Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: California takes first step in firearm confiscation... [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mopdahl wrote:
JSA wrote:
mopdahl wrote:
I'll skip past the personal insults & usual JSA insinuating other's positions

I'm not insinuating anything. I am pointing out what everyone knows to be true.

mopdahl wrote:
(I've never commented on Voter ID laws, and for the record, I don't hate the 2nd Amendment....but where in it does it give citizens the right to own whatever arms they like? (and we both know this is simply/eventually going to come down to a court's definition of what "infringe" is or isn't)), and go straight to your final statement: Therefore, I know that, deep inside that political hack brain of yours, you know damn good and well that these laws are not intended to stop mass shootings and other criminal activity and will do nothing to stop said contact. They are aimed at and will effect law abiding citizens. That's all.

Will these laws stop mass shootings? Not tomorrow. Not next year. Maybe not for 50 years. But eventually, given enough financial or penal disincentive, they may help.

No, it won't. You know it won't. Everyone knows it won't. But, that isn't the goal, so all is well.

Just like the goal of ObamaCare was never, ever to make healthcare affordable. Everyone knows that.

Again, you like to pick and choose which Constitutional Rights should be protected and which should not. You want voting without ID. You want due process hearings for enemy combatants. You want racial profiling outlawed. You pick and choose.

That's fine. That's your right to do. But it makes it really difficult to take you seriously.

Once we start giving up rights, any rights, then we need to be prepared to give them all up. Are you ready for that?

I was wrong on your insinuation of other people's positions. Your strategy is much simpler than that: you simply make shit up & then randomly assign it as your opponent's belief and argue against that rather than what has been stated. If you are going to do that, why don't you just look into the mirror and argue with yourself?

I'm 99.9% sure that I've never stated a position on any of the above "wants" you've assigned to me. But apparently in your mind, everyone knows them to be true. I'm not sure how to have an intelligent discussion with someone whose internal surety of belief is only eclipsed by their absolute disregard for factual evidence. Gurudriver has already filled that position here in the LR.

All I can go on is what you have posted. You haven't responded to a single question I have asked because you do not have a response. You came in here, took a shot at Duffy, missed miserably, and tried to change the subject.

So, let's see whether you have the ability to respond to my points or you just slink back under your rock.

I think we all know what you will do ...

Which is why no one here takes you seriously.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: California takes first step in firearm confiscation... [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did answer your questions on your first query. You simply didn't like the false equivalency point so you skipped over it & went straight to assigning every liberal position you could pull out of a hat onto me. You don't like, or don't want to acknowledge that regulation of guns is going to come down to the SC at some point having to define "infringe" (though they may not choose to do so).

Your latest question, "Once we start giving up rights, any rights, then we need to be prepared to give them all up. Are you ready for that?" is the usual tripe that gets trotted out by both sides whenever the other political party does something the other side doesn't like. Under Bush it was alleged abuses of the Patriot Act, the TSA, and warrantless wiretaps. Under Obama, well Obamacare and pretty much everything else. The slippery slope argument just doesn't hold water, much as both sides try and use it (with the latest failure being the opponents of SSM).

As I've repeatedly stated, I'm fine with the CA state gov't enacting restrictive laws on guns. If they violate the constitution in doing so the courts will eventually work it out. Or they won't, depending on your POV. Whether you view such decisions as a violation or loss of your rights depends on your POV. I'm still waiting for someone to show me where in the 2nd Amendment it gives everyone the right to own a tank/RPG/SAM etc......as all of those are technically "arms", as has been debated here in the LR ad nauseam.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: California takes first step in firearm confiscation... [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again you dodged the question(s). Go back. Re-read. Try again.

Or don't.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: California takes first step in firearm confiscation... [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you still beating your wife?

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dodge it is.

See, I do know you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And repeating third rate deposition tactics continues to be your forte as well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You lose.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting POV given that every political position & candidate I've backed/advocated for over the last 10+ years has won, while your track record when it comes to politics is almost Chainpinesque in it's level of failure. Go Scott Walker. At least you had the common sense not to back Trump this year once the Pube's clown car came to a stop.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yet you still are unable to respond to my simple questions. How plebeian of you ...

Quote Reply
Re: California takes first step in firearm confiscation... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I had my sister stay with us for a week while she was in between places

How would the city of SB know that your sister was staying with you? For a week? Or a year?

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: California takes first step in firearm confiscation... [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttocsmi wrote:
Quote:

How would the city of SB know that your sister was staying with you? For a week? Or a year?

Mail being forwarded to her. Seeing a vehicle with out-of-state plates outside. Word of mouth.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mopdahl wrote:
... I'm still waiting for someone to show me where in the 2nd Amendment it gives everyone the right to own a tank/RPG/SAM etc..........

