Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: People who drive off with the gasoline nozzle still in their car.... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$$$$$$ talks.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by SS88 [ In reply to ]
Re: People who drive off with the gasoline nozzle still in their car.... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. The manufacturer's make a killing and it's coming out of the pocket of everyone buying gas.

When they phased out Stage II in MA, a lot of the station owners thought they were going to save a ton of money. They thought they wouldn't have to do any more testing, no more training there employees to do weekly inspections, etc., etc. When they realized they still have to have annual testing done, and still have to do a bunch of other stuff, they realized it wasn't saving them anything an in some cases cost them a little more. The only thing that they really save any money on is that when someone drives off with the nozzle still in the car, the hanging hardware for the non VR stuff is a bit cheaper to replace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here in town you'll get people parking at the pump because it's more convenient to pull in and out of the gas station. They park, mosey in and get their 64 oz Dr. Pepper and mosey on out and get back in their vehicle and drive off. This always happens during peak hours at the station. Unbelievable.

Duffy wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
At my local gas station, I usually fill up, then wash the windows, then wander into the Tim Hortons to grab my coffee while the car is still sitting by the pump....

That's grounds for justifiable homicide around here.

Why don't we take a 5 minute brake...?
Quote Reply
Re: People who drive off with the gasoline nozzle still in their car.... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
And I am the guy that paid for firewood on a recent camping trip then left without taking the firewood that I paid for. Good thing we didn't really need it...

Did just that w/ a bag of charcoal once... It was a long-ass drive too from the campground to the nearest country store to stock up on provisions, most of which fit in a regular shopping basket placed on the counter at the cash register, while the charcoal bag I leaned against the baseboard under the counter at my feet while I got rung up. Paid, turned, and left w/ my bag of groceries... By the time I realized I'd left the charcoal, I decided that going all the way back to get it (and return) would take longer than gathering up enough coals from the campfire to heat up our dutch oven the 'hard' way.
Quote Reply
Re: People who drive off with the gasoline nozzle still in their car.... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Or you could just hold the pump with your hand for those agonizing two minutes.

Screw you. This is a Merica.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: People who drive off with the gasoline nozzle still in their car.... [aTomic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aTomic wrote:
Unbelievable.

I don't think that word means what you think it means
Quote Reply
Re: People who drive off with the gasoline nozzle still in their car.... [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your statement is inconceivable.

Why don't we take a 5 minute brake...?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
At my local gas station, I usually fill up, then wash the windows, then wander into the Tim Hortons to grab my coffee while the car is still sitting by the pump....

That's grounds for justifiable homicide around here.

Especially if you are at one of two pumps with diesel.

PSA: If you don't know what a green hose is- it is deadly and can explode at any time- so use one of the safer pumps that doesn't have the green hose. Thank you and stay safe out there. PS pass this message on to your friends.
Quote Reply
Re: People who drive off with the gasoline nozzle still in their car.... [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Almost happened to me once. About 20 years ago, I was on a cross country road trip. At the time, I was in Las Vegas and went to fill up. I opened the gas cap, put the nozzle in but the pump wouldn't read my card so I had to go in to sort it out. The clerk was a total dick about something or another and we got into a big argument. I ended up telling him to F himself and I walked out.

I was so preoccupied by all of this that I got in my car and was about to blast out of there when some homeless guy basically jumped on my hood to tell me the nozzle was still in the car.

I thanked him and, of course, he asked my for some money for his good deed. By this time, I was so wired up, I just randomly handed him a big handful of Canadian pennies that had previously spilled all over my car (for some reason I can't remember), and wheeled out of there. I still laugh about how confused he looked in my rear view mirror staring at his fistful of useless pennies.

Good times.
Quote Reply
Re: People who drive off with the gasoline nozzle still in their car.... [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
Almost happened to me once. About 20 years ago, I was on a cross country road trip. At the time, I was in Las Vegas and went to fill up. I opened the gas cap, put the nozzle in but the pump wouldn't read my card so I had to go in to sort it out. The clerk was a total dick about something or another and we got into a big argument. I ended up telling him to F himself and I walked out.

