Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Martial arts and kids question
Quote | Reply
We have two daughters 6 and 10 who have been taking karate lessons for several years now. Long story short instructor is moving and we've been looking for a new place to train. They tried a karate class taught by a friend (it's not a mcdojo) and really enjoyed it. For something different, they also took a Muay Thai class from a more traditional MT gym and enjoyed it as well -- older girl is strong, kicks hard and loved it while our little one thought it was fun but hard.

We aren't paying for classes at both places (nor do we have time to train at both) so they have to pick one. Assuming the teaching at both places is competent, what are the LR's opinions on which may be a better long term choice or does it not matter for kids this young? Go with more "fun" and finish out black belts or the place that makes fighters? I think they would stick with either.
Quote Reply
Re: Martial arts and kids question [gotsand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't matter. Whichever one they enjoy more.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Martial arts and kids question [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I agree that in the big picture it does not matter. I was hoping a clear favorite would emerge by trying multiple classes. It backfired and they want to do both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Muay Thai is more real world applicable if that matters, especially for females where punches and kicks might not be enough.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a parent, you certainly have an impression on the situation. In your mind, what do you want to see happen? Do you want them to do it for the enjoyment and discipline, or do you want them to do it for true self defense? Neither is right or wrong, but you generally won't find both in the same experience.

My daughter takes taekwondo, and I'm under no delusion that she will be stopping every (if any) attack, short of a bullet. She enjoys the structure. It helps her build strength. It gives her confidence. Beyond that, our expectations are modest.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What GMAN said...

Be aware, though. Repeated blows to the head are bad, m'kay.

If you choose MT make sure the sparring is limited and as safe as possible.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The six year old might not care about the black belt (I have strong negative opinions of places that give kids full blown black belts) but the ten year old might. Just tell her she has to choose and go that way. Muay Thai is cool, and I wish I had more formal instruction in it, but like others have said, its all about the fun, structure, and discipline. At that age, the art doesn't really matter. Either one will lay a strong foundation for future learning (assuming good instruction, anyway).
Quote Reply
Re: Martial arts and kids question [triguy98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good thoughts from all. Much thanks.

I always thought kids black belts were just that and no one expects them translate to adult rankings. You're saying some hold them to be equal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes some of them do. My kid goes to what some people call a McDojo, they have a few kids who are 1st degree black belts at like age 10. They'll start them very early, the only rule is they have to be out of diapers so by the time they're 10 they've been doing it for 6 or 7 years. When they get to the point of being a higher rank then just a 1st degree black belt it becomes much harder to get those higher belts.

FWIW, my 6 year old likes it and has no aspirations to being the next Chuck Norris. I got him in there for the discipline and focus and self control which he needed I could care less about what belts he has.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scarily enough, there are plenty of dojos/ schools that do. I have seen 8 year old "black belts" and 13 year old 4th degree black belts. Ridiculous. They do some combos and perform some katas, all good. Not that they can actually apply what they have learned and defend themselves. My school had a separate black belt for kids- they could do all the intellectual stuff, but when they hit 12, they got bumped down to full red. From there each belt was a minimum one year. You couldn't pass unless you could not necessarily win, but hold your own in heavy contact sparring.

Before my instructor implemented those changes, and part of the reason he did, was because there were a few kids that started with him when they were 4, worked their way up to black belt. They had the moves, but whenever they sparred with me or another teen/ adult, they were all flash, but ineffective. He realized the error of his ways and changed it all up. Some schools are just all about the money and keep handing out belts, results be damned. It's sad. That's one of the reasons I stopped when my instructor moved. Couldn't find another school that was up to that standard. Freaking McDojos have been killing TKD and karate for a long time. Part of it is a reflection of our shifting culture. Parents and kids get mad when they don't actually qualify for a belt after x number of months, and pick up and leave. Never mind EARNING something. This has been going on for 20+ years.

I have been pretty lucky and all my schools I have been in for all the arts- even capoeira- had a performance standard. You have to win or hold your own against a higher rank.
Quote Reply
Re: Martial arts and kids question [triguy98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BJJ has a seperate belt system for kids and used colors not used by adults.

Even if a fifteen year old could beat the IBJJF Mundials absolute champ he would not get a BB. And at 16 that kid would start at blue.

There has been some lowering of standards over the years but competition is still a huge factor in belt promotions.

Generally, if you get a belt in BJJ it is well deserved.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Martial arts and kids question [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Judo and JJ/ BJJ definitely have some of the highest standards I have seen. I could never invest in it enough to get past green. I didn't mean to imply that beat a black belt got you a black belt. That would be a shame, because I would be wearing one undeserved belt (Judo). Just that was always part of the graduation requirement on top of time, practice, etc.
Quote Reply