Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: More awesome forced diversity [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about a white White Chicks, er white Black Chicks? THAT would go over well.
White Norbit?

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The better tradition is found with Phantom and Flash.

That's fine, and you may very well like that idea better, but it's not the tradition of most superheroes, and it's certainly not the tradition of the superheroes who are being changed now.

Here is a review you wrote about Antman. You left out any angst that you might have had about the fact that Paul Rudd's character was recruited by Michael Douglass' character to wear the suit and be the new Antman. Further, there was discussion in the movie whether Evangeline Lilly should be the new Antman. People age and succession happens in the comics.

Quote:
Original in the 30s. This one will apparently be just a few years later, and she will apparently be a black woman military pilot, because there were a lot of those in the late 30s, early 40s.

As you said in your trailer thread: "It's comics." Seriously, were there a lot of rocket suits in the 30s and 40s?

So you are not being consistent with your supposed objection to succession and you suddenly have an objection to lack of realism in comics. What is your motivation? Time for Barry to step in and call you . . . .

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: More awesome forced diversity [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Here is a review you wrote about Antman. You left out any angst that you might have had about the fact that Paul Rudd's character was recruited by Michael Douglass' character to wear the suit and be the new Antman. Further, there was discussion in the movie whether Evangeline Lilly should be the new Antman. People age and succession happens in the comics.

I have no angst about that because it wasn't done to push an agenda, it was done for creative reasons. It gave them the opportunity to tie in Hank Pym to the birth of Shield, which would make him older, and it still allowed them to have a young Ant-Man be part of the Avengers, which is important because Ant Man was a founder of the Avengers. Lilly makes sense to become the Wasp, because that female character already exists. No need to make a female Ant Man.

Quote:
So you are not being consistent with your supposed objection to succession and you suddenly have an objection to lack of realism in comics. What is your motivation? Time for Barry to step in and call you . . . .

I'm not opposed to succession. I'm opposed to constructing a succession solely for the purpose of inserting a minority character so you can claim to have more diversity in your comics. Reality doesn't have to be consistent with comics, but stories still work best if they follow an internal logic. If the universe of Rocketeer included legions of black women in the military flying planes, then maybe it would make sense, but that's not the universe of the Rocketeer. They're constructing an anachronistic character, for the sole purpose of making a black female superhero movie.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My manager is big time into comics and is Filipino. I just asked him about this and he ranted for 10 minutes about how much he hates it when they change the characters like this.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And Scott Lang was actually Ant-Man in the comics, it wasn't like he was made up just for the movie,
Quote Reply

Prev Next