Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Adam LaRoche: Standing up for his family or just being unreasonable? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't blame the team for not wanting his kid there every day all day. Likewise, I don't blame the Dad for retiring if spending time with his kid was more important than continuing his 12 year baseball career. If I had the kind of money he does I wouldn't bother working either. I'd be spending time with my family.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam LaRoche: Standing up for his family or just being unreasonable? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
Eephus wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
it's completely unreasonable and laroche seems like a self absorbed dbag for not figuring this out for himself.

A professional athlete who is completely unreasonable and a self absorbed douchebag? Who'd have thunk it?

I'm not a LaRoche expert, but over the years while playing for other teams, his son has spent significant time in the clubhouse. This wasn't a secret. White Sox signed him and he got permission for son to be in clubhouse. Team came back and said - it's too much. LaRoche says fine, I'd rather spend time with my son. And' he's a douchebag for that decision? Or he's a douchebag for consistently spending time with his son? Or he's a douchebag for alienating all the other adults on the team by having his son there? I've tried to search for any articles or feedback related to other adults over the years expressing any issue with LaRoche's amount of time spent in clubhouse, etc. I've come up empty so far - but in all honesty my efforts were minimal - my ADHD kicked in pretty quickly.

LaRoche isn't a douchebag for wanting to spend time with his kid and raise him the way he thinks is appropriate.

But he's a douchebag because:

1. He insists upon imposing his parenting decisions on others, as if teammates and club personnel don't have kids too. (But apparently, his kid is special.)

2, He's grandstanding about this, tweeting a #familyfirst.

3. He's using a kid as an excuse to retire, when in reality, he's old and his skills are significantly waning, and

4. He's a baseball player, and as much as I love the sport, I recognize that at least 90% of baseball players are douchebags.

Valid points on #2 and #4.

I'd agree with #1 except for the simple fact I didn't read anywhere that other personnel were denied the same option. Not to say that didn't happen, but that certainly hasn't been introduced as a factor. Don't hate the guy because he was the only one to push the limits, others could have too I guess.

#3 just doesn't sit right with me logically. Guy getting paid $13 million to suck - no reason to walk away from that. Other than he felt strongly about spending time with son, and once that changed he walked away because he had nothing to prove and cheddar in the bank.

I think the White Sox wanted out of the contract - they were paying a guy $13 million to suck and they knew he knew that they knew, and he wasn't going anywhere. They knew how important the time spent with his son was, hell, they gave him a locker right next to his dad. They knew how to push his button and they did it.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam LaRoche: Standing up for his family or just being unreasonable? [Eephus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eephus wrote:
slowguy wrote:
blueraider_mike wrote:
slowguy wrote:
First, this kid is homeschooled and taken to the ballpark each day, which basically means he has no chance to learn how to socialize with kids his own age.

Lastly, parents need to learn that nobody else thinks their kids are as cute as they think their kids are.

I am so sick of hearing this "reasoning" on home-schooled kids, you have no idea what your talking about. One of the beauties of teaching your kids is they actually get MORE experiences versus spending 8 hours a day in a prison like building being treated like a robot.

No. They do not get MORE experience socializing with kids their own age, when they're staying at home or going on trips with their parents, and the kids their age are in school. They just don't.

Haha. This is awesome. Now morphed into homeschool debate. For those of us getting our popcorn ready, can we get a little background on what qualifies everyone as an expert in the field? Or is this just opinion based on.....????

It's not a homeschool debate. I don't have any problem with homeschooling in general. I'm not making any statements about the usefulness, effectiveness, or value of homeschooling, nor have I asserted anything about people who homeschool or kids who are homeschooled, except that homeschooling doesn't provide the same opportunities for peer group socialization as regular school. This should be painfully obvious to anyone not hopelessly entrenched in some ideology that requires them to ignore reality.

A kid who is in a place everyday with lots of other kids, has more opportunities to learn to socialize with other kids than a kid who is at home (or traveling, or at work, or going on educational tours) with his parents.

