Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gord Downie - terminal brain cancer
Quote | Reply
DEATH continues his onslaught against Boomer/GenX music icons.

I'm not a huge Hip fan, but I've got the standards in my collection. Saw them once in concert, good show.

They've announced a last tour. I'll make an effort to get to one of the shows.
Quote Reply
Re: Gord Downie - terminal brain cancer [pjnow00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great band.
I'll be driving through Bobcaygeon this weekend - I'm sure my thoughts will turn to the Hip.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Gord Downie - terminal brain cancer [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
Great band.
I'll be driving through Bobcaygeon this weekend - I'm sure my thoughts will turn to the Hip.

try to drive around Bobcaygeon if possible. If you are going through on Froday it could be horrible. Bridge work is being done and one lane is open. Five minute wait this past Sunday morning. Friday evening will be at least 20 minutes.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cancer Sucks.

Not as big today as they were but when I was in highschool they were in their hay day. I saw them live when they were touring Trouble at the Henhouse. Great show. Gord is fun to watch.

Quote Reply
Re: Gord Downie - terminal brain cancer [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have been playing Victoria for the last few years, and have put on some great shows. At one outdoor festival, it started to pour as they were playing. We even had lightening (which is rare here... maybe once or twice a year in the summer). The lightening was occasionally perfectly time with punctuating the crescendos of Gift Shop, which was really cool to see.

I do of them being overplayed a bit, but, it's hard to deny their impact on Canadian music. Legendary band.

Taken during the show (photo credit unknown).

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love the Hip and this saddens me a great deal. I've had a great time at the shows over the many years, have seen them many times and I will see them when i can on this last tour.. how awful..
The music just sings CANADA to me and cottage country. Love it and will miss it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't a diehard Hip fan growing up and have only ever seen them live in small clubs while I was living in the States. I remember those shows fondly - every local ex-pat would be there decked in Team Canada or Leafs jerseys. One of my American triathlon buddies and doorman at one of the clubs commented that Downie was the best frontman he had ever seen. Sad day for Canadian music.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John Mann from Spirit of the West is done performing due to Alzheimers now Gord Downie has brain cancer? Damn it!

The Hip are touring this summer, I'll definitely be catching a show. I saw the final SOTW concert in Vancouver and it was fabulous and heartbreaking. Man, this is turning into the year of sad farewell shows.
Quote Reply
Re: Gord Downie - terminal brain cancer [Alibabwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SOTW was one of the other bands at the Hip Concert I went to. There were about 9 bands or something like that. I missed the first three or so. Then a bunch sucked. SOTW came on and were great, then the Hip killed it.

As for the final tour, I no longer go to concerts. Too damned loud. GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seeing SOTW in their last ever concert at the Commodore was pretty special. It was definitely too darned loud, and too darned late, but it was worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

As for the final tour, I no longer go to concerts. Too damned loud. GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Did you ever see big sugar play? I thought I knew what loud was. Then I went to a big sugar concert.

Metallica stadium concert sized sound equipment in a club with a 300 person capacity. I lost most of my fillings that day.

Quote Reply
Re: Gord Downie - terminal brain cancer [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you remember Big Sugar before they became a loud rock band?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Cancer Sucks.

Not as big today as they were but when I was in highschool they were in their hay day. I saw them live when they were touring Trouble at the Henhouse. Great show. Gord is fun to watch.

Saw them as part of the 1995 Another Roadside Attraction tour. Amazing showman! Could never really get much in to the albums after Day For Night, but good on them for reinventing themselves with each subsequent album.

"The runner-up John Dunbar, a US Navy Seal, led after the second transition and had a chance to win but ran out of water on the marathon course; his support crew resorted to giving him beer instead." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They've been my favourite band for pretty much as long as I can remember - good Kingston boy that I am. We'll definitely be getting tickets for one of the shows on this tour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Guffaw wrote:
Great band.

try to drive around Bobcaygeon if possible. If you are going through on Froday it could be horrible. Bridge work is being done and one lane is open. Five minute wait this past Sunday morning. Friday evening will be at least 20 minutes.

Ditto. Try to avoid taking Highway 36 into Bobcaygeon from Lindsay. Getting across the bridge was brutal. If possible take County Rd 24 which runs along the south shore of Sturgeon Lake into downtown Bobcaygeon. You'll need to use the swing bridge but if you are lucky, no big boats will be going through. This way you can avoid the bridge construction and with the time you save stop into the original Kawartha Dairy for a killer ice cream cone.
Quote Reply
Re: Gord Downie - terminal brain cancer [Ex-Rower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No matter what I'm doing, whenever Wheat Kings comes on the radio, I pretty much have to stop, shush everyone, and just listen for a couple of minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB965aUPsmM

Last edited by: BCtriguy1: May 24, 16 19:41
Quote Reply