Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: When, as a parent, does your taste in music start to suck? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My son, 25, listens to a lot of the EDM stuff. I really don't like much of it. I do listen to a large variety of music and typically have no problems with what they have on in their cars. I can sing along with them in most cases. On the other hand, my dad has always hated my music and is a huge country fan.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: When, as a parent, does your taste in music start to suck? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
Yep, these are real crowd pleasers amongst the 60'ish crowd ;-)

Here in this hopeless fucking hole we call L.A.
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
Any fucking time. Any fucking day.
Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay.

____

Part vampire
Part warrior
Carnivore and voyeur
Stare at the transmittal
Sing to the death rattle

I actually hear that song a lot here in Phoenix. I don't know whether we just hate Californians, want oceanfront property, or love the lead singer as a local boy.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: When, as a parent, does your taste in music start to suck? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

You get peer pressured out of rock. Nobody wants to listen to Tool at your backyard BBQ.

I have no idea who Tool or Limp Bizcuit are. My friends and I would listen to more late 60s/early 70s rock than anything else. It never goes out. My millennial nephew loves listening that era of music on a turntable. So there's still hope.

But not back then. My parents were having a backyard cookout (BBQ is food) with some of their friends over. Whiskey Sours and Tiki torches. It was around 1970 and my parents were wanting to be 70's cool so they were playing a few of my older brothers albums. Steppenwolf. Badfinger. Problem was they were playing the 33 1/3 rpm albums in 45 rpm. They had already lost their taste in music.
Quote Reply
Re: When, as a parent, does your taste in music start to suck? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
slowguy wrote:
JSA wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
When, as a parent, does your taste in music start to suck?

Well apparently yours started to suck early on, right about when you started listening to Limp Bizkit.

Why am I not surprised to learn you have same shitty taste in music as my old man ...

Seriously though, you didn't listen to Limp Bizkit when they came out?

Only whatever I heard when it came on the radio. Something about Durst's douchiness turned me off right from the start.

I can see that. I just remember thinking they were the greatest thing I had ever heard. Of course, in retrospect and with age and experience, you realize it isn't really "good" music, but there a still a few songs that grab me with the pulsating beat.
Limp bizkit lead guitarist had some of the best riffs ever Imo. "Break stuff" to this day still gets me head banging.
Quote Reply
Re: When, as a parent, does your taste in music start to suck? [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
last tri in 83 wrote:
Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

You get peer pressured out of rock. Nobody wants to listen to Tool at your backyard BBQ.

I have no idea who Tool or Limp Bizcuit are.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: When, as a parent, does your taste in music start to suck? [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Limp Bizkit, to me, sounded like taking Rage Against the Machine and Korn, mixing them together, removing all of the talent, and replacing attitude with douchiness.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: When, as a parent, does your taste in music start to suck? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Korn sucks to. They have some good song lyrics but everything else sucks. I can't normally think of Korb without Limp Bizkit since most people I knew who liked them liked both at the time.

Richard cheese's version of freak on a leash is better.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: When, as a parent, does your taste in music start to suck? [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to be into the hardcore and punk scene. I don't have any kids yet but am hoping to keep all of my hardcore and metal CDs. If they don't like mastodon by the time they're 16 I'm going to have to educate them. I was aldo into dance party scene at the same time, fave genre was prog. A lot of the indie music these days heartens back to the 80s and earlier, even the 60s. Tame Impalas Lonerism is heavily influenced by an album from the 70s and imo they are one of the most exciting indie bands out there. Currents is amazing.

I saw the Cure recently and their music could all have been made this year even their very early minimalist sounding stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: When, as a parent, does your taste in music start to suck? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Limp Bizkit, to me, sounded like taking Rage Against the Machine and Korn, mixing them together, removing all of the talent, and replacing attitude with douchiness.
As someone who admits to listening to all of them back in the late 90's, this rings true to me. Still love Rage though, special band. I've diverted mostly to country as of late and must say it's been such a welcomed change while cruising around or hanging at home, and seems more timeless where I'm not an aging metal fan or upper class white guy blasting hip hop. Funny as I dont think my dad ever started listening to a band I liked growing up, will be interesting to see if I follow those footsteps with my kids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:

Richard cheese's version of freak on a leash is better.

Every thing by Richard Cheese is better!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply

Prev Next