Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Damn you theForge - Ryan caves [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frank, you gotta take the money or nobody will trust you. Do you want people who don't trust you having your back when you kick in a door on a drug bust?

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Damn you theForge - Ryan caves [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He will help looking like a team player if he gets on that train. And he will look like less of a loser if he does it sooner or if he does later and wins something out of it.

That might be true IF Trump wins.
Quote Reply
Re: Damn you theForge - Ryan caves [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
There have been many articles noting that the Republican "establishment" deserves what it got, but Peggy Noonan in today's Wall Street Journal has a pretty good one. She concludes with this:

Quote:
I confess I have lost patience with many of those declaring they cannot in good conscience support him, not because reasons of conscience are not crucial—they are, and if they apply they should be declared. But some making these declarations managed in good conscience, indeed with the highest degree of self-regard, to back the immigration proposals of George W. Bush that contributed so much to the crisis that produced Mr. Trump. They invented Sarah Palin. They managed to support the global attitudes and structures that left the working class jobless. They dreamed up the Iraq war.

Sometimes I think their consciences are really not so delicate.

As for the political consultants who insult Mr. Trump so vigorously, they are the ones who did most to invent him. What do they ever do in good conscience?

She can't seem to decide who "invented" Trump....
Quote Reply
Re: Damn you theForge - Ryan caves [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. It will apply either way. Like I said,
Have you ever been the employee who didn't go with the team when you knew they were wrong? Yes, it may be personally satisfying. But it makes staying in the company a pain in the ass. It depends more on the situation and this isn't it.

Team dynamix in politics is like corporate.

If you don't agree with the majority in a course of action that must be followed, you are viewed as an outsider not a team player.

If you don't agree with the majority in a situation and have the ability to positively change the outcome, you look like a winner.

How can Ryan change the dynamic here? All he can do is not go along and say I told you so. Nobody likes being til I told you so. Especially when many in the back of their mind already have that idea in their head.

Different dynamic.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Frank, you gotta take the money or nobody will trust you. Do you want people who don't trust you having your back when you kick in a door on a drug bust?

Who is Frank?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
TheForge wrote:

Who is Frank?

Shirley you know who Frank is!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Except this situation it is very different that what you described.

1. Many in the "majority" aren't all in. Some are, many are doing it while holding their noses. You included. Trump is a train wreck of a candidate, if the Dems had anyone other than Hillary (or Bernie) it would already be over.

2. Given the extreme unfavorability of Trump and Hillary, not many people are going to be happy with the result in November, even if the person they voted for wins. At this point, no one has the ability to positively change the situation. It is too late for a white knight candidate.

He does have another option than being an "I told you so" when either one of these idiots win, he can show bipartisan leadership as Speaker and look like the sane one that has broader appeal than either current candidate for president. Perhaps he is gambling a bit and playing a long game. I think that is his best play and why I'm not surprised he is not caving to Trump.

But who knows, there was a guy here who thought he would lose his seat for not backing Trump and that doesn't seem to be what's happening.

It is a strange election cycle for certain.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Damn you theForge - Ryan caves [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
JSA wrote:
TheForge wrote:

Who is Frank?

Shirley you know who Frank is!

I have no idea who Frank is. And stop calling me Shirley!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Damn you theForge - Ryan caves [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except there are two things that will always matter in Party politics.

Loyalty and not what have you done for my, but what have you done for me lately. All this idealism and principal stuff is great for unified party for getting unity.

But right now winning is matter. When loyalties are formed in the aftermath win or lose, people are going to ask people like Ryan what they did to help win. Standing for principal ain't going to cut it.

In fact, thisnisn why Rubio who called trump a con artist has become pretty supportive later. He knows any attempt at 2020 will need the support of the trump block.

Quote Reply
Re: Damn you theForge - Ryan caves [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
TheForge wrote:
How so? What would he do if he was the lone holdout? Tell everybody he want to support him in 2020, "told you so"? Power and politics doesn't work that way. Instead, party loyalty (as in going with the majority) will be a litmus test, and he will need the people who don't really like him to fall in line. How can he ask more moderate trump supporters that don't like him to jump on Von Ryan's Express if he didn't ride the Trump train?

Short answer, he can't. I said this a week ago, I've said this in other elections. Today, I heard three moderate voiced radio host say it. It is the way it works. The best he could do is get some concessions to go back home with. And he has backpeddled on what that means to an easy to overcome bar.

He should have held out until he got something that looked like a concession that a true conservative could buy into. Now he's just another shmuck in the Trump's pocket along with Christie.

He should have just kept his mouth shut and remained neutral. He created a bad situation where none was needed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In fact, thisnisn why Rubio who called trump a con artist has become pretty supportive later. He knows any attempt at 2020 will need the support of the trump block.

I lost all respect for those politicians who earlier denounced Trump as a potentially bad leader and then turn around and support him. Guys like Christie, Carson and Rubio are simply doing what is their own interest. Why would anyone want to vote for them down the road, they sell themselves to the highest bidder.

If Cruz and Ryan endorse him, I will feel the same about them.

Nothing wrong with just keeping quiet, you don't have to announce who you support.
Quote Reply
Re: Damn you theForge - Ryan caves [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if they say: "I dont like Trump but he's a fuck of a lot better than Hillary, VOTE FOR TRUMP!!!"
Quote Reply
Re: Damn you theForge - Ryan caves [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if they say: "I dont like Trump but he's a fuck of a lot better than Hillary, VOTE FOR TRUMP!!!"

I'd say it's a cop out. If you don't like Trump, Hilary is not the only option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Serpico.

Quote Reply

Prev Next