Never heard anyone call it a basketball goal. Hoop, yes. Goal? Never.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Contractor or builder ? Base for basketball net [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goal, or hoop

What are you a Hoosier ? Somewhere in the mid west, hayseed?

I've heard it called hoop and net, rarely goal. Goal I guess would be most accurate since the other two are components. But basketball was never really my sport. Not a soccer fan so to speak.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:
goal, or hoop

What are you a Hoosier ? Somewhere in the mid west, hayseed?

I've heard it called hoop and net, rarely goal. Goal I guess would be most accurate since the other two are components. But basketball was never really my sport. Not a soccer fan so to speak.

See one of the terrorists from Canada is taking your side. Proves my point.
Quote Reply