Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Live Life Now - Don't Wait for Retirement
Quote | Reply
It's Friday, and I don't know about everyone else, but I like to try and read a few articles on Friday that lift my spirits a bit. There is far too much stress in this world. This really helps ground me again.

John Rathwell is a photographer on a mission to document people who use outdoor adventure to bring happiness and balance to their lives. Hopefully everyone enjoys this article just as I have.

Searching for Sero
Quote Reply
Re: Live Life Now - Don't Wait for Retirement [champy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a nugget of truth there, but I think balance is the key. I'll be able to travel and experience more things in retirement but I try to take in some unique and interesting experiences for vacation with the family and the bike is always a part of this. I know a family member who sailed around the world and did some pretty non traditional things with his life but he is dead broke now in his 60s. You might say that he saw and experienced these things when he was in his best health to do it but I know he is miserable and terrified of his present situation.

I've heard the stories about the person who falls dead right when they retire. It happens and it sounds like a waste, but what value do you put on spending years knowing that you are sowing properly for your future? I would hate to fear the prospect of retirement of because I didn't plan, so it all comes back to a good balance. When I hear the "live life now" chant it often comes from people who are trying to justify their grasshopper lifestyle.
Quote Reply
Re: Live Life Now - Don't Wait for Retirement [dgran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I don't think the point of the article is to not prepare for the future, it's just to help remind people to make sure you are having fun sometimes. Too many people get too caught up in work and their daily routines. The protagonist in this article is someone who appears to have done a successful job at taking his fathers catering company into a very successful enterprise, but describes his escapes to nature.

This is the mission from the author, Searching for Sero.

"Searching for Sero is a mental wellness project created by professional photographer, John Rathwell and writer, Tracy Guenard. Sero being short for serotonin– the chemical believed to contribute to the feeling of happiness. The photo project will share the stories of people who are passionate about outdoor adventure as the key to happiness, well-being and balance in their lives. We call them Sero Stories!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Life is over rated....

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Live Life Now - Don't Wait for Retirement [dgran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"There is a nugget of truth there, but I think balance is the key."

Good post. It really is about balance. I've also seen people die shortly after retirement because they didn't know what to do with themselves and also seen other people live exciting lives but are broke when retirement comes. As for myself as being self employed, I made a choice fifteen years ago to only work three days a week and accepted the fact that it means I will be working longer into retirement, but the balance of life was there so I am happy about my choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Live Life Now - Don't Wait for Retirement [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:

Good post. It really is about balance. I've also seen people die shortly after retirement because they didn't know what to do with themselves and also seen other people live exciting lives but are broke when retirement comes. As for myself as being self employed, I made a choice fifteen years ago to only work three days a week and accepted the fact that it means I will be working longer into retirement, but the balance of life was there so I am happy about my choice.

Agree with this ^^^
One of these days I'll look up the history of the term "retirement" and when this became standard procedure. Im only 40 and people change but I dont believe retirement is somthing I ever want to do. Im also self employed and although in my first 8 years went balls to the wall, I made the choice for the past 13 to balance time to do most of the things I enjoy too. My line of work is more back than brains so there might be a career change as I get into my later years, but I dont think I will ever just stop working completly.
Quote Reply
Re: Live Life Now - Don't Wait for Retirement [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirt fighter wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

One of these days I'll look up the history of the term "retirement" and when this became standard procedure.

Bismark. 1881.

Before then you worked till you died. The corn doesn't pick itself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I left my career when I was 49 to bike around the world, volunteer at an orphanage and then live in a few other countries. I did it for 5 years and now am back at work in my career. At the time I left, I thought if I waited until 65 to do my bike tour, it might be too late so I took an early pre-retirement while healthy and now feel far more energetic and eager to work.

I think that if you don't build up an interest in travel and don't stay healthy and reasonably fit, you won't do it when you are 65, it gets harder and harder to leave your comfort zone. The same can be said for any hobby or activity. If you wait until 65 to develop a hobby or interest, there's a pretty good chance you won't do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Live Life Now - Don't Wait for Retirement [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
Life is over rated....

...until you die.
Quote Reply
Re: Live Life Now - Don't Wait for Retirement [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirt fighter wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

Agree with this ^^^
One of these days I'll look up the history of the term "retirement" and when this became standard procedure. Im only 40 and people change but I dont believe retirement is somthing I ever want to do. Im also self employed and although in my first 8 years went balls to the wall, I made the choice for the past 13 to balance time to do most of the things I enjoy too. My line of work is more back than brains so there might be a career change as I get into my later years, but I dont think I will ever just stop working completly.

I think that we should tax the shit out of people who love and live to work their jobs and careers, to subsidize those who want to slack off and enjoy life - this way everybody wins.
Quote Reply
Re: Live Life Now - Don't Wait for Retirement [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious - what do you do the other 4 days of the week?
Quote Reply
Re: Live Life Now - Don't Wait for Retirement [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<I think that we should tax the shit out of people who love and live to work their jobs and careers, to subsidize those who want to slack off and enjoy life - this way everybody wins.>>

When I was in high school we had this Nobel Prize winner come talk to our chemistry class. He spent most of his 30 minute talk (that was supposed to be about chemistry and the sciences generally) espousing this exact idea, and the rest of the time he talked about surfing. He was definitely a character.
Quote Reply
Re: Live Life Now - Don't Wait for Retirement [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I left my career when I was 49 to bike around the world, volunteer at an orphanage and then live in a few other countries. I did it for 5 years and now am back at work in my career. At the time I left, I thought if I waited until 65 to do my bike tour, it might be too late so I took an early pre-retirement while healthy and now feel far more energetic and eager to work.

I think that if you don't build up an interest in travel and don't stay healthy and reasonably fit, you won't do it when you are 65, it gets harder and harder to leave your comfort zone. The same can be said for any hobby or activity. If you wait until 65 to develop a hobby or interest, there's a pretty good chance you won't do it.
I agree.