Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

White guy gets 6 months, brown guy gets 3 years
Quote | Reply
http://www.independent.co.uk/...ntence-a7110586.html

Brock turners judge! Is there something missing here? Did this article leave out some mitigating factors or is this another case of racial disparity in the courts?

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: White guy gets 6 months, brown guy gets 3 years [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brown guy couldn't swim fast.
Quote Reply
Re: White guy gets 6 months, brown guy gets 3 years [Goobdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goobdog wrote:

Is this one of the few things we may agree on?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Better lawyer. Seriously, assuming all things consistent, that very well could be the case. Doesn't make it right or wrong, but certainly not racial bias. I think most people scratched their head at minimum on Brock Turner's verdict. But here are some things to note.

1. This guy is in his thirties.
2. This guy is an immigrant.
3. He likely doesn't have the money to afford a well politically connected lawyer.

Outside of recent scandal and outrage, rightfully stirred up by the media, I think you would be hard pressed to prove this guy showed any bias. I guarantee this happens daily (not to this disparity), and nothing happens.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe Ramirez was still able to eat rib eye steaks.

I'm still waiting for some report to come out that shows that the swimmer's father and the judge had a mutual friend. I don't think this is white vs brown as much as it is rich kid vs everyone else.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Goobdog wrote:

Is this one of the few things we may agree on?

The swimmer sounds like a total ass but there are so many holes in the reported story it's really hard to understand the facts.

Unfortunately, there are so many cases of hard core criminals getting let out of prison way too soon only to commit violent crimes I can't isolate this single instance to be outraged.

Life under President GoobDog would be significantly different for all criminals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like the difference is due to the law in California requiring a harsher sentence when the victim is conscious compared with one unconscious. Right or wrong, if the judge applied that law, it can't be a bias.

They seemed to be looking pretty closely at Persky's record, having reviewed 20 criminal cases without evidence of racial bias.
Last edited by: Sanuk: Jun 30, 16 9:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/stanford-rape-case-judge-aaron-persky-brock-turner-latino-man-sentence-a7110586.html

Brock turners judge! Is there something missing here? Did this article leave out some mitigating factors or is this another case of racial disparity in the courts?

Well, we do know one about these cases--the woman were asking for it.

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Re: White guy gets 6 months, brown guy gets 3 years [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Better lawyer. Seriously, assuming all things consistent, that very well could be the case. Doesn't make it right or wrong, but certainly not racial bias. I think most people scratched their head at minimum on Brock Turner's verdict. But here are some things to note.

1. This guy is in his thirties.
2. This guy is an immigrant.
3. He likely doesn't have the money to afford a well politically connected lawyer.

Outside of recent scandal and outrage, rightfully stirred up by the media, I think you would be hard pressed to prove this guy showed any bias. I guarantee this happens daily (not to this disparity), and nothing happens.

Income disparity is also a huge factor in court outcomes. I know this from experience.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/stanford-rape-case-judge-aaron-persky-brock-turner-latino-man-sentence-a7110586.html

Did you read the article you linked or did you just see the headline and jump to your predetermined conclusion?

Your article states they went through 20 past cases and found no racial bias.

Your article states there are different sentencing rules for a conscious victim vs. unconscious.

Your article states Ramirez pleaded guilty which means he gets 3 years min by state law.

Your article states he has not even been sentenced yet but "will get 3 years".

Your article says the judge refused to negotiate with Ramirez on sentencing. Typically the negotiating on a guilty plea case is done with the prosecutor. If the prosecutor was in agreement with a lesser sentence they would have agreed to amend the charge to something that didn't carry a min 3 year sentence on a guilty plea.

Nothing to be outraged over here. If you don't like CA's rules on minimum sentencing then take it up with the legislature.
Quote Reply
Re: White guy gets 6 months, brown guy gets 3 years [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still waiting for some report to come out that shows that the swimmer's father and the judge had a mutual friend. I don't think this is white vs brown as much as it is rich kid vs everyone else.