I was so preoccupied by all of this that I got in my car and was about to blast out of there when some homeless guy basically jumped on my hood to tell me the nozzle was still in the car.

I thanked him and, of course, he asked my for some money for his good deed. By this time, I was so wired up, I just randomly handed him a big handful of Canadian pennies that had previously spilled all over my car (for some reason I can't remember), and wheeled out of there. I still laugh about how confused he looked in my rear view mirror staring at his fistful of useless pennies.

Good times.

Re: People who drive off with the gasoline nozzle still in their car.... [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
The Guardian wrote:

Good times.

I am not sure where the karma is. The clerk was a dick, but nothing bad happened to him, the homeless guy was helpful but he only got some useless pennies, and I argued with a guy that was trying to screw me over, but other than almost wrecking the guy's pump nothing bad happened to me or the station. Seems karma neutral to me.
Quote Reply
Re: People who drive off with the gasoline nozzle still in their car.... [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
How the fuck does that happen? When it does happen, does the pump automatically shut off or spray gas from the pump? (I assume it shuts off or we would hear about more incidents at gas stations).

Here's how it happens. Pump is on passenger side of car. Driver gets out, pays by card, and starts fueling, knowing that the pump will automatically shut off when the tank is full. Driver, not wanting to waste time standing around, goes into minimart to buy beer. Driver comes out, hops in car, pops upon a can of beer, and drives away, having forgotten that the pump is still in the car. Since the pump is on the passenger side, driver doesn't see it and is not reminded that it's still there.

Yes, I've done it. Cost me around $1000.
Quote Reply
Re: People who drive off with the gasoline nozzle still in their car.... [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
slowguy wrote:
In CA, I think they still have the hold opens, but they have these hoods over the nozzle that make it pretty difficult to keep the gas flowing if you take your hand off. Plus, most stations seems to have signs telling you not to leave the car unattended, no using cell phones, etc.

And people are generally very good at reading and obeying signage....

No, people are generally very dumb and distracted and selfish.

Or, people look at those signs and (1) interpret the "do not leave car unattended" sign to not be about safety but rather about security for their car and property, and (2) the "no cell phone" policy about some outdated and unscientific concern over cell phones setting off an explosion.
Quote Reply
Re: People who drive off with the gasoline nozzle still in their car.... [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
slowguy wrote:
How does this happen? What are people doing while they're supposed to be holding onto the nozzle, fueling their cars?

I asked myself the same thing while I watched a guy spray gasoline all over his car, and he was holding onto the nozzle. This Mensa was holding the hose like a high pressure fire hose, and it was going everywhere (luckily for me it was one of them three pump lanes and he was at the other end). He claimed that the latch was stuck. I would not put it past him or his passenger to have lit up after that scene.

Was he a male model?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnZ2XdqGZWU
Quote Reply
Re: People who drive off with the gasoline nozzle still in their car.... [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
JSA wrote:
How the fuck does that happen? When it does happen, does the pump automatically shut off or spray gas from the pump? (I assume it shuts off or we would hear about more incidents at gas stations).

Here's how it happens. Pump is on passenger side of car. Driver gets out, pays by card, and starts fueling, knowing that the pump will automatically shut off when the tank is full. Driver, not wanting to waste time standing around, goes into minimart to buy beer. Driver comes out, hops in car, pops upon a can of beer, and drives away, having forgotten that the pump is still in the car. Since the pump is on the passenger side, driver doesn't see it and is not reminded that it's still there.

Yes, I've done it. Cost me around $1000.

Unless it didn't have a breakaway you got ripped off big time. I don't know what Duffy charges, but years ago we owned several c stores. Replacement really isn't that hard nor that expensive.
Quote Reply
Re: People who drive off with the gasoline nozzle still in their car.... [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I might have been ripped off.

Realized it happened just as I was driving away and immediately went in to the station to give my contact info. Got an itemized bill a couple weeks later and paid it. They mentioned that there was some damage to the nozzle and not just the break away. Don't know if that was true, but I wasn't in the position or mood to question it.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by SS88 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've read some of the early posts and some late ones and saw no mention...

Does this stuff up the car much?
Quote Reply

Prev Next