Fundamental problem with your question here, and not just in relation to the 2nd amendment. -- The Amendments do not GIVE rights to people. Rather, our Bill or Rights recognizes that these rights already exist; the Amendments merely provide explicit reinforcement that the GOVERNMENT is not permitted to infringe on those rights.
Quote Reply
Re: California takes first step in firearm confiscation... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of my firearms are locked in a safe. That safe needs a key and a combination to open it. The key is kept in another safe that requires a combo. The combos to both safes are in my head.

Out of curiosity, why do you have guns? Do you use them for hunting or target practice?

A lot of people keep guns for protection against things like a break-in but if you need to access 2 safes to get at them, you would have to have a thief give about 5 minutes notice before he breaks in.

Quote Reply
Re: California takes first step in firearm confiscation... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
All of my firearms are locked in a safe. That safe needs a key and a combination to open it. The key is kept in another safe that requires a combo. The combos to both safes are in my head.

Out of curiosity, why do you have guns? Do you use them for hunting or target practice?

A lot of people keep guns for protection against things like a break-in but if you need to access 2 safes to get at them, you would have to have a thief give about 5 minutes notice before he breaks in.

I like to shoot.

Also there are 500 million guns on the hands of US citizens. I have a son. It is VERY LIKELY that he will find himself in the presence of a firearm (not mine) without me around. I want him to know what to do, how to safely handle a firearm and how to recognize safe and unsafe handling in others.

Lastly (and least importantly) my guns are also for my protection, but not from burglars.

The guys I'm protecting myself from will give me ample warning.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: California takes first step in firearm confiscation... [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttocsmi wrote:
Quote:

They're conducting fucking surveillance, dummy.

And before you call me paranoid, the city attorney in charge of STVR enforcement action TOLD US that they were investigating my sister's stay because "we saw her showing up at your house with suit cases and leave with suit cases two weeks later".

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
ttocsmi wrote:
Quote:

And before you call me paranoid, the city attorney in charge of STVR enforcement action TOLD US that they were investigating my sister's stay because "we saw her showing up at your house with suit cases and leave with suit cases two weeks later".

Well for someone who claims you haven't done a STVR in 18 months, you were actively soliciting stays here on ST a year ago.....it is none of my business, and I'd be beyond pissed too if I had invested in SB properties for STVR, but you are operating a business, and that business (as are most) has to comply with the various city, state and federal R&Rs, including in your case, zoning laws. Having owned a super-regulated (fed/state) business for 12 years, and now running a finco in an industry that is seriously under the microscope, in my experience fighting-the-man doesn't = profit, just pain. I hope those subpoenas don't come back to bite you in the ass, as apparently Airbnb, VRBO, etc are giving up the goods.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, sorry. We started our STVR in Jan of 2015 and ended it in November of that year. So it's 8 months.

Again, sorry.

I've been a little frazzled. Sending you a PM...

We have, from the beginning complied with everything.

Our very first action was to go to city hall and ask if we were even allowed to do it and they sent us straight to the FULL TIME person in charge of STVRs, who then set us up with our business license and TOT account. When we received the letter to stop accepting short terms, we stopped. Every renter we've had since has been over 30 days and we have signed rental agreements for all of them.

We've complied with everything and have documentation for anything that can be documented. We get the feeling that our compliance is actually an irritant. It seems like the city REALLY wants to catch us doing something wrong.

Yes, it was a business but this isn't an investment property. It's a duplex that we live in and the other unit was rented by the same person from 2007-14.

The best thing that could have happened would have been the city never sanctioning our STVR in the first place.

Btw, the city is being sued by some really deep pockets over this. The city fucked up big time.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

I suppose that was somewhat rhetorical, since I already figured that was the answer.

What kind of place do you live in where city employees surveille people's homes to see who come & who goes & for how long? Damn. That's messed up.

It sounds like borderline harassment to me. Has anyone gotten a restraining order or injunction against the STVR office? What if you told them to MYOB and fuck off?

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Last edited by: ttocsmi: Jul 7, 16 18:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ttocsmi wrote:
Duffy wrote:

I suppose that was somewhat rhetorical, since I already figured that was the answer.

What kind of place do you live in where city employees surveille people's homes to see who come & who goes & for how long? Damn. That's messed up.

It sounds like borderline harassment to me. Has anyone gotten a restraining order or injunction against the STVR office? What if you told them to MYOB and fuck off?

I'm dealing with this in my own way. I play the long game.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.vetogunmageddon.org/petition-locator/

There is a petition to get these items on the ballot.

To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Reach high, think big, work hard, have fun.
Quote Reply
Re: California takes first step in firearm confiscation... [Number2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like the petitioning failed.
This makes me sad.

To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Reach high, think big, work hard, have fun.
Quote Reply
Re: California takes first step in firearm confiscation... [Number2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heard about that. Hopefully California serves as an object lesson on how giving an inch gives up a mile. There can be no compromise on gun rights on a national level. Period. This is why I will never vote a democrat again until their view on gun control changes.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply

Prev Next