Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any musicians in central London?
Quote | Reply
OK, I'm posting here because this has me totally stumped.

I am a (new) grad student at the London School of Economics. One day a week I want to take cello lessons in central London. It's not too hard to book a practice room and meet the teacher at the room for the lesson. The hard part is what to do with my cello during the day when I'm in classes. I plan on bringing it in to LSE from home (which changes location every month - long story - I'm doing AirBNB and housesits around the city). I leave it at LSE or wherever for the day, pick it up around 6pm, and go to my lesson.

I have emailed the university (they say no to everything), the LSE Music Society several times (no response), checked out a recording studio near Kings Cross (it was rude, very rude. They don't cater to classical musicians). I have joined the London Cello Society, which has no idea. It says most of its members just bring their cellos to their office during the day. Music schools like the Royal Academy permit storage only for their students.

My last resort is to leave the cello at a left luggage place like Charing Cross or Victoria Station, but you can imagine how I feel about leaving something like that in a bus or train station. Any ideas for safe, one day storage in central London?
Quote Reply
Re: Any musicians in central London? [hyr00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you near Regent's Park? If so have you been in touch with Wigmore Hall? It's a smaller venue and you might be able to work out an arrangement.

You might also try calling Stringer's music shop -- they may have a good idea.

Can your teacher store it during the day?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you'll be alright leaving it at Char X

Left luggage
You can leave luggage at Excess Baggage on the concourse.
  • Monday to Sunday 07:00 - 23:00

You can prebook storage for your heavy, awkward or high-value luggage at one of our Rail Station Left Luggage facilities.
For more information visit Excess Baggage or call 020 7930 5444.
Quote Reply
Re: Any musicians in central London? [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Kiki! I called Wigmore and they were definitely a no. I understand their situation: who wants to start keeping expensive musical instruments in a room and eventually run the risk of one disappearing? I haven't tried Stringers yet, but I do have to go to Schotts today so I'll ask them if they have any ideas.

The teacher is nowhere near central London: I travel to her after class at LSE. So it wouldn't make a lot of sense for me to first go to her place, leave the cello, then come back to LSE. That's a lot of extra traveling. I asked her what she did, but she's never had this issue. She was either a student in a music school, so she had a place to keep the cello, or she owned a car.
Quote Reply
Re: Any musicians in central London? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I think leaving it at Charing Cross is what I'll end up doing. I just needed some reassurance from a Londoner that it was OK to do so! I'm just not familiar with the larger stations here so I don't know whether they're horribly sketchy like some in North America or pretty reliable.

There's an Access self storage outside of Kings Cross, but - I don't get this - you need to show a travel ticket if you want to leave something for just a day.

This is why I love Slowtwitch. There's no situation it can't handle!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Char x is only sketchy at 10pm onwards and only because everyone thats been out on the lash gets there

The rest of the time it has m and s and cafe nero
Quote Reply