Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New versus Used Truck
Quote | Reply
Shortly, I will begin the process of purchasing my first pick-up truck. The delta between new and used (2-3 years Old/ 25,000-30,000 miles) is $14,000-$17,000. If this was a car, it would be a no brainer. However, some people use/ abuse the shit our of trucks in Maine -- snow plowing, forest industry, boats, campers, etc. so I'm seriously considering new. A friend had to replace a transmission of a used truck within a year of purchase with under 50,000 miles.

I'm 41 years old and this will be the 3rd vehicle I purchase for myself. Previous cars have lasted 12+ years and 200,000+ miles.
Quote Reply
Re: New versus Used Truck [Harry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy used.

If you're worried about the condition of the truck get a certified pre-owed Toyota.

If you want me to list the reasons I'll do it but this is really a no brainer.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went used for my first truck just earlier this year. If you're still considering what make/model here is the thread that covers the LRs suggestions on that.

Spoiler alert..it's overwhelming Toyota Tacoma.

I bought one with 103k miles and am loving it.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ring=tacoma#p5886295
Last edited by: Skipjack: Jul 22, 16 7:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

There are just as many people who buy a truck to go to the grocery store.

Don't buy a truck that has a "tuner", a gooseneck hitch, camper tie downs, or mounts for a plow. Also lift kit and big tires can indicate abuse in some situations.

There are plenty of trucks that are babied, just takes a while to find the right one. Took me 6 months to find my perfect truck, but I was very glad I stuck it out and found the right one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harry wrote:
Shortly, I will begin the process of purchasing my first pick-up truck. The delta between new and used (2-3 years Old/ 25,000-30,000 miles) is $14,000-$17,000. If this was a car, it would be a no brainer. However, some people use/ abuse the shit our of trucks in Maine -- snow plowing, forest industry, boats, campers, etc. so I'm seriously considering new. A friend had to replace a transmission of a used truck within a year of purchase with under 50,000 miles.

I'm 41 years old and this will be the 3rd vehicle I purchase for myself. Previous cars have lasted 12+ years and 200,000+ miles.

What brand or brands are you considering?
Quote Reply
Re: New versus Used Truck [MacCTD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm leaning toward an F-150 Super Crew but will test drive Tundra, Tacoma and Ridgeline
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used.

If your worried about abuse, come down to metro Boston, or seaside NH and buy the truck. Sure there are a lot of plow trucks here, but there are even more that never see anything worse than a curb at the mall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what you're saying is you want a city truck? Chances are fairly good any of those trucks used will be soccer mom mobiles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harry wrote:
I'm leaning toward an F-150 Super Crew but will test drive Tundra, Tacoma and Ridgeline

Probably get a newer lower mile F-150 than the other three, as the last three really hold their value and command premium used prices. What are you using the truck for? Big difference in capability between the 4 listed as well.
Quote Reply
Re: New versus Used Truck [MacCTD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the selling points of the F-150 versus others is ability to sit 3 people in front and 3 people in the backseat, meaning each kid can take a friend places or we can go out to dinner with grandparents and still take one vehicle. Primary use will be for convenience -- dump runs, mulch and loan by the scoop versus buying bags, 2 hour round trip to ski resorts in all weather, etc. I'll also be hauling a light camper that all four vehicles and even an SUV could tow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harry wrote:
One of the selling points of the F-150 versus others is ability to sit 3 people in front and 3 people in the backseat, meaning each kid can take a friend places or we can go out to dinner with grandparents and still take one vehicle. Primary use will be for convenience -- dump runs, mulch and loan by the scoop versus buying bags, 2 hour round trip to ski resorts in all weather, etc. I'll also be hauling a light camper that all four vehicles and even an SUV could tow.

I have had several Tacomas, a couple GM 1500 and a Dodge 3500, all have been 4X4s extended or crew cabs. I currently have a '10 Tundra crewmax 4X4, it can also seat 6, if you get the base model it seats 3 in the front, not sure if the current model offers that as well. I sought the model out I bought for the exact reason you mentioned.
Love the truck but hate the size of it, it is over 6 years old and only has 36k miles on it. Mileage isn't great around 16, but none of the Tacomas I had got over 20 so there is not a huge difference IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harry wrote:

I would stick with a real 1/2 pickup and stay away from the Tacoma and Ridgeline. Some people really love their Tacomas, but they are really only good for 2 people, even the four door versions. My buddy sold his Tundra to "downsize because he didn't need that much truck for him and his wife". He bought a 4 door Tacoma, that lasted exactly 18 months, they had a kid and now he just sold the Taco for another Tundra.

I personally have a 2006 Dodge Mega Cab, room for 6 adults very comfortably, plus tons of other stuff in the cab, plus the bed.

Check out the Dodge Crew Cab's. The current generation of Dodge has a very big back seat with the Crew Cab, even bigger with the Mega Cab.
Quote Reply