Even the article suggests that it is the Stanford case that is the anomaly, not the latter one. It does seem to be more rich/poor.

Quote Reply
Re: White guy gets 6 months, brown guy gets 3 years [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Did you read the article you linked or did you just see the headline and jump to your predetermined conclusion?

I read the article and asked a question. I didnt jump to a conclusion. Did you read my words or did you jump to conclusions?

Quote Reply
Re: White guy gets 6 months, brown guy gets 3 years [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Even the article suggests that it is the Stanford case that is the anomaly, not the latter one. It does seem to be more rich/poor.

I agree, racial bias certainly exists in our judicial sentencing but so does income bias. I have no idea which is more prevelant.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Quote:

I read the article and asked a question. I didnt jump to a conclusion. Did you read my words or did you jump to conclusions?

Right, sorry Barry. Your title clearly was just stating facts and not attempting to imply racism in any fashion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

From what I can tell Turner was raping an unconscious women and Ramirez was raping a conscious one. Furthermore I believe Turner did not plead guilty and Ramirez did.

Laying the law aside and looking merely at the act seems to me that raping a person who is conscious and fighting back is a more violent and aggressive attack then raping someone who is unconscious. I suspect that the two conditions listed above are the reasons for the difference in sentencing.

But Gary Goodman, a supervising attorney for the Santa Clara County public defender’s office pointed out that the law in California carries more punitive weight in cases of sexual assault of a conscious person in comparison to unconscious victims.

Also in the article

A review of 20 criminal cases handled by Mr Persky, carried out by the Press Association, concluded racial biases were not evident in the judge’s decisions.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's hard to say. The article was pretty vague about the details of the rape Ramirez committed.

I think this pretty well covers it, though:

“What’s happened with Mr Ramirez is standard,” said Alexander Cross, an attorney who briefly represented Ramirez. “The anomaly is the Stanford case.”

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Quote:

Right, sorry Barry. Your title clearly was just stating facts and not attempting to imply racism in any fashion.

I asked legitimate questions and acdepted the answers you fucking twat waffle. What the hell is your problem? I agree with your stance and youre giving me shit for asking a question. What kind of fuck nuttery is going on in your brain where you feel compelled to shit on someone who asks a question, receives and accepts an answer that YOU ALSO AGREE WITH, and you cant leave well enough alone? Seriously man, thats some world class dipshittery.

Last edited by: veganerd: Jun 30, 16 9:40
Quote Reply
Re: White guy gets 6 months, brown guy gets 3 years [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
It's hard to say. The article was pretty vague about the details of the rape Ramirez committed.

I think this pretty well covers it, though:

“What’s happened with Mr Ramirez is standard,” said Alexander Cross, an attorney who briefly represented Ramirez. “The anomaly is the Stanford case.”

It seems almost everyone is in agreement that the stanford case is the big problem.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

I agree, racial bias certainly exists in our judicial sentencing but so does income bias. I have no idea which is more prevelant.

I tend to think people are more biased against income than race. Blacks and other minorities that move up tend to have a lot more white friends and these white friends less color conscious to them. You can argue that with income comes all sorts of other idiosyncrasies that mitigate racial bias, but I still think a lot of issues that are called "racism" are actually plain ol fashioned class elitism. Here are some things to note.

Blacks who are better off tend to:
1. Not view themselves as victims.
2. Speak the same way white people do.
3. Dress the same.
4. Be more socially and economically conservative.
5. More prevalent in their children's lives and active as a family in the community.
6. Better educated.

All of these things in my opinion have more to do with income than race because income makes it easier for minorities to meet all these criteria.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
It seems almost everyone is in agreement that the stanford case is the big problem.

Yep. The rich boy got a (ridiculous and unjustifiable) break. But, Ramirez got the "right" sentence.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Are you being serious?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The latino guy probably got what he deserved. The issue is still that the Brock Whatever-his-name-is got off light. Nobody is happy with that other than his family.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:

Um... make it 3 months...

http://www.rollingstone.com/...ood-behavior-w436997

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply