Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Getting back into golf [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome! I might take you up on that even though I already know that the best thing for my game is a shovel to the back of my head just before I swing!
Quote Reply
Re: Getting back into golf [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My favorite exercise on the range is to try and hit the dude/dudette driving the ball collection machine. It takes anticipation, accuracy, and the right club selection. And it's a lot of fun to nail them with a driver - that's the holy grail.

SkipG wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
SkipG wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
Send me a video if you want. I spent some time with some pretty good instructors and used to be sort of good :)
not sure about a video. In my mind I feel like I look like Rory Mcilroy when I swing, I would hate to actually see what it actually looks like. We do have a really golf program here in my neighborhood, I'll probably sign up for some lessons.

I wouldn't. 95% of coaches suck. True story: Charles Barkley used to be an 8 handicap (while he was playing in the NBA no less) until he took a single lesson from a well-regarded coach at Pinehurst.
Im still striking the ball much better since I changed my grip. Spending some time at the range. I'm hitting a lot more good shots than bad and even when I don't make good contact the ball is still usually headed in the right direction now.

Have yet to have the opportunity to go out and play a round to see if what I've been doing on the range. Give me some pointers on how I should be practicing on the range rather than just going and trying to hit some balls at the flags scattered on the range?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
SkipG wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
SkipG wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
Send me a video if you want. I spent some time with some pretty good instructors and used to be sort of good :)
not sure about a video. In my mind I feel like I look like Rory Mcilroy when I swing, I would hate to actually see what it actually looks like. We do have a really golf program here in my neighborhood, I'll probably sign up for some lessons.

I wouldn't. 95% of coaches suck. True story: Charles Barkley used to be an 8 handicap (while he was playing in the NBA no less) until he took a single lesson from a well-regarded coach at Pinehurst.
Im still striking the ball much better since I changed my grip. Spending some time at the range. I'm hitting a lot more good shots than bad and even when I don't make good contact the ball is still usually headed in the right direction now.

Have yet to have the opportunity to go out and play a round to see if what I've been doing on the range. Give me some pointers on how I should be practicing on the range rather than just going and trying to hit some balls at the flags scattered on the range?

I'd try to practice more like you play. People often get lulled into the notion they're hitting the ball well on the range when they make reasonably solid contact and see a certain general shape to their ball flight but then they're confused when they get out on the course and can't hit the fairway or the green.

The first thing I'd do is that, unless you're working on something mechanically, don't hit the same club to the same target too many times in a row. To keep it simple, pull out your driver, a 7-iron, and your sand wedge. You're going to play a game called "two in a row". Pick a specific target with your driver: it can be an area between two bunkers, two trees, two telephone poles... whatever. It just has to be specific. Hit two drives and try to land both balls in that area. Keep hitting balls until you do. Now pull out your 7-iron. Pick a more specific target. It could be a green or, if the greens on the range are huge, an area between the pin and an edge of the green. Bunkers also make good targets. Try to hit two balls in a row and land it on/in your target. Do the same thing with your sand wedge. Now repeat. See how many times in a row you can make it through all three clubs without error. It might be tough to do with the driver depending on the size of your range but with your 7-iron and wedge try to vary the direction of the target. If your driver's target is on the right side of the range make your 7-iron target be on the left side of the range. The point is to keep practice dynamic so you don't subconsciously become dependent on visual cues around you (the bucket of balls, your bag, etc) for aim and target awareness.

Beginner: keep hitting each club until you get two in a row and then move on.
Advanced: if you mess up with one club you have to go back to the prior club. E.g. if you mess up with your 7-iron you have to go back to your driver.

We used to set goals like making it through six times in a row and stay on the range until we had done that. The next day we'd come back and try to make it through seven times. I once saw someone go through driver, 4-iron, 8-iron, sand wedge fourteen times to very tight targets.

Keep in mind this is how you practice shot making. This is not how you work on your mechanics. If there's something specific you're trying to work on mechanically there's a different progression which I'll try to summarize: first you hit balls into a net until you can do what you want to mechanically consistently. Then you go to the range and alternate between two clubs hitting about ten shots in a row per club (maybe more, maybe less) until you can consistently do what you want to mechanically while hitting balls with an acceptable ball flight. Once you can do that you transition to practicing your shot making. If you fail there you step back. If you fail there you step back to hitting into the net. I'm sure you get it.
love the sound of this, I'll give it a go next time I go out. I'll try to get a video to you at some point and maybe you can tell me WTF I'm screwing up on. You still playing much?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last time I played was January. I'm supposed to play tomorrow but something tells me I'll come up with an excuse not to, haha. I think it's hard to enjoy something you used to be good at when you're naturally competitive. Plus I'm not nearly as flexible as I used to be so every backswing hurts lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting back into golf [triathlung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my mind when I swing I feel like I look like Rory. It's gonna suck when I record myself and see what a fool I actually look like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Last time I played was January. I'm supposed to play tomorrow but something tells me I'll come up with an excuse not to, haha. I think it's hard to enjoy something you used to be good at when you're naturally competitive. Plus I'm not nearly as flexible as I used to be so every backswing hurts lol.
Ah hell go out and play.

My flexibility went to shit after two back surgeries. I do what I can though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I should pass on this to fix my swing?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most definitely.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
SkipG wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
SkipG wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

I'd try to practice more like you play. People often get lulled into the notion they're hitting the ball well on the range when they make reasonably solid contact and see a certain general shape to their ball flight but then they're confused when they get out on the course and can't hit the fairway or the green.

The first thing I'd do is that, unless you're working on something mechanically, don't hit the same club to the same target too many times in a row. To keep it simple, pull out your driver, a 7-iron, and your sand wedge. You're going to play a game called "two in a row". Pick a specific target with your driver: it can be an area between two bunkers, two trees, two telephone poles... whatever. It just has to be specific. Hit two drives and try to land both balls in that area. Keep hitting balls until you do. Now pull out your 7-iron. Pick a more specific target. It could be a green or, if the greens on the range are huge, an area between the pin and an edge of the green. Bunkers also make good targets. Try to hit two balls in a row and land it on/in your target. Do the same thing with your sand wedge. Now repeat. See how many times in a row you can make it through all three clubs without error. It might be tough to do with the driver depending on the size of your range but with your 7-iron and wedge try to vary the direction of the target. If your driver's target is on the right side of the range make your 7-iron target be on the left side of the range. The point is to keep practice dynamic so you don't subconsciously become dependent on visual cues around you (the bucket of balls, your bag, etc) for aim and target awareness.

Beginner: keep hitting each club until you get two in a row and then move on.
Advanced: if you mess up with one club you have to go back to the prior club. E.g. if you mess up with your 7-iron you have to go back to your driver.

We used to set goals like making it through six times in a row and stay on the range until we had done that. The next day we'd come back and try to make it through seven times. I once saw someone go through driver, 4-iron, 8-iron, sand wedge fourteen times to very tight targets.

Keep in mind this is how you practice shot making. This is not how you work on your mechanics. If there's something specific you're trying to work on mechanically there's a different progression which I'll try to summarize: first you hit balls into a net until you can do what you want to mechanically consistently. Then you go to the range and alternate between two clubs hitting about ten shots in a row per club (maybe more, maybe less) until you can consistently do what you want to mechanically while hitting balls with an acceptable ball flight. Once you can do that you transition to practicing your shot making. If you fail there you step back. If you fail there you step back to hitting into the net. I'm sure you get it.
Tried this practice session out for the first time yesterday on the range. Shit it's harder than it sounds, spent about 30 minutes with a wedge, 7 iron and driver like you outlined. In the 30 minutes I only made it through all three clubs one time. Frustrating but a great way to shake up what I've been doing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's not bad. Most people take a couple of practice sessions before they finally make it through. It's deceptively hard. Your target size choice also impacts difficulty.

Stick with it. This type of practice will carry over to the course much better than mindlessly pounding balls out into a field.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
That's not bad. Most people take a couple of practice sessions before they finally make it through. It's deceptively hard. Your target size choice also impacts difficulty.

Stick with it. This type of practice will carry over to the course much better than mindlessly pounding balls out into a field.
my targets were on the generous side is size. Anywhere on the green around the flags and for driver it was anywhere inbetween the two farthest flags at the end of the range. Probably 30-40 yards apart or so. Really enjoyed the challenge of it. Headed out again later after work.

Did you play the other day?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

my targets were on the generous side is size. Anywhere on the green around the flags and for driver it was anywhere inbetween the two farthest flags at the end of the range. Probably 30-40 yards apart or so. Really enjoyed the challenge of it. Headed out again later after work.

Yeah I did. My back is not happy with me, lol. Managed to shoot three under on the front just playing conservative on a short course and putting well but once my back started to tighten up on me I folded. Ended up two over. I'll give it another go next year lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
SkipG wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Yeah I did. My back is not happy with me, lol. Managed to shoot three under on the front just playing conservative on a short course and putting well but once my back started to tighten up on me I folded. Ended up two over. I'll give it another go next year lol.
Three under on the front after not playing for a year...that's just wrong!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Played 9 today. Was spraying them so bad I used a 3 hybrid off the tee. 50 yards less but at least they went straight.

Re: Getting back into golf [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't hit driver for shit! I would drop several shots if I would just leave that thing in the bag.

I'm going to try to head out Monday
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Progress has been slow, have only played 4 times this year. Played a round couple days back and the front nine was probably the worst I have ever played think I three putted all but one hole ended up with 60 on the front. The back 9 was a different story, I had my shit together. I ended up with 43 on the back. Had 4 pars in a row and sunk a 45 ft putt for birdie on 18! (Lucky)
Only hole on the back that gave me trouble was a par 3, you have to carry the water to get to the green. I was about 1 ft shy and in the water, had 6 on that hole. Best I have ever played, if I could just erase the front 9.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just started playing again. Haven't played consistently in 10 yrs. haven't touched a club in 2. Joined the club across the street from where we moved so II go and walk 4-5 holes once or twice a week. Been playing each hole then chipping and putting every hole when done.

It's been fun

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Getting back into golf [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really wish I could make time to play more. The game is frustrating but also relaxing at the same time. Trying to make time Friday, I hope I can pick up right where I left off the other day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need a new driver. What are all the cool kids using these days?

Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
I need a new driver. What are all the cool kids using these days?
not sure about the cool kids but I have a buddy that works for a local golf company and he gave me a new ping g30.

Maybe I am cool...no one gives you a new driver unless you are cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been reading about that g30. Sounds perfect for me. I'm getting one.

Quote | Reply
I've been playing a lot this year. Used to be pretty accurate with irons inside 160 - 170 and be scattershot long off the tee. Now I'm getting off the tee well but missing greens all over the place. I think this is more frustrating.

Still putting half assed.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have given up torturing myself.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Getting back into golf [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
I've been playing a lot this year. Used to be pretty accurate with irons inside 160 - 170 and be scattershot long off the tee. Now I'm getting off the tee well but missing greens all over the place. I think this is more frustrating.

Still putting half assed.
It's all frustrating at this point. I used to play 2-3 times a week. Bailed on the CC I belonged to, decade went by and now I'm playing again. Not hitting the ball horrible but I don't have confidence knowing when I step up to ball I'm going to hit it on the number.
Playing 18 hopefully on the 4th for first time in years.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply

Prev Next