Not rocket science.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Adam LaRoche: Standing up for his family or just being unreasonable? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
homeschooling doesn't provide the same opportunities for peer group socialization as regular school. This should be painfully obvious to anyone not hopelessly entrenched in some ideology that requires them to ignore reality.

Or those of us with actual experience . . .

A kid who is in a place everyday with lots of other kids, has more opportunities to learn to socialize with other kids than a kid who is at home (or traveling, or at work, or going on educational tours) with his parents.

I think you're overestimating the amount of socializing that goes in modern school, as well as underestimating the amount of socializing that homeschooled kids are typically exposed to- the the point of caricature. It's not like kids in a modern school have loads of time to interact freely with each other, and it's certainly not like most homeschooled kids spend their childhood locked inside the house 24/7 with mom and dad.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Adam LaRoche: Standing up for his family or just being unreasonable? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Eephus wrote:
slowguy wrote:
blueraider_mike wrote:
slowguy wrote:
First, this kid is homeschooled and taken to the ballpark each day, which basically means he has no chance to learn how to socialize with kids his own age.

Lastly, parents need to learn that nobody else thinks their kids are as cute as they think their kids are.

I am so sick of hearing this "reasoning" on home-schooled kids, you have no idea what your talking about. One of the beauties of teaching your kids is they actually get MORE experiences versus spending 8 hours a day in a prison like building being treated like a robot.

No. They do not get MORE experience socializing with kids their own age, when they're staying at home or going on trips with their parents, and the kids their age are in school. They just don't.

Haha. This is awesome. Now morphed into homeschool debate. For those of us getting our popcorn ready, can we get a little background on what qualifies everyone as an expert in the field? Or is this just opinion based on.....????

It's not a homeschool debate. I don't have any problem with homeschooling in general. I'm not making any statements about the usefulness, effectiveness, or value of homeschooling, nor have I asserted anything about people who homeschool or kids who are homeschooled, except that homeschooling doesn't provide the same opportunities for peer group socialization as regular school. This should be painfully obvious to anyone not hopelessly entrenched in some ideology that requires them to ignore reality.

Not rocket science.

So does quantity of socialization opportunities equate into quality? Is 7 hours of opportunity better than 3? I don't know, I'm asking.

Is it better or worse for a 14 year old boy to presumably socialize more with adults than other 14 year old boys? Again, I don't know.

Making a blanket statement that the longer a kid is with other kids the more opportunities to learn to socialize with those kids isn't rocket surgery, I agree. Deriving advantage or disadvantage out of that statement isn't nearly as obvious, but then again, I'm slow. And no I wasn't homeschooled, not that there's anything wrong with that.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam LaRoche: Standing up for his family or just being unreasonable? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think you're overestimating the amount of socializing that goes in modern school, as well as underestimating the amount of socializing that homeschooled kids are typically exposed to- the the point of caricature. It's not like kids in a modern school have loads of time to interact freely with each other, and it's certainly not like most homeschooled kids spend their childhood locked inside the house 24/7 with mom and dad.

And I think you're inferring things from what I said that aren't there, out of oversensitivity to the choices you've made.

This kid (the kid I was speaking about when I made my statement) is homeschooled, and apparently spends nearly every day with his dad at the ballpark. That doesn't allow for much socialization with his peer group, as I said. Socializing with professional ballplayers, as juvenile as they might be, is not the same as socializing with peers.

I think you dramatically underestimate the socialization that happens at schools. Free time is not the issue. Kids socialize in class, at lunch, in the hallways between class, before and after school, on the bus, at extracurriculars, etc.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 What if i wanted to bring my 14 year old daughter to practice every day? Can she hang out in the locker room ?
Last edited by: milesaway: Mar 17, 16 15:50
Quote Reply
Re: Adam LaRoche: Standing up for his family or just being unreasonable? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure I'd want my kids in the same clubhouse as Brett Lawrie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's what I know: One of us has direct and extensive experience with homeschooling, and the other does not. You can chalk up our disagreement to my supposed hypersensitivity about my life choices, or you can accept the fact that I have a better idea of what I'm talking about than you do. Go with whatever conclusion you want. I'm telling you that "socialization" is just not an issue when it comes to homeschooled kids in general, anymore than it is for kids who go to public schools. It's a myth, and like many such myths, it's based mostly in ignorance, not fact.

