Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saw a blue hair driving a seriously abused car...
Quote | Reply
This old bird was driving around in a battleship and it looked like she had either side swiped something pretty solid or was the recipient. I'm going to assume the former. It had dents and road rash on every corner of the big old beast. She could barely see over the steering wheel but she looked happy. Happy like a person that gets through her day without knowing, or giving a shit that she's just run over your prized harley.

When I get old like that and I'm running into shit, and my kid tells me it's time to hand over the keys I suspect there will be fight. So part of me thinks bash on cute old lady, but another goes holy crap get her off the road before she kills somebody or herself! Of course she may have a perfect record and I'm just assuming she hit something.
Before my ex's Aunt and Uncle passed away, their car looked like an empty beer can at a nascar race.

Has anybody had to take the keys away, and how successful were you?
Quote Reply
Re: Saw a blue hair driving a seriously abused car... [triathlung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As long as she wasn't texting it's all good.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Saw a blue hair driving a seriously abused car... [triathlung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everything that happened to my mom's van was the other guys fault, including the time she pulled out in front of the Freightliner that had the right of way because he should have known that she was going to blow that stop sign.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My dad refused to drive with my grandfather for decades because he was such a crazy driver. We thought for sure he'd kill somebody eventually. Never did, as far as we know, just came home one day and put the keys down and said he was done driving. So he probably scared himself pretty good and that was the end of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure that we'll have to take the keys from my Dad eventually. He's in his 70s and is fine for now. But the day will come and it won't be pretty.

Recently my Mom forced him to go get tested for memory loss. He wasn't happy about that either. But the test did show that he's losing his short term memory.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Saw a blue hair driving a seriously abused car... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
I am pretty sure that we'll have to take the keys from my Dad eventually. He's in his 70s and is fine for now. But the day will come and it won't be pretty.

Recently my Mom forced him to go get tested for memory loss. He wasn't happy about that either. But the test did show that he's losing his short term memory.

My mom is 82 and we are starting to have concerns but she hasn't hit anything yet. She lives in a rural area and drives into town for church and groceries. I would be more concerned if it was a more urban environment. Her motor skills are fine, it's going to be memory problems that are eventually going keep her from driving. She gets confused pretty easily and eventually she won't be able to remember where she was going or how to get home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My grandmother, after side swiping a farm wagon at a local produce stand and not realizing she hit anything came to me after finding out she damaged her car, handed me her keys and said "can you get this fixed for me and then sell the car? I'm done driving".

Too bad everyone didn't have this much sense.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My mom willingly gave up the keys after a few side swipes. I think it was her idea. She kept her car for another year or two, just stopped driving.

I'd like to get the keys away from the kid who keeps parking next to me at work. Both sides of his car beat to hell, full of side swipe marks. He routinely parks so close to the car on his right that you can't get into your car. I took to parking in the corner so I could get in and out of my vehicle.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We tried to get my 85 year old father to give up his keys several times over the past several years, as he was having some near misses, grinding into curbs while trying to park, etc. Stubborn as hell and he wouldn't do it.

Things came to a head last autumn when he was in a single car accident. Misjudged a turn, knocked over a traffic light, it fell and smashed in his back window, blew a tire hitting the median. He claims he didn't notice the shattered back window, drove over the median, went the wrong way down a one way street until his busted tire caused him to stop, and eventually a cop showed up. It was a miracle he didn't kill himself or a pedestrian at the intersection where he took out the light.

DMV pulled his license. He's mad as hell and would be driving despite the cancelled license if he could figure out how to get his car back from where it got towed. And he's pretty mad at my brothers and me for not 'helping him get his wheels back.'
Quote Reply
Re: Saw a blue hair driving a seriously abused car... [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
My mom willingly gave up the keys after a few side swipes. I think it was her idea. She kept her car for another year or two, just stopped driving.

I'd like to get the keys away from the kid who keeps parking next to me at work. Both sides of his car beat to hell, full of side swipe marks. He routinely parks so close to the car on his right that you can't get into your car. I took to parking in the corner so I could get in and out of my vehicle.

Man, this is one of my peeves people thT for sone reason can't, or choose not, to park properly. How freakin hard is it to get somewhere near the middle of the spot so that everyone has room to get out of their cars? And if you whiff, and wind up on the line, back the fuck out and try again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My ex voluntarily gave up driving (mid 30s) after she caused a series of accidents. She's Korean. :D She moved close to work, on a bus line. That's when I met her. If a single employed person made their life work without a car, it would work for an elderly retired person. It has more to do with being stuck in a pattern (driving) and not seeing alternatives or refusing to attempt alternatives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triathlung wrote:
This old bird was driving around in a battleship and it looked like she had either side swiped something pretty solid or was the recipient. I'm going to assume the former. It had dents and road rash on every corner of the big old beast. She could barely see over the steering wheel but she looked happy. Happy like a person that gets through her day without knowing, or giving a shit that she's just run over your prized harley.

When I get old like that and I'm running into shit, and my kid tells me it's time to hand over the keys I suspect there will be fight. So part of me thinks bash on cute old lady, but another goes holy crap get her off the road before she kills somebody or herself! Of course she may have a perfect record and I'm just assuming she hit something.
Before my ex's Aunt and Uncle passed away, their car looked like an empty beer can at a nascar race.

Has anybody had to take the keys away, and how successful were you?

My mom was 86 when she pulled a left turn directly into an oncoming car. Luckily nobody was seriously hurt but her car was totaled. She was in Michigan at the time and we were in CA. We spoke to the Secretary of State's office and there was nothing we could do to ensure she would not drive again. Fortunately shortly after the accident she moved to CA to be with us but she could not pass the written test for a CA drivers license. She was PO'd. We were overjoyed. It really hurt her to lose her independence but she's a feisty 93 now and I'm happy she hasn't killed anyone or herself.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply