Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Russian SKS...tell me everything...
Quote | Reply
Title says it all.

Met a dealer who's got a bunch (mid $700 range).

What should I know?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Russian SKS...tell me everything... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been 20 years since I looked at buying one of those. Can't believe the price. Doesn't make sense to me.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. My boss bought one for $250. Granted, it was quite a while ago, but... more accurate (at least in my hands) than the ak 47. Not as fun to shoot with the limited capacity his had. Bomb proof gun. It didnt jam, on me once. Fun gun. Just not sure its $700 fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love the SKS. As someone else mentioned, I've fired SKS's that were very accurate. I think a lot of the criticism for the SKS being sloppy with loose tolerances to be greatly exaggerated. They also get criticized for the lack of a detachable magazine. But reloading with stripper clips is plenty fast once you get the hang of it.

I also agree with the others that 700 bucks seems steep. I'd shop that around to see if that's really where the market is in your area. Either way, they're a cool part of gun history well worth owning IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
700 is 450 too expensive. Buy a milsurp Cosmo soaked one for $200 and spend a few hours cleaning her up. Just as good as your $700 buy I promise.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is not even remotely worth $700. Not even a little bit. That said, they are going for $800 on Gunbroker. Again, it is not worth that, so it boils down to how much you want it.

If it were me, I would pass and use the $700 to buy parts to build another AR.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geez I paid $300. It's Yugo made with a nasty bayonet!

Check the country of origin, I've heard the Chinese made guns are not too good.

Fun too shoot, pretty accurate with stock sights.

That gun is so heavy I can't imagine a soldier carrying it all day.

Is it stock or modified?

Last edited by: last tri in 83: Jul 23, 16 14:12
Quote Reply
Re: Russian SKS...tell me everything... [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So ok. $700 is too much.

They're all Russian made with bayonets.

I'll shop around more.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're fun guns. Junior will love it, they smell and sound great. Be sure to clean after immediately after range visit with corrosive ammo.

Even Cabela's in Canada sells for less than $300... thats like $14 yankee. http://www.cabelas.ca/...fle-w-laminate-stock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Google "SKS buying guide" and you'll quickly find some info.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bought a Russian model many years ago complete with the bayonet. I paid under $200 for it. I have an absolute grip of guns. When we go shooting the amount of guns and ammo we take is just stupid. However; it doesn't take long and I'm shooting the SKS only. I love that thing. It is so accurate with it's cheap iron sights that I can't believe it. I've never, ever cleaned it. I thought "what the heck, it was under $200, I'm going to shoot it till it dies." I still haven't cleaned it and it never jams and like I said I hit the 10 ring from any distance that I can see it from....even with the cheapest crap ammo you can find. I have a tricked out M4 with super expensive optics and I still revert to my SKS on range day. Yes, loading it is a pain in the rear, but in a year when I move to 'Merica from Cali I'm going to rectify that problem. $700 is too much, but watch the prices. I highly recommend a SKS. You will love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Russian SKS...tell me everything... [tritimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So check this out. On Saturday I saw these things at a local gun show.

The dude had 4 of them, Russian made with bayonets, selling from $725-$775.

Went back yesterday, Sunday, and he'd sold all four.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Fun gun, the wife and I have two. Yes, I agree $700 is too much.

I paid close to $700 for mine but mine is the 16" paratrooper model that is built to accept AK47 magazines rather than the standard SKS setup. Harder to find gun and commands a higher price.

We paid $350 for the standard SKS. It was brand new and covered in cosmoline, took a few hours to get it cleaned up. I bought a Tapco stock and Tapco 20 round duckbill magazines for this gun, the Tapco duckbill mags work fine, better than the metal duckbill mags.

My dad had an SKS when I was a kid, one of my favorite guns to shoot. Still one of my favorites, I have an AR, but the SKS is just as much fun and it is cheaper to shoot.
Quote Reply
Re: Russian SKS...tell me everything... [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Owen makes a great point here about Junior liking it. These things shoot like a .22 rifle. Another thing I like about them is that they are pretty rough. The wood isn't finished well, the safety is comedy, but that's what I like. You don't have to stress out about scratching them etc. If I were given the choice of two guns outa my collection to take into the zombie apocalypse, a hand gun and a rifle, it would by my SKS and my S&W M&P Pro in 9mm. Both shoot like pellet guns and would definitely get the job done. To make your collection complete, you gotta get a SKS! But $700! Dang! Guess the secret is out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
So check this out. On Saturday I saw these things at a local gun show.

The dude had 4 of them, Russian made with bayonets, selling from $725-$775.

Went back yesterday, Sunday, and he'd sold all four.

That's what I told you in my post. No, they are not worth $700, but they are selling for closer to $800. They are fun guns and people want them, so they are grossly over-paying for them.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Russian SKS...tell me everything... [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a regulation induced price inflation. These guns are as deadly as any AR-15, if I recall that was what the dallas shooter used. Yet are perfectly legal in the commie state of California (SKS in a California, how appropriate). So they are selling for more. Couple that with the fact a lot of online sellers will not transfer into California.

I suggest Duffy go onto gun broker and bid on one. I'm sure he can save a couple hundred on some dealer willing to transfer to California, if that is still legal.

I wonder how long before California bans these to.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Russian SKS...tell me everything... [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I can transfer from out of state through a CA dealer. Of course everybody is going to step on the bill at every turn.

So I just buy one here for $700. :)

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know how it works with California, but I've bought a few form gunbroker. You bid, you win, you arrange payment and an FFL of your choice. They contact the FFL for a copy of the license and shipping address. You pay the FFL in your state about 35 for the transaction. Done.

The cost of shipping and transfer is usually less than sales tax on more expensive guns. Are you saying that buying an SKS on gun broker for 400 max with 50 shipping an FFL will cost more than 700 plus tax? Wow, things are really screwed up there.

Here is what you need to do. Have a family member by one in a state they reside in and hand it over to you when they visit you. There are 100 ways to skin a cat to do a legitimate gun transfer, even more to skirt the system if you feel the laws are unjust.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on the new addition. I know others have said that's too much, but it is what it is. You did your due diligence.

I like the Russian SKS the best. The grenade launcher on the Yugo looks clunky to me, and the Chinese had some quality issues somebody else mentioned.
Quote Reply
Re: Russian SKS...tell me everything... [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
Congratulations on the new addition. I know others have said that's too much, but it is what it is. You did your due diligence.

I like the Russian SKS the best. The grenade launcher on the Yugo looks clunky to me, and the Chinese had some quality issues somebody else mentioned.

I didn't actually buy one, yet. I think shopping around will be a good thing.

I'll be traveling to NV and AZ next month and might just buy and have transferred to a dealer here.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool thx, I misunderstood. Let us know what you get, if you do. Would be interesting to see if you can buy a lot cheaper elsewhere and transfer.
Quote Reply