If you're simply referring to LaRoche's kid, and weren't making comments about homeschoolers in general, well, I didn't pick up on that. But even at that, you have no real idea of how well socialized he is, or how much time he spends with his peers. You only know that he doesn't go to school during the day.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

This kid (the kid I was speaking about when I made my statement) is homeschooled, and apparently spends nearly every day with his dad at the ballpark.

I'm just going to point out that you know basically fuck-all about how LaRoche raises his kid. You know he's homeschooled and spends a lot of time with his dad. I don't think you know anything else. He could spend many hours each week playing with other kids. He could study with other kids. Neither your nor I know. Parenting trial by Internet is pretty dumb. Particularly when this is a parent who's decided to spend more time with his kid. A travesty! In the spectrum of pro sports dads, LaRoche is probably far closer to one of the best than one of the worst. He's had one wife.

But, oh yeah, he's a "douche."
Last edited by: trail: Mar 17, 16 16:46
Quote Reply
Re: Adam LaRoche: Standing up for his family or just being unreasonable? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Parenting trial by Internet is pretty dumb.

Good thing I didn't do that then, I guess.

Quote:
I'm just going to point out that you know basically fuck-all about how LaRoche raises his kid.

And I'm going to point out that you apparently don't know fuck-all about reading comprehension. I didn't make any comments about LaRoche and how he raises his kid, except to point out that if the kid doesn't attend school, and spends all day in a professional dugout, then he's not getting the peer socialization a kid who attends school is getting. But hey, you and Vitus know better, because hanging out with pro athletes (many of whom don't speak English) is exactly like school.

Quote:
But, oh yeah, he's a "douche."

Man, you are on a roll. Nobody said he was a douche because of how he decided to raise his kids, or because he decided to homeschool. Fucking parents are the fucking worst. God forbid anyone say anything that could tangentially be considered to be any sort of criticism or comment on how anyone does anything with regard to their kids, you idiots jump all over it like a bunch of hysterical jackasses.

LaRoche is a bit of a douche because he insisted on bringing his kid to work with him nearly 100% of the time, was offered the chance to keep bringing his kid to work but in a reduced amount, refused to negotiate and tried to force the White Sox to put some sort of percentage number on it, and then claimed to be so offended by this that he had to retire from baseball, when it's very likely he needed to retire anyway for being a mediocre player who barely hit over .200 last year and has had injuries, and then tried to self righteously take the high ground using hash tags to paint himself as a hero of the family.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Adam LaRoche: Standing up for his family or just being unreasonable? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If you're simply referring to LaRoche's kid, and weren't making comments about homeschoolers in general, well, I didn't pick up on that.

Yeah, it was really hard to pick up on.

"First, this kid is homeschooled and taken to the ballpark each day, which basically means he has no chance to learn how to socialize with kids his own age."

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Adam LaRoche: Standing up for his family or just being unreasonable? [Eephus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eephus wrote:
Anyone know if the dad was homeschooled as a kid? This might help explain some things maybe, maybe not.

I don't know if he was homeschooled, but I saw a good story from Ken Rosenthal earlier today where LaRoche was saying how he and his brother Andy (also a major leaguer) spent a ton of time as kids in the locker room where their dad Dave was a pitcher for the Angels. I don't know if they spent as much time as his son does now, but it does provide some context,

I know many ballplayers have their kids around the ballpark and the playing field quite a bit ( David Ortiz does this with his son, and Roger Clemens even had in his contract that his kids have lockers next to his). Rosenthal's article this morning said pretty much every team allows it but just around the clubhouse/ field until batting practice starts, when the kids then have to go to a designated family area.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"First, this kid is homeschooled and taken to the ballpark each day, which basically means he has no chance to learn how to socialize with kids his own age."

