Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another view on Hillary...
Quote | Reply
... Also unfavorable still (don't worry, LR haters), yet a very different angle from the usual shrillness over Benghazi and email-servers, etc, continuing to get re-hashed in the other thread(s) ~ less nuts & bolts ("what did she know and when did she know it?") and more of a personal lens. I've never much cared for her, but hadn't thought of it framed in quite this way before:

http://www.nytimes.com/...linton-disliked.html
Quote Reply
Re: Another view on Hillary... [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is hard to swallow when one of the author's key points is that "she's dedicated herself to public service". No, she's dedicated herself to acquiring the presidency and has stepped on anyone who has gotten in her way.

It also said that those around her said she is warm and friendly. If the reports supposedly from the Secret Service are true - they kind of refute the fact that she is warm and friendly to anyone who can't help her gain more power.

Yes, I'm cynical.
Quote Reply
Re: Another view on Hillary... [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's David Brooks. He's just putting the best possible spin possible on Hilary's dis-likeability, which has apparently been a mystery to him. "Turns out, she just works so damn hard it's hard to recognize how warm and charming she really is!"

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Another view on Hillary... [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm really sick and tired of hearing how people who work for the government or get elected are public servants. My experiences is they are just as self serving if not more than any other person. Especially elected officials. If you are willing to tear down your opponent to win an elected position, you are not there to serve.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Another view on Hillary... [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess I can't say I'm surprised, but you all still seem to be missing the point... As I said, there have been plenty of other threads picking on her legal issues or critical of her policy positions, but Vitus is the closest when he points out that Brooks is trying to be as charitable as possible (such as taking the 'public service' phrase at face value rather than going on another tangent picking on such semantics or re-cycling other well-worn gripes) ~ and yet she STILL comes out as unlikeable and impersonal. I think that seems to do a better job of explaining why a lot of people rated her as low as they did even back in 2008 running against Obama in the (D) primary when there wasn't much disagreement w/ her positions on platform issues. That's a lot different than somebody in the LR (shocking!) not liking her stance on gun control or whatever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No shit she is unlikeable. Always has been. She doesn't feel their pain like her husband does. At best she comes across as a heartless technocrat. At worse a self entitled liar willing to do whatever to serve her personal interest. She can't even evolve from positions with the easy your everyday politician can.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
No shit she is unlikeable. Always has been. She doesn't feel their pain like her husband does. At best she comes across as a heartless technocrat. At worse a self entitled liar willing to do whatever to serve her personal interest. She can't even evolve from positions with the easy your everyday politician can.

Ah, but when it's someone you like isn't that just spun as having 'conviction' rather than flip-flopping with the wind?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the topic was why she is unlikeable. Not why I don't like her.

Politicians lie. The higher up the food chain the more they have to lie in order to convince our diverse population they represent them. I don't approve of it, but it is the way it is. Trump seems to have mastered it in the sense nobody cares that he says one thing one day and changes his position the next. Clinton can't even do they. It looks forced.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
I'm really sick and tired of hearing how people who work for the government or get elected are public servants. My experiences is they are just as self serving if not more than any other person. Especially elected officials. If you are willing to tear down your opponent to win an elected position, you are not there to serve.

You have to question why someone will spend MILLIONS of Dollars even if it is other peoples money to get a job that pays $400,000 a year.

They are not public servants. Here in VA we have a 16 year congressmen who does not think he can be elected in his current district, so he is "renting" a apartment in the district next to his home. When you do this you are no longer serving the people the people are serving you.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Another view on Hillary... [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or when you switch parties. Those are the lowest of the low.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:

Yep. Everything said or done is in the name of getting elected and going forward it's to stay in power. Liberal or conservative, the one trait they all share is narcissism. I think the single most significant thing we can do to get Congress functioning as it's supposed to is to impose term limits. Of course Congress would never approve such a thing.
Last edited by: Patrick E: May 25, 16 18:49
Quote Reply