Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone else have a problem watching football on TV because [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No shortage of windbags when it comes to football.

I gave up on the NFL after watching the pre-game and half-time talks when you have 4 or 5 ex-NFL players or coaches go on and on ad nauseum. It's like a testosterone hyped bar where everyone tried to talk over the other. Then the commentary during the games when anyone who makes a good play is the next Joe Montana or Barry Sanders.

I just couldn't watch so haven't turned into a single football game in 6 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else have a problem watching football on TV because [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
tigermilk wrote:
I much prefer real football

Me too. Wish I could see more on TV. All I get see is U8, U10, and U12 most of the time.

I also prefer the flow of the game in futbol. American football is clearly about all the commercial breaks.

And the situation with broadcast TV is getting better quickly. Today was a good example-- we had the EPL on NBC and the Bundesliga on Fox.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else have a problem watching football on TV because [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't planning on watching but just happened to flip on the TV during lunch as match began. Couldn't stop watching -- watched the whole thing. Beautiful goal in extra time in EPL.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else have a problem watching football on TV because [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
Right now I'm watching another favorite team of broadcasters-- Joe Buck and Troy Aikman.

That was supposed to be pink, right?

I fully expected the thread to be "Anyone else have a problem watching football on TV because ... of Joe Buck"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are pompous windbags. For years and years I would turn down the sound on MNF and listen to Jack Buck and Hank Stram on CBS radio. There has never been an analyst, on radio or TV, as good as Hank Stram was. But I quit watching football simply because it takes too much time. Too many stoppages. Too many commercials. Too long halftimes. I can't justify using up 3+ hours for what amounts to maybe 10-15 minutes of actual play. I've simply got better things to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else have a problem watching football on TV because [CrankyNeck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watch much less football when I'm not in a Fantasy League

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else have a problem watching football on TV because [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
What I like about EPL announcing is that it's normally one guy telling you what's happening. There's no colour man. The. Ollie man is the worst part of North American announcing. I think that they get paid per word.

No, there's fucking Lee Dixon, Arsenal scum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
That was one of the reasons I stopped watching football and fail to be able to get back into it every time I've tried. Brent Musberger (sp?) in particular use to annoy the hell out of me.

H- wrote:
Mostly I don't know who's who these days among sportscasters, but Brent is one I recall and I can't stand.

Musturdburger was the absolute antichrist. Chris Fowler will be a huge upgrade.

What I do appreciate is when you have a former coach or player with a personal history at one of the schools or with one of the coaching staffs of the current game doing the commentary, who can give a more detailed story or insight that even the average fan with general knowledge of the game/conferences/standings, etc, wouldn't know.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else have a problem watching football on TV because [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
zed707 wrote:
Right now I'm watching another favorite team of broadcasters-- Joe Buck and Troy Aikman.

That was supposed to be pink, right?

I fully expected the thread to be "Anyone else have a problem watching football on TV because ... of Joe Buck"

Agreed, Joe and Troy are the only idiots that get me riled up, but even then it is mostly laughing at their stupidity, doesn't generally make me mad. They do tend to have some amazing man crushes on a lot of different dudes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wasn't this the same conversation from earlier this month?

World coverage of the Olympics vs. US... In years past, NBC would stream olympic events without commentary, just the talking-free feed. Odd but OK. This year, NBC streamed the OBS (official Olympic broadcast) with English commentary. It was amazing, even without the accent-biases. No homers.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else have a problem watching football on TV because [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. It is from last fall, but I resurrected it to say I like ELP commentators.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply

Prev Next