And again, you don't know that. You only know he doesn't go to a regular school. He's at the ballpark during the day when his peers are in school. That's all you know. You have no idea how much time, or of what type and quality, he spends with kids his own age. Just like you don't know that some kid in a regular school doesn't go home immediately after the last bell rings just to spend the rest of his time until bed doing homework, or playing video games in the basement, or whatever.

And as far as limiting your comments to LaRouche's kid, that doesn't really fly, either. They would inevitably apply with the same logic to just about any kid who doesn't spend his daytime hours in school with other kids his age, whether they spend those hours at the ballpark or in the kitchen being taught by a parent or wherever else.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

And as far as limiting your comments to LaRouche's kid, that doesn't really fly, either.

Ok, you and slowguy for some reason keep insisting on adding a superfluous U in LaRoche`s last name. Neither of you are Canadian so cut it out.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Screw off, eh? This is what we get for trying to make you feel at home.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

Second, things happen and are said in adult workplaces that minor children have no business being exposed to on a daily basis, and the other adults shouldn't have to change their workplace behavior to suit someone's child.

Guarantee this kid isn't going to grow up to be some feminized metro sexual crying bitch.

What better masculine experience for a young man to be part of than being inside a clubhouse like that.

Great counter to all the male bashing going on in society today.

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Adam LaRoche: Standing up for his family or just being unreasonable? [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
The plot thickens.......

http://espn.go.com/...e-lied-exec-williams

As a life-long Sox fan, this is just a sign of a losing team that can't hope to get their shit together. Why the fuck is this kid at the ballpark all the time? Why the fuck didn't the Sox trade LaRoche anyways, he's sucked the last year or so? Why are the teammates talking trash in the media over what should have been a non-story? Why is management either lying to players, or why are the players so confused that they think management is lying to them?

It's going to be another shitty season.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Adam LaRoche: Standing up for his family or just being unreasonable? [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
The plot thickens.......

Oy, what a bunch of tools. Just say why the rule was implemented. Be truthful. It's not difficult.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
The plot thickens.......

When will this end? I'm a fan, and the WhiteSox are not this newsworthy.

my guess is that the complaints came from a player and Kenny wisely doesn't want to admit it. My guess is that it was Jose Abreu. Abreu has a 5 year old son that he's seen once in 5 years (because he can't get the kid out of Cuba).
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-jose-abreu-cuba-csn-special-20160127-story.html

Jose doesn't speak English - so it would make sense for him to go to management.

if you were Kenny Williams, and your star player complained about another player who wasn't pulling his weight - which side would you be on?

Abreu - 2015- 30HR .290BA
Laroche -2015- 12HR .207 BA - <- those are not DH caliber stats.

Good riddance - Laroche did everyone (except his agent) a favor.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam LaRoche: Standing up for his family or just being unreasonable? [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is that it was Jose Abreu. Abreu has a 5 year old son that he's seen once in 5 years (because he can't get the kid out of Cuba).

Why would that cause him to object to LaRoche having his kid in the clubhouse?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Adam Laroche's Twitter:

https://twitter.com/e3laroche/status/725436321724932096
b

"Don't forget, tomorrow is take your child to work day. "

The responses are brutal:

"emphasis on the word "day" (singular)"

Good Riddance - the Chisox have the best record in the AL at 16-6 (going unnoticed because the Cubs get all the press). They Swept the Rangers and the Blue Jays. Sale, Quintana, and Latos are pitching out of their minds, and this years' defense is greatly improved over last year.

I thought it was a great move getting rid of him - but now it looks like absolute genius
Last edited by: ChiTownJack: Apr 27, 16 19:16
Quote Reply
Re: Adam LaRoche: Standing up for his family or just being unreasonable? [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched the game last night. Same script as almost every other Jays game this year. Starting pitcher is great. Hands it off to the bullpen and the wheels fall off.

The Jays bullpen is 0-7 with 5 blown saves this year. Brutal.

> 50% of inherited runners have scored. League average is roughly 25%.

Quote Reply

Prev Next