Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Good thing they're in their last throes
Quote | Reply
On June 20, 2005, VP Cheney said "I think they're in the last throes, if you will, of the insurgency."

October of 2005 saw the greatest loss of American forces since January, and the fourth worst month since the war began.

(lest anyone charge that I'm gleeful about the fact that people dying shows that Cheney is an idiot, I'm not. I grieve the loss of these men and women.)

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Good thing they're in their last throes [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The toll really is beyond horrific now, and as bad as the death toll is, I have been recently wondering which statistic is the most appalling.

There is of course the horrendous civilian death toll.

There is the fact that the injury rate in this conflict is so high compared to the death rate (advances in body armour and other defences, combined with the type of weapons and tactics of the enemy mean that relatively more attacks result in injury rather than death). Many soldiers are coming home badly damaged for life.

And there is the reported fact that more than half of those in active service who were polled believe that they have killed, and 28% believe that they have killed civilians. I struggle to imagine how this can be true, but if it is even those returning soldiers whose bodies are intact are going to be dealing with psychological problems for decades to come.
Quote Reply
Re: Good thing they're in their last throes [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More people have been murdered in Chicago since the start of the war, that's horrific, the war pales in comparison to the violence that is in our nations streets. We will come in around 18k homicides in this nation this year, fight the real war.
Quote Reply
Re: Good thing they're in their last throes [marko16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the war pales in comparison to the violence that is in our nations streets.

I'd laugh, but it isn't funny.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marko, why fight that war? There isn't oil to be had under the streets of Chicago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More people have been murdered in Chicago since the start of the war

I think you mean,,,, "more people have been murdered in Chicago than US military have been killed in Iraq since the start of the war."

Pretty sad that everyone forgets about the Iraqi civilians,,, I guess they don't count.
Quote Reply
Re: Good thing they're in their last throes [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
90% of US deaths have occured since the President landed on his aricraft carrier and declared that the mission had been accomplished and later went on to declare that major combat operations were at an end.

Since those declarations and similar ones by senior administration officials including Cheney and Rumsfeld we have lost almost 2000 troops...our leaders are either fools or liars. Personally I think one of them is a fool and the rest are liars, but thats just me.

Talking about Rumsfeld, did anyone see him humming along to We Shall Overcome at Rosa Park's memorial service last night. I almost wet my pants laughing at the irony.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Last edited by: MattinSF: Nov 1, 05 16:49
Quote Reply
Re: Good thing they're in their last throes [Jerrodg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't get any of it, if it were oil, we would all be paying a buck a gallon and voting for republicans. If it were about all the obvious things, we would have obvious results. Even with crippling results, the bushmaster is hanging in there. Misguided conviction is worthy, but only goes so far. Turning tail at this point would get so many more innocents killed it becomes quite a mess. With the last point how does one exit from this event?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the last point how does one exit from this event?

That's the $350 billion+ question.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.geocities.com/...bride/hist/wars.html