Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lagavulin Islay 16 year old Single Malt Scotch [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a scotch drinker, but I think I am learning the rules.

Buy expensive scotch that tastes like death/dirt, but learn to tolerate = being manly
Buy cheap scotch that tastes fine the first time = being a pussy
Quote Reply
Re: Lagavulin Islay 16 year old Single Malt Scotch [re-fresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re-fresh wrote:

Buy expensive scotch that tastes like death/dirt, but learn to tolerate = being manly

Nope.

Buy scotch that you like. Manly.

Buy scotch that pretty much the entire scotch drinking world agrees is good quality, and then whine about it on an internet forum. Being a pussy.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Lagavulin Islay 16 year old Single Malt Scotch [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have some cold stones (I usually take mine neat), may try it to see if it makes a difference. Aberlour is my go to, Lagavulin I'll have a few times a year.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Lagavulin Islay 16 year old Single Malt Scotch [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
I have some cold stones (I usually take mine neat), may try it to see if it makes a difference. Aberlour is my go to, Lagavulin I'll have a few times a year.

The Aberlour 12 is a nice choice. The A'bunadh is also pretty good.

Nothing wrong with a good Speyside. That's my general choice as well. But a nice peaty bottle is good too. I'm more likely to grab those bottles in the winter. And there's nothing wrong with a little water. Most whisky experts will encourage you to try a whisky both with and without water, because the water opens up some aromas and flavors that can get lost in the bite from the alcohol.

Rather than trying the smoky stuff cold, you might just try it neat, but add some water (just a little tiny bit, not like half and half or anything). It can be amazing how different some bottles will taste with water added.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Lagavulin Islay 16 year old Single Malt Scotch [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When over doing the Dublin HIM we went to many distillers (duh), and some of their whiskey was made to HAVE water added. Said it was too much without. But we used a straw and added VERY little. Maybe an inch of water in the straw. Made all the difference. I started this with a few of my scotch offerings, and it worked. Really added to the flavor and took away some of the overbearing bite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip (and to SG also). Will try with a wee bit of water to experiment with.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
Did you dilute?

I only ask as I love me some good Scotch (more of a Laphroaigs man myself). But some of the heavy peaty ones are meant to add a little water. I know for some that is sacrilegious but for me that is sometimes the only way it's stomachable. Sometimes it's cold stones, and sometimes I have to add just ONE ice cube. Makes all the difference.

Toured the Penderyn distillery in Wales a few years ago and during the tasting session at the end, our guide showed us the difference a small (less than a teaspoon in a decent-sized glass of whiskey) made in opening up the flavour and taking away the alcohol "bite". He also mentioned a single ice cube for a similar effect.
You'll see small water jugs emblazoned with whiskey company logos behind the bar of almost all British/Irish pubs, for exactly this reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
re-fresh wrote:

Nope.

Buy scotch that you like. Manly.

Buy scotch that pretty much the entire scotch drinking world agrees is good quality, and then whine about it on an internet forum. Being a pussy.

Well then, thank god I don't own a god damned cent of this shit.
Quote Reply
Re: Lagavulin Islay 16 year old Single Malt Scotch [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FFS. Drink what you want. Complain about what you want.

Scotch in general sucks.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Lagavulin Islay 16 year old Single Malt Scotch [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm gonna mix this shit with diet pepsi next ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Lagavulin Islay 16 year old Single Malt Scotch [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have at it! Live your damn life!

lol.

But that sounds terrible. <shudder>

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Lagavulin Islay 16 year old Single Malt Scotch [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Have at it! Live your damn life!

lol.

But that sounds terrible. <shudder>

Shit it's been fun just watching these scotch drinkers defend drinking peat sifted whiskey. I think I'm going to get a 5 gallon bucket of 'skeg (muskeg to the uninitiated) and soak it with Windsor Canadian. Selling it to scotch fans will be like owning gold certificates. Set for life!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
it's been fun just watching these scotch drinkers defend drinking peat sifted whiskey.

They don't sift the whisky through peat. If you don't like it, don't drink it, but don't whine about it like a little girl. I'm sure there are some fruity cocktails that are more suitable for you.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
re-fresh wrote:

Yup, this observation - from what I've seen here is absolutely correct.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
re-fresh wrote:

Yup, this observation - from what I've seen here is absolutely correct.

You're tilting at windmills.

There have been countless discussions here in the LR on the virtues of all types of whiskey and whisky, from bourbon to rye to all varieties of Scotch. I don't think I've ever heard anyone called a pussy for liking easy-drinking Scotch.

You're getting called a pussy for whining like a girl. Not for your choice in drinks.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
re-fresh wrote:

I was at a wine tasting thingy with my wife and another couple on Friday. I enjoy wine enough to have a decent working knowledge of it, but I don't really buy in to the tasting game too much. I know what I like, what I don't, I would say I have an above average knowledge of Italian wines due to my heritage, but I don't sit there gargling it saying things like "essence of pumpernickel" while describing it.

Anyways, my buddy and I walked up to one table with a particularly abrasive sommelier. She told us to "taste these wines, tell me what you think about them, and I will tell you why you're wrong". The ones we liked, she told us were the more basic, cheaper, sweeter wines for those with "impatient, unrefined palates". The ones we didn't like, we were told, were the better, more complex wines that bring out the flavour of rich foods more". Essentially, she repeated what you just said above.

She may have had a point, but, I think she was generally full of shit. Sometimes bad wine (or scotch) is just bad.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Lagavulin Islay 16 year old Single Malt Scotch [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't drink very often, and any beer in my fridge is usually the leftovers from guests that visited during a recent holiday or long weekend. If I bring any of this "commercial" beer to a gathering with colleagues, I will always hear "don't drink that shit, just drink ours....it's way better" from the microbrew drinkers. And they won't/don't let up. They don't care what clothes or shoes I wear, what kind of vehicle I drive, etc. but have no problem berating my drink. Booze drinkers are weird :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Brian in MA wrote:

Nothing wrong with a good Speyside. That's my general choice as well. But a nice peaty bottle is good too. I'm more likely to grab those bottles in the winter. And there's nothing wrong with a little water. Most whisky experts will encourage you to try a whisky both with and without water, because the water opens up some aromas and flavors that can get lost in the bite from the alcohol.

Rather than trying the smoky stuff cold, you might just try it neat, but add some water (just a little tiny bit, not like half and half or anything). It can be amazing how different some bottles will taste with water added.

The other scotch thread put me in the mood for a glass tonight and I remembered this tip, added a little bit of water to my Lagavulin 16 and you are absolutely correct. Adds a nice smooth smokiness and softens the bite. Thanks again!

Quote Reply
Re: Lagavulin Islay 16 year old Single Malt Scotch [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Brian in MA wrote:

The other scotch thread put me in the mood for a glass tonight and I remembered this tip, added a little bit of water to my Lagavulin 16 and you are absolutely correct. Adds a nice smooth smokiness and softens the bite. Thanks again!

My pleasure. I'm always happy to encourage another person to find the best way for them to personally enjoy that sweet smoky nectar of the gods.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Lagavulin Islay 16 year old Single Malt Scotch [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The ones we didn't like, we were told, were the better, more complex wines that bring out the flavour of rich foods more...

That's called marketing, sell the high dollar items. Works wonders in triathlons too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Brian in MA wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Brian in MA wrote:

My pleasure. I'm always happy to encourage another person to find the best way for them to personally enjoy that sweet smoky nectar of the gods.

Last night's sweet nectar of the gods at chez wimsey was Bruichladdich 23 year old Black Art from 1990. Outstanding.
Quote Reply

Prev Next