Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BMW owners, especially E39....tell me why I shouldn't do this
Quote | Reply
I'm about to pull trigger on a minty 2000 E39 M. I owned a '94 5 series before back in the '90s & loved it--next to the Cayenne Turbo it was the best car I've owned. I'm getting it about $5-8k below current collector's value (sub $20k, <70k miles, rarest color combo + about $5k in Dinan upgrades). Current owner has owned it for 11 years & is beyond meticulous in his records. This would be a summer daily driver & garaged during winter. Planning on dropping another $1500 into the sound/bluetooth, but really don't need most of the current tech/creature comforts/breakables that are out there.

I've spent a ton of time on the Bimmer forums.....but anyone got any personal experience to talk me out of this?

I'm in auto finance. I hate financing BMW's---massive depreciation curve & the last 10 years their values plummet once they are off the lot + maintenance on them has never been cheap but is now ridiculous for the 2006 & newer, especially 5 & 7 series (seriously NEVER buy a used 2006 or newer 5 or 7 w/o CPO or ESC). But the bottom of the depreciation curve hit the E39s about a year ago & they are starting to climb in value. The other option would be a '03 540 for $9k less, but it is an automatic......

All advice appreciated.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: BMW owners, especially E39....tell me why I shouldn't do this [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry no advice from me just feel like bitching and moaning about my $800 visit to the bmw service department...$360 to change spark plugs??? Are you kidding me!!!
Quote Reply
Re: BMW owners, especially E39....tell me why I shouldn't do this [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:
Sorry no advice from me just feel like bitching and moaning about my $800 visit to the bmw service department...$360 to change spark plugs??? Are you kidding me!!!
First world problems....lol

That, among with the fact I cant afford them, is why I wont own those kind of cars. I used to work on them so I would probably end up doing so anyway, but the cost of parts and the annoyance with getting to them is a pain. If I remember correctly the battery for either the Cayenne or the VW SUV is under the driver seat.......not too fun
Quote Reply
Re: BMW owners, especially E39....tell me why I shouldn't do this [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boy that sounds like a hell of a deal if you are going to drive it as planned. I have the 2006 version of loved/hated e60 m5 wih the v10 and 205mph top speed. I fully know the risks of ownership, but I have to say that the enjoyment that I get when I take it out of the garage and the "nice car" comments makes it worth while. I do the same as you plan on doing - parked all winter in the garage and taken out only a few times a year. Mine has 65k on it and looks brand new and has needed nothing more than a $300 oil change and a thermostat since I bought it 2 years ago.

now if you want a daily driver, that's a whole different story.
Quote Reply
Re: BMW owners, especially E39....tell me why I shouldn't do this [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm torn as the V 10 is amazing but so are the maintenance costs. They are $5k or so apart.....for a 6 years younger version. ...... hell of a depreciation curve

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 1999 328i convertible covered with a tarp sitting in my driveway. That's my toy. I need to fix the motor on the top, clean the drain holes and reseal the trunk. Need a new fog light and front end emblem (a$$hole ripped it off). But I'm not paying the prices the local guys want to do the work, so it will sit there till I have time to do it. Hopefully in the next month or so. I love driving that car in the summer. I say go for it, the E39 M sounds like an awesome car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you have your eyes fully open to the possibilities for maintenance.

I've always like the E39 M5. I have an E39 525iT 5sp that I daily drive. With the E39 it is the common electrical items that can drive you nuts. Door actuators, sun roof rails, various sensors around the car.

I have an '89 M3 also. It is amazing how much more complex the newer car is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess the seats, and trim pieces are a pia. As always the window regulators are an issue. Those have been my main complaints through the 5 BMW's I have had recently. Seat motors can go out, or the gears get messed up on them. Window regulators get weak easily on them. Same with the sunroof as well. Oh and the suspension bushings seem to wear out easier than other vehicles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"massive depreciation curve & the last 10 years their values plummet once they are off the lot + maintenance on them has never been cheap but is now ridiculous for the 2006 & newer"

This is pretty much it. We don't have a top of the line model ('01 Z3). I'd sell our BMW but it won't bring anything, but keeping it and driving it is massively expensive.

My wife loves it but never drives it. I figure by keeping it and parking it I save money. If I didn't have that I'd probably be out looking for an older collector car to work on. Instead I have the Z3 to drive every now and then and no costs of restoring another.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I say go for it! If I could have my pick of car it would be an E39 M5, I really like the E60 M5 but don't have the time or money to mess with the repairs on that. The E39 is a solid M car, not near as bad as far as reliability and starting to become very collectible. If you are looking at a cherry condition M5 for a decent price, I would jump on it.

I have a 2002 BMW 330ci. Do all the work on it myself so it really isn't too bad to own. It is a bit more expensive than a lesser car to keep on the road, but the drive is worth it.
Quote Reply